Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Slung T

New part of the project. getting this pile of receipts in some semi logical order. Less than two weeks to step 1 of the titling process!
3EEC9DED-06E7-48F8-974F-91B7935FA19B.jpeg

Tomorrow’s is step 1 of the titling process! Have to prove I didn’t steal any of it. Should be a quick and easy day. But hopefully the rain holds off!
I have been through the process numerous times in Ohio on totals, salvage, etc... the pain here is if you bought parts from a private owner, they want soc sec no., photo ID, draft status maybe, lol... other than that pretty straight forward with receipts. I have also been contacted by the state highway patrol, over selling parts, requesting me to sign a affidavit and provide soc, etc. I refused and simply replied that I don’t sell parts as a vocation and was simply clearing out my shop... yes I sold so and so some various parts leftover from past projects. Just be sure what they require.

Fletch, what are the requirements to title where you are? In TX I just bought a title on the internet and used it to get a TX title for my new bucket. But that was 30 years ago. Now the state would never tell you about that method, they wanted a list of all the major parts with prices and for me to jump thru a number of silly hoops. My first visit to the title office they didn't understand building a car from scratch. Kept asking "yes, but what car did you start with?"

Loaded up and ready to go in the morning. An enclosed trailer sure would be nice.

PotvinGuy - Texas has 5 steps the way I count them. First go to the sheriffs office and prove you own the body, frame and engine. That is what I’m hopefully doing in the morning. Then to DPS to get a VIN assigned. Get a certificate of weight next. Then ASE master tech inspections and last to the Tax of to get a title and registration.
41B9FECA-3C87-4758-BBEA-3A17318C6CE5.jpeg

Loaded up and ready to go in the morning. An enclosed trailer sure would be nice.

PotvinGuy - Texas has 5 steps the way I count them. First go to the sheriffs office and prove you own the body, frame and engine. That is what I’m hopefully doing in the morning. Then to DPS to get a VIN assigned. Get a certificate of weight next. Then ASE master tech inspections and last to the Tax of to get a title and registration.
View attachment 20017
Oh, I missed who I should have been addressing. You're in Katy. Yes, the official way is what the state wants. I think it will be titled something like "2020 assembled vehicle", or other goofy designation. And it may have to pass annual inspection. I'm now in MN and no inspections here. But we have state income tax, ugh.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I’m waiting on a call back. They said I could just come next week, but I can’t just go next week.

Fletch, what are the requirements to title where you are? In TX I just bought a title on the internet and used it to get a TX title for my new bucket. But that was 30 years ago. Now the state would never tell you about that method, they wanted a list of all the major parts with prices and for me to jump thru a number of silly hoops. My first visit to the title office they didn't understand building a car from scratch. Kept asking "yes, but what car did you start with?"
I haven’t done a home built vehicle but last time I had to get a salvage title, they required paying for an application from the BMV, then a highway patrol inspection that also required proof of ownership and parts purchase, then back to pay the BMV again, for a certificate of title. It used to be simpler.

They told me I can come what we Wednesday I want. Just to let them know. I’m planning on two weeks from now.

The set back is a bummer. You've come this far & accomplished a lot , 2 weeks will be a breeze. Hang in there dwsatt21.

Attempt #2 to prove to the sheriffs office that I own this thing is all set and ready for tomorrow. Car is on the trailer and the weather looks clear this time! Let’s get this process rolling!

It’s been a bit since I’ve updated so here it is.
First tim I went to the DMV, last post, they sent me packing. Apparently they change the process. Have to got the weight slip, ASE inspection and fill out the application title before visiting the dmv now. Used to be that you got your vin and did the inspection, weight slip and application.
There is a big flaw in there new process. The ASE inspection has question 1 being “is vin plate attached”. The dmv told me to tell the ASE inspector to just put NA there. Turned out to be very difficult finding a master tech to do this beings that the form says in real big letters that falsifying it is a Third Degree felony... finally found one who would do it but I had to wait a bit for him to renew his certs. He let them go last year bc they had the testing facilities shut down most of the year. But I have that done now.
Took it to the local cat scales to get the weight ticket. This was interesting. The scales had a hard time registering it but when it finally did it weighed in at 1780 with the fuel tank 3.2 gallons short of full. How do I know it was exactly 3.2 gallons short you may ask? Well, they couldn’t print out a slip with anything less than 2000 lbs. so I had to weigh it down a bit and try again. Filled the tank full, took everything I had out of my truck and put it in my bucket, and kept myself in it while it was being weighed. I have a slip that says 2040 lbs. good enough for the state. So right now, I visited the dmv, they collected all of my stuff and sent it into Austin to get a title and vin assigned. Just waiting for that to come back. Should be a couple of weeks. Tons of fun but if anyone else is in Houston and needs some help with this, I believe I have it figured out.

Sounds like a bunch of hoop jumping. Glad you got it moving along and hopefully have it whipped. Okla. isn't very difficult if you have everything (parts) listed and serial numbers of engine and frame and/or body. Used to have to go to Highway Patrol for inspection, but not any longer. Tag office does final inspection of serial number that state issues and that is it. I always thought it was too easy to be safe from thefts.

Sounds like a bunch of hoop jumping.

I believe they're honestly trying to catch the thieves and scofflaws in the stolen cars/parts racket. That's probably why each state is so different in their requirements, and keep changing them, too. Unfortunately, us honest folks have to bear with all the BS and inconvenience. Such a shame that the dishonest few muck it up for the rest of us But I guess that applies to a lot of things we face in life. Glad you got it done. Lotta love on this site for those who persist! ;)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back