Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New member from Washington

Daniel R Brown

I do not have a T Bucket at this time, planning on building one, my plan is to build the frame and the body myself, planning on putting a small block Chevy in it. Looking for help deciding the front end and rear ended to put in it, what size tires and wheels are usual used?

Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma !

what size tires and wheels are usual used?
The answer is YES !

Everyone will have a different opinion. With more info maybe we could offer a better suggestion.

Looking for help deciding the front end and rear ended to put in it, what size tires and wheels are usual used?

Welcome from St Louis, Daniel. In my case a wrecked Camaro provided drive train components like the 10-bolt Chevy rear axle. The front axle can be home built or supplied by one of our sponsors at the top of the main page, and most T-buckets have the spring-behind-the-axle "suicide" front end. Wheels and tires are a personal choice; I went with a '60's vibe - big rears and smaller fronts, 15" and 14" wheels respectively. But T-buckets from this site vary all over the place from vintage steelies to wires to Halibrand kidney beans. Your preference. :)

H.jpg

Howdy from East Texas.
I'm also in the planning/replanning stages of my bucket. And with the current situation, I have plenty of time for it.

I’m thinking a motor with 400 plus horse power, maybe a 383 strokes or maybe a newer motor with fuel injection, need to do some more checking on this. I would guess disc brakes front and back, power steering. Building the frame and the body myself.

I would guess disc brakes front and back, power steering.
Disc brakes are much nicer looking, but are not required if you need to save a few bucks. These
cars are so light that most anything will stop them. Kinda the same story with power steering,
not typically required unless you are thinking about your significant other driving. Even then
my wife has not complained about being hard to turn. But there are lots of factors that figure into
this equation.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide, everyone has a different take about such details !

Dream it--build it !! All it takes is money and time/labor--depending on your talents. Anything is possible !!

I prefer Traditional looks--East Coast/West Coast styles sometimes psychedelic looking ones. A 4 banger will give just as much fun as a blown big block/hemi--it's all about the smiles per mile--not how fast you can go.

I’m thinking a motor with 400 plus horse power, maybe a 383 stroker.

A friend once said that a 383 was the perfect power plant for a T-bucket - plenty of torque in a light weight car that can smoke the Mickey's at any time! I'm happy with my relatively stock 350 which produces around 300 hp I'm guessing. I can still smoke 'em at will. You'll be more than happy with a 383, trust me. And 'ditto' what Rick said about disc brakes in these light cars. I have 9-1/4" Mustang II discs in front, drums in rear and have no problems stopping.

When you drive your daily driver with a couple of friends can you feel a difference in power? Now think about driving a car that weighs 2000 pounds less! These cars will make you feel like you are shot from a cannon. Don’t worry about big horsepower! Of course this advice is coming from a guy building a bucket with a blown 454! Like another member sez “ to much is just enough”! Lol

Welcome from St Louis, Daniel. In my case a wrecked Camaro provided drive train components like the 10-bolt Chevy rear axle. The front axle can be home built or supplied by one of our sponsors at the top of the main page, and most T-buckets have the spring-behind-the-axle "suicide" front end. Wheels and tires are a personal choice; I went with a '60's vibe - big rears and smaller fronts, 15" and 14" wheels respectively. But T-buckets from this site vary all over the place from vintage steelies to wires to Halibrand kidney beans. Your preference. :)

View attachment 18482
Are there plans available for build the front axle? Thanks

Welcome from South Florida! I put disc brakes on all four corners for a clean look and a 383 stroker in my ongoing build. The mildly built motor should be making only 360hp . Plenty. Have fun.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back