Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New guy with IFS question

RD1071

Hello all. I'm new here, well as a member anyway. Been cruising the forums for some time acquiring knowledge and information, what an amazing resource! I've been planning a new "T" project for a while and have been thinking of using an ifs. I found this photo and thought I would ask for everyones expert advice. Any thoughts, comments, input? Gonna get started in a couple of months and want to plan one way or the other. Thanks in advance.

Rick

Attachments

• IFS1.jpg
    IFS1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 128
Well, IFS. If I was going to build a new bucket I would be very tempted do go IFS. I have seen some that really look good and I seen one that was butt ugly - so it has to be done carefully. Some folks say it is UN-traditional - true, but that is a good thing some times. Good Luck.

Like Duke said, as long as they aren't butt-ugly...

There are many options when it comes to front ends. I think a street rod tbucket (no fenders) looks better with a dropped front axle. I have seen some ts with fenders and the ifs set back a little that looked great. An ifs will handle better, but it's a personal decision. That ifs in the pic is a push rod type and is expensive and takes a lot engineering

This is a shot of my IFS. This is an adapted kit from Heidt's that was modified by the shop that built my frame. I don't have an image of it with the chromed/polished rack and pinion installed, but it would be right up front on the visible brackets, hanging out in the breeze for all the world to see.

My cuppa, but that's me always bucking the flow...

P1000563.JPG

I'm just waiting for someone to install a twin I-beam suspension on one of these cars....:cautious:....like off a ford Pickup....

This is a shot of my IFS. This is an adapted kit from Heidt's that was modified by the shop that built my frame. I don't have an image of it with the chromed/polished rack and pinion installed, but it would be right up front on the visible brackets, hanging out in the breeze for all the world to see.

My cuppa, but that's me always bucking the flow...

P1000563.JPG
Not Bad, Not bad at all!

IIRC there's a guy named Dewey (cboy) over at hotrodders dot com who did that with a scratch-built roadster. I'm sure it could be adapted to a t-bucket. Just not sure it should be. . .

ETA: correction--it's not a roadster--more like a distorted sedan.

IIRC there's a guy named Dewey (cboy) over at hotrodders dot com who did that with a scratch-built roadster. I'm sure it could be adapted to a t-bucket. Just not sure it should be. . .

ETA: correction--it's not a roadster--more like a distorted sedan.
That would be just plain Wrong, Hahahaha....but thats just me...

Here is a picture of the set up on Kenwood's track nosed '27 T. It is all hidden behind the track nose, very neat, clean and trick. An IFS that is completely exposed on a T is not the best looking. IMHO.

IMG00212.jpg

Jim

How about a split tube axle:
IFS%25201.jpg

I plan to do this to my bucket, but with the existing leaf spring. Fat Man used to sell a kit for this.

How about a split tube axle:
IFS%25201.jpg

I plan to do this to my bucket, but with the existing leaf spring. Fat Man used to sell a kit for this.
Hey, now thats cooler than shit!

Great feedback everyone and thank you! After careful consideration I think I'll keep it simple and stay with the time tested and period correct dropped axle. I'm sure I will be back with more questions as the project progresses.

I talked with fat man last year at the shades and asked about that axle set up and he had discontinued it due to lack of interest. I just wonder about the safety. If that one hemi failed you would be in some deep poop.

I talked with Fat Man last year too, at Back To The 50's and they had their truck there with the split axle setup. They had driven it 1200 miles to the show, and the guy told me they drive it to shows all over. And he also said it had been dropped due to low sales. I've seen several T's with it and the owners were happy with it. Here's the Fat Man truck:
x%2520fat%2520man%2520axle.JPG

Here is a shot of Kenwood's car with the nose installed.

IMG00219.jpg

Jim

I dont think we should rule them out, simply because of our traditional "standard" of a dropped tube/dropped I beam setup.

Remember 60 years ago, most Tees were a form of a dirt track/dry lakes style and along came the Kookie car. And that changed everything. A decade or more later, then Danny Eichstadt (apologies if I spelled his name wrong) rocked up with the Leg Show Tee - in my view the finest T bucket ever built - and that changed everything again, and for another decade or so the Fad Tee was king.

Maybe we just need somebody to build something to move us all along to a new "finest T bucket ever built" - Whats Ted up to these days?

They especially look nice with the track T nose. I don't like the first pic in red but I do like Don'tcallme Jimmies photo. I think when you put the shocks in front of the rad it looks like total crap. Just my opinions however.

the orange roadster with the split axle. are the front shocks mounted in a bind. shouldnt they be mounted ninety degrees?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back