Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Budget Traditional T Build

bobs66440

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Well, the process has begun. For the sake of ease (budget and build wise) I decided to go with either a small block Ford or Chevy with an automatic trans. After sifting through some possibilities, I landed on this '84 Camaro Z-28. 305, 700R4 and open rear.

IMG_1683900x672_zpsec8c1edc.jpg

IMG_1681900x672_zps2bfc5199.jpg

IMG_1685900x672_zps4f1b67c3.jpg

IMG_1684900x672_zps7632ea79.jpg

IMG_1682900x672_zps6fb9f13f.jpg

It's a very rust free and fairly clean example. The engine is warmed over with a Eddy Performer cam, intake and carb. It starts right up and runs awesome. The trans was rebuilt 2000 miles ago and I assume the rear is good (haven't driven it). It has all new tires, brakes and front end parts. Also has a brand new fiberglass cowl induction hood. The best part is I got it for $1000. It's almost too nice to take apart. You don't see many around here that are this clean. But the fact is, they just aren't worth much. Sooo, she's comin' apart!

I can use the engine (needs to be cleaned and painted, but otherwise good), trans, rear and brakes directly from the car. I can sell the wheels & tires for maybe $200-$300. The hood is almost $600 new, so $300 shouldn't be a problem. I can probably part out a lot of the rest for an additional $500 or so. But, even if I just scrap it, I should be able to get $200 for it. So, all in all, I should be able to end up with the whole drive train for around $300. Not too bad so far...

I'll keep you posted on the progress....

You're going to be happy with that engine and trans combo. That 700R4 will let you build either a stormer off the line with 5:13 rear end gears, a high gas mileage cruiser with much taller gears or anything in between.

Wow, for a NY car, that body is clean. Before you scrap it, put it up on craigslist, will make a great drag car!

Some new parts arrived in good condition Tuesday and are very nice overall. I started to mock it up to see how it will look. I am waiting on a few more parts to make it a roller. Hopefully within a week or so I should have most of the chassis components mocked up. I had it made with a 2" drop built in to the front spring perch and rear kick up.

That's not the rear end out of the camaro is it? Looks like a fun car to build, everything is so nice and clean.

Overall the kit looks good and the price you paid for the running gear is incredable.
The only thing that I have a problem with is the rear panhard set-up as those mounts distract for the rest of the nice work the builder did and that the bar is short and on a downward angle as it should be level a ride hight.

Overall the kit looks good and the price you paid for the running gear is incredable.
The only thing that I have a problem with is the rear panhard set-up as those mounts distract for the rest of the nice work the builder did and that the bar is short and on a downward angle as it should be level a ride hight.

I will see how the panhard bar ends up after the suspension is fully weighted and the ride height is fine-tuned. It should level out some.

Great! Do you have a tank yet?

Not yet. I was going to try to use a steel air tank or similar so I can weld in fittings for a sight glass (clear fuel line tube), fill cap, drain etc. I can't weld aluminum at home and the the spun aluminum tanks are expensive. The trick is finding the right shape/size/ capacity.

Not yet. I was going to try to use a steel air tank or similar so I can weld in fittings for a sight glass (clear fuel line tube), fill cap, drain etc. I can't weld aluminum at home and the the spun aluminum tanks are expensive. The trick is finding the right shape/size/ capacity.

Define expensive........... You can buy them off a used dune buggy for cheap.

You can go here for used ones on a vw website.............. www.thesamba.com

here is a 11 gallon one for a $100 bill,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1451525

And sweet build, AT least the headlights on the camaro wont run out of juice. haha

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back