Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My seating dilemma...a hijack prevention spinoff

I do not know about the seats from that specific supplier, but I did look into several suppliers. Except for the very nice but pricey Corbeau Baja seats, all the others had a common problem...virtually no thigh support. The lower part of the seat...the part you sit on...were all around 12-15" front to back. For comparison, I measured the seats in our Buick, Jeep, and Cougar...all were around 21". I do not think they were intended for adult use for long periods.
I been eyeballin my jeep xj rear seat

I been eyeballin my jeep xj rear seat
I know the CJ rear seats are around 34" wide.I do not remember the specific widths of the various CJ offsprings, but they will vary up to around 40-42".

The problem with them and most production vehicle seats is that they will require modifications if you have much of a drive shaft tunnel. Without modification, with the thickness of the seat frames and cushion, on top of much of a tunnel, you end up more on the car than in it.

Speedway has a fiberglass rear seat, looks like it would work good it a T. Anyone use one or know anything about them.

Speedway has a fiberglass rear seat, looks like it would work good it a T. Anyone use one or know anything about them.
I've not tried one, but with the seat bottom only being 11" front to back, and the tendency for these cars to have a rough ride, anything but a short ride would likely result in tail bone trauma

That's true, don't need any more back issues then I already have. And you would have to glass in some support on the bottom or the bolts would tear through after a wile.

Another great one: amazon.com/Gianni-Modern-Ribbed-Chrome-Coffee/dp/B00AAGJU7S

And this one is not quite as wide as the others. Might fit!

What color will the car be?

I would love to take that route, but I've not been able to find those seats in low back (or even the high backs). Also, with my high drive shaft tunnel and loop they would leave me sitting too high.
Exactly high tall is your drive shaft tunnel? My tunnel measures 4" tall and I only have a very small hump toward the rear of my seat which gives me the approximate butt room of a factory bucket seat. Check the attached photo.

Jim

My advice is to use an automotive seat with springs in it, the ride will be so much better. Another thing, take your handy dandy angle finder out and put it on the seats and seat backs of your daily driver and look at those angles. They paid engineers a lot of money to figure out those angle.

My advice is to use an automotive seat with springs in it, the ride will be so much better. Another thing, take your handy dandy angle finder out and put it on the seats and seat backs of your daily driver and look at those angles. They paid engineers a lot of money to figure out those angle.

I agree 100%, Ron. That is the exact advice that I gave in my post on how to build a seat. The factory KNOWS a thing or two about ergonomics and how angles help. As for springs, they tend to make you sit higher in the car than I like to be. I only have foam in my seat construction and, as you know, Nan and I have very little "natural" padding in our rears and the ride in our car is very comfortable even for extended rides.

Jim

Don't know if this will help any , just took a couple quick measurments .. the floor ,at the center of the door is 16" off the ground ...the oilpan/bellhousing is 5" off the ground ...I have a flat floor [no tunnel] fom the front of the seat to the rear ...
dave

I have a Minnie van seat I shorten it 5 inches and took 2 inches out of the bottom .The springs do make it nice. It just seams like I need to be sitting back further in the car. I just have to get used to the small space. Good thing I am only 5foot 6.

Amazon has a bunch of them: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074NWGMG...olid=8UIS83UF3O38&coliid=I1EYX2ZA3TQB1P&psc=1
This one is low back and has a different upholstery.
That darn drive shaft is a pickle. How high and wide will the tunnel be? And how wide is the body?

Another great one: amazon.com/Gianni-Modern-Ribbed-Chrome-Coffee/dp/B00AAGJU7S

And this one is not quite as wide as the others. Might fit!

What color will the car be?

I like the 2nd seat....except for the price. The other two do not have near enough padding.

The safety loop extends roughly 7" above the level of the frame rails, and is 8" wide. The height and width of the tunnel depends on if it is run inside or outside the loop.

The body width at the narrowest point, if the reinforcing wooding does not extend beyond the door lip, is approximately 39".

The body is going to be a light green....something along the lines of seafoam or mint green.

As things stand now I'll likely be using plywood base and back with the set hinges I have to make a bench...then building up padding and upholstery. The low point of the top side of the plywood base would be about 3" above the frame rail. The leading edge of the loop will be about 4" forward of the low point of the plywood base....necessitating the plywood be notched around the loop. Tomorrow I'll try to pull an illustration.

Exactly high tall is your drive shaft tunnel? My tunnel measures 4" tall and I only have a very small hump toward the rear of my seat which gives me the approximate butt room of a factory bucket seat. Check the attached photo.

Jim

The height of the tunnel will depend on if I run it inside or outside the safety loop. The loop will be about 3-4"
above the baseboard of a bench seat, and about 4" forward of the rear of the baseboard.
'

I tried that a while back, and with all 3 vehicles having power adjustable seats, they all are adjusted relative to steering wheel position, and the angles are widely varied.

Then there is the issue of the lowness of the seat relative to the floor. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that to get thigh support, the seat needs to be more steeply angled <shrug>

I agree 100%, Ron. That is the exact advice that I gave in my post on how to build a seat. The factory KNOWS a thing or two about ergonomics and how angles help. As for springs, they tend to make you sit higher in the car than I like to be. I only have foam in my seat construction and, as you know, Nan and I have very little "natural" padding in our rears and the ride in our car is very comfortable even for extended rides.

Jim
As my plans stand now, I'll be using plywood with cutouts and webbing, and foam on top. I may also try removeable gel cushions instead of foam.

I have a Minnie van seat I shorten it 5 inches and took 2 inches out of the bottom .The springs do make it nice. It just seams like I need to be sitting back further in the car. I just have to get used to the small space. Good thing I am only 5foot 6.

I was really into the idea of a minivan seat until I saw how high I'd be setting to clear the driveshaft.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back