Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New guy from tx

4sfedz

Hello all I have a 21 or 23 model t that was my grandfathers. I’m wanting to make it drivable and hoping this formu can help!

Welcome from St Louis! A lot of expertise on this board. Tell us more about your T project . . . what's the power train like? How much do you have on hand, and what will you need to acquire to get it on the road?
1923-ford RPU.jpg

Last edited:
My grand dad restored it all original and drove it in parades and what not. Wood spokes, front hand crank and all. So I’m wanting to make a little bucket out of it to cruise around. Obviously I’ll need wheels, motor and a tranny. What what about the original frame and suspension?

Personally, I would just build a T bucket. After you undo everything, you will have a lot of scrap iron and little to work with. The car is probably far more valuable in its present state. Even if it needs restoring a second time, other than the body shell, a T model does not offer much in parts. If you feel competent to build from a T model, you are competent to build from raw material.
Not trying to discourage your desires, but just speaking honestly. If I was close by, I could donate or sell real cheap, some basic parts.

My grand dad restored it all original and drove it in parades and what not. Wood spokes, front hand crank and all. So I’m wanting to make a little bucket out of it to cruise around. Obviously I’ll need wheels, motor and a tranny. What what about the original frame and suspension?

I agree with railroad as far as practicality. The stock frame would need to be 'boxed' for strength, and Z'd to get the correct ride height for a 'bucket. Plus you'd need new mounting points for all the 'bucket suspension pieces. That's a lot of work, when a scratch-built rectangular tube frame will provide all you need and more. The one thing your 'stock' T offers is a clear title, and the ability to use some of the original parts in your build. It would be somewhat of a hassle, but you could probably fund your build by selling off the original T parts; model T enthusiasts will pay good money for original parts to repair damaged ones on their cars. Just a thought . . . o_O:rolleyes:
3 frame.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool project. Get your initial 10 posts (I think) so you can post some pics. Once we can see what you have to work with, we can give a better assessment and advice. If you have a complete or semi complete original car, it would be hard for me to cut on it... but let's see what you have! Is it running and moveable on its own power? I'm anxious to see some pics.

Welcome from Wisconsin. I would leave your grandpa's car as is. Build from scratch. Buy or fabricate parts as needed. You'll be glad you did.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back