Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mike, need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckofficer

Banned
Mike,

Gordon (twin engine Ford) has been lurking but is still having problems getting registered. I would really like this guy to be able to join us here on the forum because I think he has some rather unique fabracation skills. I know your a busy guy, but if you have time to hold his hand to get him registered I would be grateful. His email is gct53@earthlink.net name is Gordon Tronson.

Thanks much,

Bob

Bob, here's what I need to know -

His operating system and version (Windows, XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, OS X, Linux [what distro], etc.)
The browser he is using and version (Internet Explorer, 7, 8, 9, Opera, Firefox, etc.)
A detailed description of where he runs into problems, what the problem is and what happens when he tries to work around it. If an error code appears, I need to know the error code.

Have him send those details to webmaster at this domain (tbucketeers.com).

I've just modified the registration process, in an attempt to cut down on all the registration bots we're seeing. After making the change, I tested the system. I waltzed right through the process with nary a snag, received the confirmation e-mail within seconds and confirmed the registration immediately thereafter. The entire process might have taken me two minutes, from get-go to gone. When you first mentioned he was having problems, I tested the registration process and had no problems then, either. I have absolutely no problems with any part of the process, so I'm already quite sure the problem is client-side and not server-related (a.k.a. PICNIC). So, all I can do is try to duplicate his operating environment and test the system from there.

Thanks Mike,

I hope I steered Gordon in the right direction as he called me tonight. I'm not sure he understands that webmaster@ (you know the rest) is a way to email you. I hope I was able to clear that up for him. Please understand, a lot of us do not understand computers the way that you do, and most of us are at an age that we did not have them in college. Had I not gone back to school in my 40's, I'd be even more clueless than I am now. The same applies to your knowledge of cars. The fact that you functioned in an area of competition with rules and restrictions and still managed to design/build winning dragsters that could cover a 1/4 mile faster than other compeitors, well again you probably have forgotton more than I will ever know on that subject. Some of us on the forum crave new knowledge and on the mechanical front you exhibit great patience. On the computer front, no so much. I'm sure I have a better understanding of 32,000 ton drilling vessels than you, and if this was a Offshore Oil Forum I would be hounded for insight. The common denomanator is for any of us to function on the forums we do have to learn something about these computers. I've lurked and learned alot from you on web hosting, operating platforms, etc. I don't comment on those threads because I would have nothing worthwhile to contribute, but do read and try and understand.

Thank you again for helping Gordon. When I talked to him he seems like a pretty decent bloke. He is a Kiwi, remember?

Bob

Apologies for taking so long to reply. I was sick as a dog for about 36 hours and am just now able to teeter around a bit.

Perhaps you would care to explain how I am meant to diagnose a problem someone is offering me zero details about? Particularly before suggesting I am somehow being impatient with anyone, or being unwilling to help out with computer problems (that have nothing to do with the operation of this forum, mind you).

Here's an excellent example, of what I mean.

Bob, my car won't start. I need to get going and it will not start. Fix it for me.

Where have I left you? Are you wondering what symptoms my car is displaying? I didn't bother to give you a single detail, did I? But I still want my car fixed. What's wrong with it? You're a car guy, just fix the bloody thing.

Would you walk into an emergency room and tell the staff you just don't feel good, without offering them a single detail? Doc, stop asking me all the inane questions, just fix me up because I don't feel good.

I think if you were to ask around, you would find I have gone out of my way, on countless occasions, to help people with computer issues. A couple weeks ago, a member contacted me about a problem he was having with Photobucket. Now I ask you, what in the world am I meant to know about Photobucket? Fortunately, he had given me enough details, so I spent some time with Mr. Google and managed to help sort out the problem.

In Gordon's case, I gave you a detailed list of things I would need to know, in order to help him sort out his problem. See Post #2, where I said I would need to know operating system details, browser details and details about when the error crops up, as well as the error number.

Some 42 minutes after your post, I got an e-mail from Gordon.

Have tried to register but get error (the registration code is not the one displayed)

That's it. That is the message in its entirety. No operating system details. No browser details. No error details. No error number.

I've no clue what registration code he is talking about and if it is not the one displayed, then what is displayed? Where is it displayed? He gets an error? What error? At what point in the registration process does the error appear? What, am I meant to guess? And yet you suggest I am somehow being impatient?

Some simple facts about Mike -

1. I do not and can not read minds.
2. I do not own a crystal ball.
3. I do not own a magic wand.

By the way, have you diagnosed the problem with my car and got it running yet? Why not? Are you just trying to be disagreeable with me? Fix my car. Oh, you want to know what happens when I try to start it? Duh, Bob. NOTHING happens, that's my problem.

As for needing to know how a computer works to function on a forum, I completely disagree. Before he passed, my 82 year-old father was more than capable of using e-mail and discussion forums. He was scared to death to turn the computer on, but if it was turned on, he could do what he wanted to do. (And he did it using Linux, too!) I do a lot of freelance forum work and you would be amazed at how clueless many (most?) forum admins really are. They are lost in space. But they still operate successful forums, some of them quite large. They are in the business of running discussion forums, not fixing computer problems.

You're correct is noting this is not an Offshore Oil forum. Discussions of that nature never come up, because this is a T-Bucket forum. This isn't a computer tech forum, either. Where do my obligations start and stop (bearing in mind that this is but one of ten different Web sites I own)? We've had 2,249+ members register for this forum, without any problems. I've tested and re-tested the registration process, without any problems. My forum is operating as intended, what further obligation do I have to you or anyone else? You want to call me impatient without knowing the kinds of computer problems I've helped others fix? Just to make you aware, I've never charged anyone a thin dime to help them fix problems that have never had anything to do with the operation of this site.

Forum registration is not computer science, it is a process of filling in an application. There is no need to have any technical background to fill in some blanks, is there? I've news for you, if you've gone back to school to receive computer training, you've a leg up on me. My computer 'training' all came from the School of Hard Knocks.

All I know for sure about Gordon's problem is that he is doing something wrong. And without details as to what he is doing, so I can sort what is wrong about it, I am severely limited in the help I can provide. Maybe you don't like that, but the facts are the facts.

If Gordon would care to share with me the details I've requested, I will try to sort out his problem for him. I have replied to his uber-informative <cough, cough> e-mail, explaining I cannot help him, if he cannot provide me with details. If he stubbornly prefers not to provide those details, that is his prerogative and I have no problem with it. Please bear that in mind, before alleging I am somehow being impatient, or unwilling to help others. I do my best to help those that help themselves and I simply do not have time to help those who cannot be bothered.

Mike,

Gordon cc'ed me his email to you when I directed him that "webmaster@" is an email address. Yes, he didn't even know that. What I got in the copy was no answers to any of the questions you asked of him. I have since re-emailed him with all your questions highlighted. Some folks really need their hand held durng a computer explanation. Is he ignoring your emails too? I now have sent him twice, your list of questions, and I don't know how many times you have emailed him. Maybe we can't help him.

Bob

I've just responded to him. I've carefully explained I asked him some very specific questions that were going to require some very specific answers. And if he is unwilling to provide those answers, then I've no way to will help him.

If I had been asking him what speed his processor was running, I could understand him not knowing. But when I ask him what version of what browser he is running and he gives me half an answer? When I ask him if he is getting an error message and to please provide the message to me, he says "it" happens here. Now that is a lot of help. The whatsis is on top of the thingamajig.

From the tortured explanation he offered, it sounds to me as if he's not supplying answers to the reCAPTCHA words. Without it, he's never going to get registered.

I'm almost willing to bet the farm he's running Internet Explorer 6 for a browser. Which means he's likely not seeing the form.

Then again, both are merely guesses, as he's not willing to give me the information I asked him to supply. But since he's still running Windows 2000, dollars to donuts he's running IE6. Which means he's never going to see large chunks of the forum, even if he can register.

I'm back to the dozens of other pressing issues on my list for today. Being in bed all day yesterday has really left me behind the eight ball.

Mike,

Chances are good he doesn't know how to find out what browser he is using. I will walk him through that.

Bob

Hey Bob,go easy on the "he is a Kiwi" sort of comment. :hey: I think the guy you are talking to has lived in the USA for so long he has even lost his Kiwi accent. :sob:
Hope you are feeling better soon Mike. :puke:

Hey Bob,go easy on the "he is a Kiwi" sort of comment. :hey: I think the guy you are talking to has lived in the USA for so long he has even lost his Kiwi accent. :sob:
Hope you are feeling better soon Mike. :puke:

I've talked to him on the phone. He has lost better than 50% of his accent.

Bob

He apparently couldn't be bothered to supply me the details I've requested. Which makes this all out to be a big to-do about absolutely nothing at all.

Bob, I hope you can now see the difference between my very real indifference to this fiasco and what you imagined to be impatience. When people have ID 10T problems, I generally like to stay out of the way and let them suffer in silence, rather than waste my time trying to fix what can't be fixed at all.

Case closed.

Move along people, nothing to be seen here. There never was, actually...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back