Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My first T build.

smokeyco75

Well I am finally able to start buying parts for my build so I thought I would start a thread here. Ordered a stretched body and frame from Ron Pope so far. The look I am going for is kind of a mix of things I like from different styles. I will be using rocket gasser wheels but will have a low, slightly raked car. I will be fabricating lift bars for the rear instead of radius rods. I will probably use hairpins in the front. Chassis and body will be black with traditional flames and suspension components will be silver. I will be building my own bed out of wood and fibberglass. More details to come as they become more concrete.

Quick update. I just picked up a 1996 S10 rear with 3.42 gears for 90 bucks from the local salvage yard. It was 125 bucks but when he found out it was for a streetrod he cut me a break. Sound like a decent deal?

Good deal! The pic a parts here are about $90-100. We paid $95 for the same axle for our current project. Parts are cheap for these and can be found at any auto parts house. Ron has the coilover mounts to fit the diameter of these axle tubes. We used them on our axle.

I forgot to mention I priced a 350 from a 96 truck they had with over 215000 miles. 950 bucks. I was thinking 400 tops but they wouldnt budge. Looks like im either hitting craiglist for a buildable motor or going with a crate motor.

Quick update. I just picked up a 1996 S10 rear with 3.42 gears for 90 bucks from the local salvage yard. It was 125 bucks but when he found out it was for a streetrod he cut me a break. Sound like a decent deal?

Sounds like a good deal. As a matter of fact, that is the same exact rear that I have in my car. Only difference is that I changed to a 4.10 Eaton posi.

Jim

I forgot to mention I priced a 350 from a 96 truck they had with over 215000 miles. 950 bucks. I was thinking 400 tops but they wouldn't budge. Looks like im either hitting craiglist for a buildable motor or going with a crate motor.

$900 for a standard 350 with that many miles is no deal. I'd find one running or one much cheaper and rebuild it yourself. 350's are dirt cheap to rebuild, but to be honest, a crate motor would be even easier.

Just put a crate motor from Summit in my 58 truck. $1509.97 total price no charge for delivery to nearest terminal and no tax.

Core value on sbc is usually $200 +- , Bore & hone -$200 , Rebuild "stock " parts -$200 , heads [try & find a good set] ???$$$ you might get lucky & find a set someone didn't pick up at a machine shop for $ 300 or so , let's round it off & say $1K.... crate motor- $1500 & while it's advisable to go thru it & check things , it's basically done.. unless you're going hi-performance , that's $$$$$$ <<<<
dave

The 96 motor has VORTEC heads. They produce more power than the 86 to 95 motor. Possible reason the price is higher for this block. I am having my vortec heads redone right now for a larger cam and its not real cheap to do.

Might be worth looking into what you may need to get it titled, so that you can dot your i's and cross your t's while it's easy to do. Hate to see you grab an engine off craigslist or swap meet and go through an expensive rebuild only to find you need a notarized bill of sale from the seller with the vin # of the vehicle it came out of before the state issues the vin tag. One of the guys, maybe from the NTBA put a DOHC 4.6 out of a Mark 8 in his T. Custom blower manifold, Megasquirt EFI only to have the state seize the engine because he couldn't prove where it came from. I've made several trips to the Highway Patrol Inspection office this past month, just to ask those types of questions.

I agree with you Mr. T. That is why I am leaning towards a crate motor or a rebuildable one from a salvage yard. Either one will have the proper paper trail. Of course if I could get an old title..........

Well had a productive day. I cut the leaf spring pads off of the rear end housing and blended the leftover weld. Removed the brake lines and the emergency brake cables. Pulled the cover to check the internal parts and all look great. Even got some hunny-do's done. Lol

Yesterday I got the frame and body back to the house, put a milk crate in there and made the vroom vroom noises. Wife just shook her head lol. Thanks Meangreen for riding with me to pick it up. After I get some hunny-do's done I will be able to monkey around with this project.

Holy cow I think I just worked a trade to get a 454 for my T! Came from a dually and has 200,000 miles on it but I am trading a low end handgun for it. Hopefully a turbo 350 transmission will hold up to it.

I put quite a few miles on my hot rod before I got it running also. Helps keep the ambition up that way. I got tired of messing with the DMV trying to get a title for my roadster. Finally went to a judge with my bill of sale, and he issued a court order for the state to issue a title. Cost a bit more to do this, but had a title in 3 days, after waiting 6 months for the DMV to say no over and over.
Lee

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back