Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My ProjecTee

Here's another photo of an experiment. A piece of decorative aluminum sandwiched between 2 layers of fiberglass mat. Anybody hungry for a po'boy ??DSCN0924.JPG

I have the door mounted to it's hinges. I will use ausBucket's advice & use 1/8" spacers. I will place then between the door well & the door. I modified the original model t door hinges. The modified hinges are easier to use.DSCN0925.JPG

I have the rocker panel section of the door well , cut in 3 pieces. When i used 1/8" spacers between the door well & the door , i actually regained the correct contour of the door well. Thanks again for your advice AusBucket.. Earlier on i thought my door was warped & the door well was correct. When i clamped the door well to the door , the warped door began to fit the door well. The door well is curved along the bottom edge. Everything looks good now. Now i have to work out a gap problem which is about 1/4" wide @ the bottom hinge pin while the gap is 1/8" @ the top hinge pin.

I think the source of the problem is a technical issue. Once again , i want to thank AusBucket for his advice regarding 1/8" spacers.

Jeez DR give it a break, I won't be able to fit my head in front of the computer if you keep this up! :laugh:

Instead of small shims like that I used a full strip of 1/8" something bendable to go all the way around the door on both sides and the bottom. The shim must be wide enough to stick out the inside and outside of the jamb, and be covered with wax or masking tape or something that will not stick to resin. The just glass up to the shim on both sides of the jamb and door and you are guaranteed a 1/8" fit all the way around, inside and out.

Instead of small shims like that I used a full strip of 1/8" something bendable to go all the way around the door on both sides and the bottom. The shim must be wide enough to stick out the inside and outside of the jamb, and be covered with wax or masking tape or something that will not stick to resin. The just glass up to the shim on both sides of the jamb and door and you are guaranteed a 1/8" fit all the way around, inside and out.

Good idea.

I would also get the door opening securely mounted in the body first.

Then fit the door to it.

You don't want to have to make changes to the opening and door later to get them to fit the body.

Good idea.

I would also get the door opening securely mounted in the body first.

Then fit the door to it.

You don't want to have to make changes to the opening and door later to get them to fit the body.
Right on, funny things happen when it cures, even when well reinforced sometimes... or is it just my luck? Glassing is definitely a skilled trade. Lots of nuances to learn along the way.

The door well is an exact copy of the passenger side door well on my project. The body & door kit came from r.p.m.

My model a locking door handles ( with door handle gaskets ) & striker plates , arrived from Speedway Motors yesterday.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back