Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

More Trailer Stuff

rbsWELDER

A couple of questions for the trailering folks:

1-I bought an Autozone Deep Cycle (Marine) battery for my trailer, to operate a winch and interior lights. The first battery died just as the one year warranty was about to expire and Autozone replaced the battery at no charge. The second Autozone battery died just after the warranty expired, so I need to replace that battery. I have determined that Johnson Controls makes the batteries for AZ, so I will avoid that manufacturer in the future!
  • Was my thinking flawed in using a marine battery to power the trailer electrics?
  • Do you have a recommendation for a replacement battery for trailer use?
2-I have not used the trailer in a year and with the cancellation of Mountain Home Run, it will probably be eight months before it rolls again. I am concerned about the tires flat spotting, so I plan to put the trailer up on jackstands. My questions is: Is there a correct method, as to where the jackstands are placed. I have contacted my trailer manufacturer and got no response.

I have had good luck with AZ batteries, but now buy them from Rural King because they are much less expensive and I have numerous uses. Normally, deep cycle batteries last longer and are more tolerant to long non use periods, etc, such as your application. I would make sure there are no power drains or simply add a disconnect or unhook it when not in use. Many guys bring them inside when not in use to avoid the temperature and climate variations. I don’t, just a thought. Maybe buy a cheap trickle charger/maintainer to keep it charged. I have had numerous battery failures in the past couple of years, more than normal. I think the weather plays a part. I do know that a discharged lead acid battery is prone to freezing, which destroys them. As for jacking and storage, depending on your trailer design, I would place jack stands in front and behind the spring hangers and take the stress off of the tires and springs, remember the uv issue, the newer tires deteriorate rapidly when exposed to it. You may also consider lowering the air pressure while in storage.

I always bring the battery in for the winter months. I like Rural King, but we have none in NC.

Thanks for the tip on lowering air pressure.

You could get a simple solar charger, that way you can take it with you and keep it charged when you get to your destination.

Charging is not my problem. It is wired to charge when I am driving. Also I use a battery tender between times. I monitor voltage with a Battery Tender Monitor wireless to my phone.

I want a better battery, without spending hundreds.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back