Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Metal Body - Can I make one?

Ron Covell is a "master" metal shaper, he has been building cool car bodies for a long time now. I doubt that it would be very easy to duplicate what he does without spending big $$$$. Shrinkers, stretchers, english wheel, planishing hammers etc. etc. Unless you are young and plan on building lots of cars or parts to make the tool investment worthwile, I'd stick with either a glass replica or an orginal steel body and modify it to your needs/desires.

Ron Covell is a "master" metal shaper, he has been building cool car bodies for a long time now. I doubt that it would be very easy to duplicate what he does without spending big $$$$. Shrinkers, stretchers, english wheel, planishing hammers etc. etc. Unless you are young and plan on building lots of cars or parts to make the tool investment worthwile, I'd stick with either a glass replica or an orginal steel body and modify it to your needs/desires.

No I'm not a young guy fast approching 40 lol. I will only build one more car in my life or at least that is what I told myself. I will more then likely go glass if I can find an original.

No I'm not a young guy fast approching 40 lol. I will only build one more car in my life or at least that is what I told myself. I will more then likely go glass if I can find an original.

Might you be interested in a '26-'27 touring body otherwise known as a "tub". If it has not sold yet ( it was available for $500) I can get you the info. I think that I still have pictures of it when another guy was going to buy it.

Jim

Look around at all the sheetmatel venders that make the parts for these cars, order all your parts, cowls, doors, etc, then assemble as a kit. There alot of fitting and fab this way, some of these parts aren't too friendly with others, fit wise. AND ITS EXPENSIVE, TOO!
Steel is heavier than fiberglass, once your floor is in the fiberglass body and its attached securely to the frame, its not going anywhere. Alot cheaper, easier in the longrun, and lighter for even better performance. Not to mention, theres no rust, dents, sharp edges to cut lines and hoses....
Theres alot of folks out there hurting in this economy, bodys can be had for a little of nothing if you look around. To build a body correctly, your gonna need planishing hammers, English wheel, body hammers, oxy/acety. torches, mig, not to mention alot of patience and Knowhow. I'm not trying to discourage you, just want to tell ya what your in for.
while these tools can be had for cheaply at Harbor Freight, their less than ideal quality and slack, its a uphill battle using these unless you have ALOT of experience using them.
Try contouring a 32 fender on a good quality english wheel, then try one on a ChinaMart special, you'd go insane.
Get your fiberglass one put it on your car, run with it, then do your metal one on the side, if thats what you want. Its alot of work, even for a pro shop, to get everything smooth, straight, fitted and flush. Time in a pro shop= Big Money. I've seen folks bring in a hammered and rolled metal body, only to be handed a $2000 ticket to get things finished out, straightened and preped for paint. Then a custom paint job on top of that....

Francis, I didn't know you were 73 years young!!!! Hahaha.....I feel like a kid now! hahahaha.......Next few years, I'm gonna have to break down and have my knees replaced, backs starting to get stiff....hands getting stiff too. When its cold out side, I gotta go stand in a hot shower for about 15 minutes before I can move around and get dressed. I keep telling everyone I'm a classic....

I had to have a knee replaced Dec of 2010 never had any trouble getting back on my feet. As long as I feel I will keep going.

Hey guys just saw all the replies and thank you. Yeah Im not going to go out and buy that much metal and try to do it. I did ask a friend in TX who is a metal fab guy if he could make me a body and I'm waiting to hear back on it.

Francis you are a young man and still going strong!

I wish I had good jeans lol I had a stroke at 29 and its been a long road back, but I'm back.

Ex-Junk I will send a pm to you.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back