Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Slung T

That tab is about an inch into the tubing.

That's a lot stronger than what it looked like from the pic . . . just that all the leverage is working against the weakest direction

Hopefully it will be fine, but not a big deal to change/repair if it falls a bit short . . .

In all fairness to your comment, I did use flat washers to make the shapes on my templates and as guides to shapes the little pieces.
We will see how it goes. If it breaks, I have a plan B.

How long is stuff like Durabond, tiger hair, regular filler and the hardener good for sitting on my shelf? I haven’t messed with any of the stuff I have since I started getting ready for my move from Pa to Tx. Been about 2 years. Would any of you use this stuff?

In my opinion, it should be good, if stored in unopened containers under less than extreme conditions. Try a test patch and see for yourself. ;)

The bondo type stuff should be ok as long as it didn’t dry out and stiffen up. The hardener may not be good. I found that resin doesn’t keep very well. Try it to see before applying it to your project, it’s a pita to clean out if it isn’t good... ask me how I know, lol.

Thanks gentlemen. I’ll mix it up real well and test it out.

Just go buy some new creme hardener for the small cost.
I've had it go bad rather quickly if its left around and it leaves little chunks of unmixed hardener in the mixed filler that makes it a bit hard to spread. It also leaves those little chunks in-bedded into the filled area with the potential of causing blisters etc to appear later on after painting.
Another thing that happens is the hardener components separate inside the tube over time and its difficult to knead the tube to the point it all remixes.
Just not worth the little cost saving you will see by trying to use it.

How thick of metal do you think these alternator brackets need made out of? I’m debating whether it would be financially better to buy metal and make it myself or just buy a kit that someone already makes. I have a big sheet of 3/16” but I’m guessing this would need something thicker. The kit pictured is $100 but if Ron makes it, I’m sure the price will be way better.
BE13D622-F9F2-426B-91AE-B2896EA92EED.jpeg 34D8DA0E-8834-4276-AEF2-0173A831C7A9.jpeg

The bondo fiberglass body filler ( a.k.a kitty hair ) separates. You'll find a lot of liquid lying on top of the filler. I just stir & mix it back together & use it . You might need to replace the tube of hardener.

Thanks all. I’ll throw away my hardener and go from there.
I did find a small piece of 1/4 in my garage so I’ll make that bracket out of it. I may just make a test for one first out of some thinner metal to make sure my template is right before I mess it up on the last bit of 1/4” I have. Lol

Just go buy some new creme hardener for the small cost.
I've had it go bad rather quickly if its left around and it leaves little chunks of unmixed hardener in the mixed filler that makes it a bit hard to spread. It also leaves those little chunks in-bedded into the filled area with the potential of causing blisters etc to appear later on after painting.
Another thing that happens is the hardener components separate inside the tube over time and its difficult to knead the tube to the point it all remixes.
Just not worth the little cost saving you will see by trying to use it.
You described hardener failure perfectly, lol! I just experienced exactly what you described... of course it was a late night, emergency repair, so I had to use what was on hand.

Quick Update. Ordered the alternator bracket from Ron. Should be seeing it soon. Doesn't sound like it is going to work with my stack alternator which is a CS144. I'm waiting till I get the bracket to be sure but it seems like I'll need a CS 130 alternator with the smaller mounting distance. No big deal though, the alternator I have on hand doesn't work anyway so I need to get a new one regardless.
Also ordered my fuel pump and filters setup. Should have those parts. When I get them, Ill figure out where I want to put them and then move on to ordering the lines. For the hard lines, I'm on the fence of getting stainless or Ni/Co. Leaning to Ni/Co. Not sure I will really need stainless and of course its much harder to work with. When you all buy stainless tubing from Mcmaster-Carr, which one do you get. There are soooooooo many options.

While working on molding in my windshield posts last night, I began thinking about how secure it will be. Only 2 bolts hod the windshield frame onto the posts?? Is that really enough securement?

I do remember another member posting earlier on this thread that he added studs to the frame that went through the cowl and attached to a piece of metal under the dash. What is everyone else's opinion on this? Has anyone had any problems with just the two bolts holding it in?

Indy,what is the stainless tube for? You didn’t mention it yesterday during our marathon frame session. I want to thank you again for
the help.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back