Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need help ID'ing light/mirror assembly

Mark23T

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hoping to get some help identifying the carriage light & mirror on my T=Bucket (pic below). I'm having problems trying to tighten the mirrors that want to fold in above 40mph. Ultimately I'm looking to track down a parts breakdown to see how it's held together.

Assuming there was a nut under the mirror stem, I took the fixture apart, however can not get in to the top "chamber" where said nut is located. There was nothing that I could get at to tighten, so there's got to be a way to further dis-assemble the light that I'm not finding. It doesn't seem that the top housing (chamber) is threaded to the main body as hand loosening didn't budge it.

I've looked at a number of parts sites with no luck figuring out who the manufacturer is. Any direction would be appreciated!

rodlight.jpeg

That is the fixture and that is the mirror for sure. I was all over Speedway's site and saw neither of those.

Hoping it isn't "custom fabbed" as whoever did it made no provision to tighten the dang mirrors!

Thanks for taking the time Spanky!

Looks like a door edge mount just converted to mount on top of the light to me. What is loose the mirror or the stem at the base?

Looks like a door edge mount just converted to mount on top of the light to me. What is loose the mirror or the stem at the base?
It's the stem at the base. As mentioned above, I opened the housing up hoping to get at the nut or bolt that held it in place, but there's no access to it once the lens and bulb are out of the way.

If you separate the stem from the light is that the movement? Can you put a small piece of sandpaper as a gasket?
The problem is I can't get to the fastener to remove (or tighten) it. The nut or bolt holding the stem is up in the top of that housing and that "chamber" isn't accessible from the main part of the housing that can be accessed by removing the lens.

Call Speedway . . .
That's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the direction. like I said, I searched their site and found neither of those parts.

My issue is in the "chimney" (#6). The mirror is in the upper globe of that, which is sealed off from the rest.

Would I be automatically banned if I tried a couple drops of crazy glue? lol

light_assy2.jpg

That chimney almost has to come apart. They surely didn't build it in one piece. I think there will be two screws holding that mirror to the top of chimney. When the long all-thread is removed and the chimney is off, there may be a nut holding the top together. Maybe not, but what you got to loose by taking it apart for a look?

I have 4 of these collecting dust, so I went and looked at them. I noticed one of them has a split in the top of the chimney, so I got a small flat bar and pried it opened. The threaded rod has a flat head that's soldered/spot welded on. It looks like the factory put the two halfs together soldered up the seam and chromed them. How does your threaded rod look like? Maybe the prior owner was able to drill out the rod and install his own to catch the threads in the mirror?

I would have mounted a nice blind spot mirror to the back of the body.

Last edited:
I have 4 of these collecting dust, so I went and looked at them. I noticed one of them has a split in the top of the chimney, so I got a small flat bar and pried it opened. The threaded rod has a flat head that's soldered/spot welded on. It looks like the factory put the two halfs together soldered up the seam and chromed them. How does your threaded rod look like? Maybe the prior owner was able to drill out the rod and install his own to catch the threads in the mirror?

I would have mounted a nice blind spot mirror to the back of the body.

First, thank you for taking the time!

The threaded rod is a 2" long 1/4X20 coming down from the chimney that doesn't seem to be threaded TO the chimney. It's definitely not attached to the mirror, as the mirror turns 360° without the threads moving, or the mirror stem tightening (unless it's completely stripped). I put a couple of jamb nuts on it and tried to unscrew it, but it wasn't moving so I quit before I broke something. It could well be a machine screw soldered in. There IS a joint in the upper most portion of the chimney, but it's closed with a rolled crimp. I'm beginning to wonder if this might just be a feat of bad engineering (IE: Chinese disposable unit).

Thanks again for checking that!

That's what I opened up, The top portion had the split in it I opened up the split and pried it off the rolled edge. No going back neatly

I'm happy to report it's finally fixed... This is a "home brew" for sure. Someone had drilled a 3/16 hole in the top of the chimney, and a 5/16" hole in the bottom, next to the 3" long mounting stud. They basically worked a 10X24 FHP machine screw up through the chimney, then accessed it with a phillips screwdriver through the 5/16" hole in the bottom to tighten it up.

I had one of those "I'm either gonna fix it or ruin it" moments tonight and luckily was able to get it apart, loaded it up with locktite, cinched 'er down and it's good to go.

Thanks to everyone for the input, and especially thanks to HenrysT for the sacrificial tear down!

I'm happy to report it's finally fixed... This is a "home brew" for sure. Someone had drilled a 3/16 hole in the top of the chimney, and a 5/16" hole in the bottom, next to the 3" long mounting stud. They basically worked a 10X24 FHP machine screw up through the chimney, then accessed it with a phillips screwdriver through the 5/16" hole in the bottom to tighten it up.

I had one of those "I'm either gonna fix it or ruin it" moments tonight and luckily was able to get it apart, loaded it up with locktite, cinched 'er down and it's good to go.

Thanks to everyone for the input, and especially thanks to HenrysT for the sacrificial tear down!

My thoughts exactly If Ican't fix it--Then no one will as I beat it with a big ass hammer .

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back