Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New East Texan in the Mix

Kevinrevin

Howdy, y'all.

I'm new to this T deal, but not to hotrodding or dirt-track racing. I had a '71 Javelin in High School back in the early 80's, and several racecars since.
I picked up some old tin (the back part of a touring car?, a cowl, and some mismatched fenders) about 20 years ago. Now that the kid's college bills are almost done, I figure it's time to put something together.

A '05 Hemi Magnum is my current toy, but I'm wanting to build my own toy.

Welcome from South Florida from an original Longview/Tyler, Texas boy. Enjoy the reading, good stuff.

Welcome from St Louis, Kevin. Do you have a sort of vision of what you want in a T-bucket? As you can see, they vary all over the place in style, from old-school modified, to downright race cars.

Welcome from the warm sunny Caribbean, came here about 20 years ago from Houston . . . lotta Texas I miss, . . . . and also a lot I don't ;)

Welcome from St Louis, Kevin. Do you have a sort of vision of what you want in a T-bucket? As you can see, they vary all over the place in style, from old-school modified, to downright race cars.
No true vision yet. About the only thing so far, is to try to avoid the SBC that's sitting in the shop. I want something different.

You mean something like this . . . ? A 4.0 BMW in one of our member's builds (Mykk) . . .

2018-04-24-12-13-39.jpg

PS - I happen to be a fan of the SBC; it's cheap and available, much like the flathead V-8's in the early days of hot rods.

Ditto Spanky. I bet I could pick up a good running SBC for less than the cost of that Beamer timing chain! And there's more than one chain on that thing.Maybe three. But, to each his own!
Nothing wrong with being different.

Different, like a Nash/AMC 195.6 cid L6 with 3 speed.
Banjo rear from 51 Ford 3/4 ton pickup.

Just a few of the things laying around that I can use.

Then again . . There's the Toyota mini-Hemi . . .

Which strangely enough, for as rare as they are in the states, is what my friend Warren has in the T he's been poking at here on the Island for 20 years.

Toyota Hemi T.jpg

This not Warren's T, it's just a well known net pic of the Toyota hemi. No doubt some of you guys probably know the car and owner.

I don’t know Toyota had a Hemi. What did they come in? Trucks?

According to HOTROD.COM magazine, January 2001, that engine was in Toyota Century limousines produced for Japan only from the mid '60's into the '80's. The guy who built the track T is a Toyota mechanic in Tulsa, who received a couple of those engines along with some other mechanical stuff from a crate shipped over here from Japan for who knows what. It is reportedly the same dimensions as the early Dodge Red Ram (241 ci) from the '50's. Modest HP/TQ numbers are quoted for the Toy engine: 190hp at 4,800 RPM, and 239 ft lbs at 3,600 RPM.

According to HOTROD.COM magazine, January 2001, that engine was in Toyota Century limousines produced for Japan only from the mid '60's into the '80's. The guy who built the track T is a Toyota mechanic in Tulsa, who received a couple of those engines along with some other mechanical stuff from a crate shipped over here from Japan for who knows what. It is reportedly the same dimensions as the early Dodge Red Ram (241 ci) from the '50's. Modest HP/TQ numbers are quoted for the Toy engine: 190hp at 4,800 RPM, and 239 ft lbs at 3,600 RPM.

Depending on what year, looks like it came in 4 versions of increasing displacement, with the largest 4.0, running up to the late 90's: Toyota V engine - Wikipedia

With an all aluminum block and heads, it probably handles nicely in a light T.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back