Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Master Cylinder & Push Rods

I followed your advice and moved the pedal pivot point back another 4 inches and moved it up as well as can be seen in the first two pictures.
100_5239_zps9172c140.jpg

100_5236_zpscf19238c.jpg

This is the pivot point that I made for the balance bar and with a relaxed pedal.

100_5233_zpsc2eec8ed.jpg

Here is another shot of the balance bar holder/pivot with the pedal depressed.

100_5234_zps4e44fa2f.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the support bracket that will tie the balance bar pivot & master cylinder together.

100_5237_zps05287d98.jpg

100_5241_zpscaa17fe8.jpg

If everyone thinks this looks as if it may work, I'll clean it up and weld it all in place. Thank you for the help Dave and Ron. I think we may be onto something here.

What I see is ... your m/c's are going to be above the floor ?? ... are your m/c pushrods "level w the cyl's when depressed?? .. I'd make that gusset go all the way to the crossmember..... you need outside reinforcement on the pedal pivot.
dave

Only the M/C covers come through the floor. The push rods are pretty close to being level when depressed with no binding. What type of reinforcement or how is a better question for the pedal pivot?

Something from the frame to the unsupported end of the pivot bolt , also if possible , space the pedal off the frame so you don't have to run the long spacer to the pushrod. There could be a lot of leverage against those points , i.e. panic stop , you don't want that stuff flexing , I think you'd be surprised at how much force you could apply in an emergency..
dave

Something from the frame to the unsupported end of the pivot bolt , also if possible , space the pedal off the frame so you don't have to run the long spacer to the pushrod. There could be a lot of leverage against those points , i.e. panic stop , you don't want that stuff flexing , I think you'd be surprised at how much force you could apply in an emergency..
dave

Dave,
I'm probably going to leave it until the weekend before I do anything else. I was thinking the same thing about the gusset and making a new one. I can also run the spacer on the inside of the pedal and I'll also be making a support as well. Not sure what I'll make but as I said, I'll have a couple of days to look around or come up with something. I'll post pictures with the new and improved ideas. Thank you again for your help.
Jim

Here is the progress after a couple of days away. I moved the pedal back to 8 inches from inside of the firewall to get that extra little bit of travel. The pedal mount was beefed up as was the balance bar mount. With all the changes I can now get all but 1/4 into the master cylinders.

This picture shows the pedal mount.
100_5243_zps62e45802.jpg

Relaxed pedal
100_5244_zps08c2ca35.jpg

Masters under pressure.
100_5247_zps8993eddd.jpg

I'm not sure that I'm going to like this set up and the pedal being 8" back from the firewall. That will put the pedal right at the front side of the door. I'm almost thinking that the other style pedal might be the way to go. Any thoughts?

My pedal is a little over 11" from the inside of the firewall but my cowl has been extended 6". It is very comfortable for me even though I'm over 6'-1" with a 34" inseam.

Jim

Mine's about that far back, I'm 6'1" also [at least I used to be] but my legs are 2" shorter than Jim's. I'd still like to see something supporting the inside of your pedal pivot bolt , just don't care for things "hanging" out there. Is it just the pic angle or is the sector shaft not perpendicular to the frame?? Hey , you asked me what I see.

dave

I just can't seem to get the location of the pedal through my head as it seems out of proportion to me. I'm looking for comfort and drive ability & I find it hard to get a feel for something when the body is off the frame. I'd prefer not to make Swiss cheese out of the floorboard trying to find the best location where everything works as it should. So I also find it difficult to box in the pedal pivot bolt until the final location has been found.
The selector shaft is not perpendicular to the frame. I needed to point the steering gear & column towards the center of the car to get the proper clearance needed for my left hand between the door and steering wheel. I can however move the drag link to the other side of the pitman arm to align the drag link to be perpendicular with the frame.

My pedal is a little over 11" from the inside of the firewall but my cowl has been extended 6". It is very comfortable for me even though I'm over 6'-1" with a 34" inseam.

Jim
What is the distance from the front of the seat? Thank you for the replys

What is the distance from the front of the seat? Thank you for the replys

From the front edge of the bottom cushion to the pedal pad I measure 19" and from the backrest, where my bottom is, I measure 37". I might also add that the "arm" that comes through the floor is at about a 20 degree angle forward and at the top of the arm there is a rearward bend that places the face of the foot pad about 5" back from the center line of the arm that comes up through the floor. The center of the foot pad is 6" off the floor and sets at 90 degrees to the floor. The forward edge of the arm measures is about 5" from the firewall in the at rest position and about 2 1/2" when depressed. Please note that all the measurements are as close as I can get them while leaning over the side and about standing on my head and moving the pedal by hand . I hope that gives you what you need.

Jim

P.S. I might also add that the arm that I'm using I purchased from Speedway.

Last edited:
From where my seat "back" meets the seat cushion [about where your tailbone ends up ] is 32" to the pedal pad , normal "stroke" is 3-4" . I guess alot of this depends on how "limber " you are & how well you conform yourself to the confines.
dave

Looks like were in the same ball park. I'll kick this around a little before I move on. Thanks Jim & Dave.

I placed the body back on the frame and I'm thinking I could probably live with this location. I won't have the time to get back to it until Sunday so I'll have a couple of days to think about it. Funny how I can take all the measurements and draw something out on the floor and it just doesn't look right. Then I get the body back on and sit in it and get a whole different perception of the situation.

Yep !! Ain't that sumthin! Sometimes you just have to get in the car. I try to use the K.I.S.S. principal as much as possible. ROLL TIDE

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back