Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My jag rear radius rods

Here is what the movement is for the lower control arm at 4" of vertical travel which is a bunch. Less than 1/8" per side. The 17" is the center to center distance between the inner and outer pivot shafts on the lower arm ...if I remember right.

JagArc.jpg

The other thing to note is angle of the movement. 13.5 degrees is what would be required for the 4" or vertical wheel travel and a 5/8" Spherical Rod End Bearing allows 16 degrees of misalignment. No problem there.

Gab, et al,

You guys amaze me with all your fancy drawings and higher math. Being as dumb as I am, if I wanted to figure that problem out I'd probably use a string and tape measure. We'd come out close to the same result, I'm just a whole lot dumber than you about it... Have to save my mind for really important stuff you know, like why the dog is barking, or whether to use peanut butter and jam or ham and cheese on the bread, or which bandaid is best for stopping the blood on the most recent booboo I have done. I just wish I were as smart as you guys so I could compete!

Anyway, thanks, so now we know Keeper's wheel goes in and out .118" over the travel you've used. So does the outer end of the trailing arm, and so does the rear end of the radious rod since they both pivot around that same axis, so it's all good...

My parts collection includes a couple of Jag rears, but I've decided not to use either of them as I don't think they give me enough back to be worth the trouble, and given that my body is a '27 roadster, a Jag rear would be hidden from view anyway (and those brakes are a bitch to work on). If it were out in the open that would be a different story... Probably their biggest asset is that they reduce the unsprung weight a lot. Oh, and they look really cool. I may slip one under my model A pickup in the future, since that would be quite visible...

Corley

ahhh man...leave it to GAB to save me from tearing things apart and taking pictures through out the travel range. (I still might do it anyway)

But not until at least Sunday as tomorrow is a big show/swap meet I plan on attending. :D

Thanks for all the input. Glad I made this post, if for no other reason then having piece of mind.

ahhh man...leave it to GAB to save me from tearing things apart and taking pictures through out the travel range. (I still might do it anyway)

But not until at least Sunday as tomorrow is a big show/swap meet I plan on attending. :D

Thanks for all the input. Glad I made this post, if for no other reason then having piece of mind.

Corley, you are correct as I have misunderstood where Keeper's rear mount is located. Ted and I have slightly differing views on what is a traction aid. I think he is looking at anything that adds down force to the tire whereas I also add to that anything that helps control the location of the tire contact patch. I have definitely gained knowledge from this post and am going to put it to good use. I'm going to keep my S10 four link setup. The cost of the Jag rear is right, but the gains from using an early Jag setup are not worth the work involved. As Ted said a Jag IRS is for looks and ride and I think my IFS will take care of the ride part and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Al

Al,

Glad to hear we are actually on the same wave length... Don't worry about Ted, he's old and feable, heavy into the CRS thing (like me). HA! Seriously, Ted has a lot of great ideas and lot's of experience to back it up, but we all have our own ideas about what works. And that's great, because without that, they'd all look identicle, and I'd be bored as hell!

Ted,

Ted old buddy, can you believe anyone would talk about you like that? No respect I say, NO RESPECT! (I'm just glad you have a good sense of humor... I can be hard to take sometimes...)

Corley

Just a final addition to the above wiki thing.
This vid is just about all you need to know about how to rebuild the hub carriers.

Gerry

Gerry,

Here in the USA we usually pack tapered bearings before installing them in a glob of grease. At least I always do. I'm surprized to see this guy install them dry in a glob of grease. Also, it looks like he is using chassis lube, I'd think he'd want to use wheel bearing grease instead. No press, so bang bang bang bang first on one side then the other, rocking the bearing onto the shaft? hum... Jamming something into one side of the the yoke like that, talk about your back yard operation,,, Picky, Picky, Picky! Good to watch though...

Corley

PS Oh yeah, great video otherwise! Nice bird sounds...

yep that drifting of the bearing from side to side may look scary but it works. So long as you dont get heavy with it the bearing will drive down very well.
I am used to that kind of grease, its what we use over here. Old stuff but very good. Use it on almost every thing that needs grease. Modern stuff seems to run out when it gets a little warm.
Still it shows the basics of setting up end float and I bet he did nt get any problems with his rear end.

Gerry

VERY nicely done Gerry, as usual. LOL

Jim

I bet he did nt get any problems with his rear end.

Gerry

Gerry,

Yes, but according to Jim's signature, since he hit it with a hammer and still it wasn't all fixed, it MUST be an elecrical problem, so maybe he wasted all that time... HA! Good vid. showing the basics... I like a few dancing girls in my vids though...

Corley

PS Clarkson? No, no, they'd have Hammond test the Yella Fella, don't you think? He's more into speed and crashing and stuff... Sure wish I had that show's budget!

PS/2 I have a nice front picture of the Yella Fella posted in my shop, it will be nice when you get the back all painted back to yellow and I can post one of the back too! Sort of gives one something to shoot for... One question, are you sticking with the plain Jane diff cover? I think something that carrys the tanks star theme would be nice on the diff...

Hate to see you over do that star thing, what you have is plenty... Too many of the same design gets hokey looking, IMHO :) They do have some nice looking Jag rear covers, I would maybe want something that looks wild, without messin with the stock cover, as it has it's own purpose in life...

Gerry,

Yes, but according to Jim's signature, since he hit it with a hammer and still it wasn't all fixed, it MUST be an elecrical problem,

Aint that the truth. Sure a fuse will fix it???

Mr Hammond or the little S**t as my wife calls him, does seem to crash things, dont he.

Now you have brought up a point thats been fussin me for ages. The diff cover. Thought about a star then thought about a flowing thing, then thought about a square thing then thought about something different. Truth is cant make my mind up.

What say you?
Gerry

Hate to see you over do that star thing, what you have is plenty... Too many of the same design gets hokey looking, IMHO :) They do have some nice looking Jag rear covers, I would maybe want something that looks wild, without messin with the stock cover, as it has it's own purpose in life...

You know Ted
I think your right. But you must know me by now. It has to be something different. Anyone got any suggestions?
G

You know Ted
I think your right. But you must know me by now. It has to be something different. Anyone got any suggestions?
G

It's yellow which conjures up images of the sun to me. Why not a highly stylized sun sculpture for the cover, or the too-obvious choice of a smiley face. :rolleyes:

After all this is the Yella' Fella.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back