Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New Build

Jimbo I understand you made the frame wider and I am wondering if in your experience did it change anything else in the build or if it presented any problems later. I just got back with the body from Paynesville, MN which is where you got yours from. So far I am happy with it. They really helped me out and even brought the body to the hotel at 9:30pm to ensure I got it. Can't ask for much more than that.

No problems after the width changes. If I went with the original spec width trouble would have followed. Now that you have your body, measure the cowl where you would like the frame to go through. That's how I came to use the width that I did.

X2 what type of wood did you use?
I used pine. Everyone has their own preferences. I tried to use liquid nail to adhere it to the fiber glass but it dried to slow. I switched to Bondo and the cure time was much faster. Then I glassed all the wood to the fiberglass.

Hi Jimbo, I am using the Youngster plans as well and noticed the front spring perch measurements do not add up as stated in the plans. I resized to get proper measurements one way but the other length is wrong. Would you happen to have the measurements from how you actually built the spring perch. Thanks

Hi Jimbo, I am using the Youngster plans as well and noticed the front spring perch measurements do not add up as stated in the plans. I resized to get proper measurements one way but the other length is wrong. Would you happen to have the measurements from how you actually built the spring perch. Thanks
Bob,
I went out and measured my perch to see the differences between what I had and Ron's suggested plans. My perch is 4 3/4 wide and 8" deep. My bolt holes are also located on the inside of the perch so they can be hidden as well. If you do plan to build your own perch and gusset, I wouldn't go with the solid hole for the cross member as this will more then likely create hassles when installing. I bought my perch from RPM and there listed through his store which is located at the top of the page. The two listed are only 22 bucks + shipping. By the time you buy the steel and take the time to build it you'll have double that into it easy. Rpm makes quality parts and can also build them to your specs if you prefer.
I've been working overtime since march of this year and haven't had much time to play with my build. I've been buying parts and making plans as to the next step or steps. I still need to get back to the brake pedal and get that figured out. I hope this helps.
Jim

Good advice on using the Corvette panel adhesive.

Jim

Gorrila Glue works good too. Takes a little while to dry though, but it expands as it dries to fill gaps. Might be a little easier to find too!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back