Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

new guy donor vehicle questions

tjhorse

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the welcome in the intro section!

I've got an '84 chevy van that's mouldering away in the yard. I'm planning to snag the SBC and the turbo 350 out of it in the hopes of using them in a 27 T project. At this point that's all I've got except big plans...

I was hoping to use the rear end out of the van but (after reading old threads here) it appears to be too wide. I haven't measured cause the tires are flat but it's 60" + from plate to plate. So, is that too wide?

The big question is... is there anything else I should snag off the van before I scrap it? Things I'll regret junking once the project is moving forward?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

Pick that baby clean ! Make real sure you get the drive shaft ! I dunno what series Van it is, but if it's 5 lug wheels, the disc brakes and other related parts may be usefull, or good trading stock. A couple simple brackets and you could mount the discs and calipers on the rear end. 60" is a little wide, but again, you can get a lot of back spacing in wide wheels if you plan to use "lawn Rollers", if not, then you may want to trade it for a S-10 axle or something else.
Don't over look the electrical system, the fuse panel and other related parts may come in handy. Steering Column may be usefull, some of the vans have universal joints on the steering shaft, some like to use them, some don't, your choice. How bout the benchseat? Too wide for a bucket???
It all depends on how much work you want to do, and what fits your plan. Figger out what you want the car to look like and if the parts fit, take em !
E-brake handle, light switch,ignition switches/wire harness....Just look it over and think about what ya need. "BH"

What does the roof look like??

I need a filler panel for my C-cab:hmmm:

Vance

When I strip a donor, I'm always thinking"I won't have to buy one of these." or "Someone will be able to use this." Also put out adds for your unwanted parts. It always amazes me what people will buy.

Trade or buy an S-10 rear end. You will save time and $$$.

Ron

Aha! It all comes clear now... I've been so focused on the basics (frame, body etc) that I wasn't looking at the big picture. I imagine there are all sorts of treasures buried in this van. It's a 2500 series conversion van with drums on the rear, nice interior, captains chairs, closet, bed, tv, lots of slick mood lighting and bad eighties electronics. But, it's not worth diddly as a whole van. Body's been around the block too many times.

My wife will be dismayed when I tell her I'm not hauling it off until the T is finished... Maybe this news will motivate her to allow me to expedite the project!!

The roof's in good shape but now I think it's going to need it for a while.

Thanks for the replies,
Todd

Yep the van body will make a good shed to store parts out of the way, and it's lockable!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back