Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New member, here is my winter project.

engineboy

This may be a little long winded.

I found this bucket that had been parked back in the late 90s due to the owners health issues. It was parked, covered and untouched until the husband passed last year. The lady that owned it was a sweetheart and we talked at length before I made the 5 hour trip to go see the car.

Once I saw it in person I knew I had to save it.

It hadnt seen the light of day in almost 2 decades, the chrome and aluminum has suffered but the rest of the car is in great shape, all powder coated underneath, very nice specimen.

This is what we found when we got there.....a couple bug eyes staring at us from the tomb.

main.php

This is the first time it has seen been out if that garage in 19 years.

main.php

I brought it home and started to bring it back to life. First was to rebuild the carb and drain/clean the fuel system, change the oil and see if it would light. Cranked it by hand, primed it and hit the key. Fired right up, sounds great, good vitals.

There was a lot of corrosion around the T stat housing that had been growing for many many years so I pulled the blower and housing to find this nice pile of voodoo.

main.php

Fear not, the corrosion was limited to right there, under the T stat and in the radiator were all good so I just cleaned up what was there and installed a new housing, stat and upper hose. Much better.

main.php

main.php

Brake cylinders, master were all corroded and frozen, the front calipers were leaking so a quick online shopping spree later and speedway set me up with caliper kits and pads. I rebuilt the calipers and installed new master and wheel cylinders and we were good in the brake dept.

I took it for its first drive, it shifts good, runs and stops good. Has a ton of blow by so Im guessing I have some stuck rings but thats no biggie....I plan on taking it out this winter and freshening it up, new cam/bearings/rings/etc and bringing the rest back up to snuff.

Should be a fun project, and Im glad I could save one. I plan on keeping it pretty much fresh 80s styling that it is, few things to make it my own but for the most part I like what I have it just needs some luvin' Lots of cleaning, plating and polishing this winter, thats for sure.

What a lucky find!

It looks like the engine may date back a little more than 80's, is it a 350 or classic 327 . . . . trans?, rear?

Engine is a 66/67 327 from a C series truck. Its current internals are unknown, but will be doing surgery this winter. The car has a th350 with a 55/6/7 chevy rear.

Car was built in 84. Has the BAR tag still on the frame and an issued CA vin, but is titled as a 23.

The story on the car I was told by one of the friends is the car was originally built for a car rental place in south san fran area and there was 2 built at that time for this guy. They delivered and he couldnt afford the insurance on renting them out so he sold them off. This is one, I dont know if that story is true or not put thats what I was told.

Great find.

WOW !! That's not far from Stockton.

Nope, drove right through on my trip. Car was actually in Daly City. Just several lucky things that led me to get it. She turned down my first offer, and I sat on it for a week. Someone else stepped up and was going to buy it but never came up with the money. I stewed on it and really didnt want it to get away so I called her back and asked about the other guy, but she hadnt seen any money so it was still technically available.

I sent her $500 bucks "good faith" money that night via paypal and she held it for a week for me. I loaded up the truck, grabbed a trailer and called my bay area friends for some muscle.

main.php

So I took a trip up to norcal this weekend to get a set of front wheels and tires. I will eventually get some rears but the deal was too good to pass for the fronts and it gave me a chance to see some friends race and take a road trip.

I was looking for more of a "tough" look to my T, took off the high profile tires and cragars and went with a skinnier and smaller tire on some solid centerlines.

Before:

main.php

After:

main.php

OK, well since we cant seem to edit posts (odd) and I missed a url tag, lets try the before picture again. School me on why we cant edit posts.....

main.php

OK, well since we cant seem to edit posts (odd) and I missed a url tag, lets try the before picture again. School me on why we cant edit posts.....

You can edit messages for up to ten minutes after initially posting them.(There'll be a little "edit" tag in the lower left portion of your message.) That's a narrow window, but . . . has to do with the server we use and costs to allow unlimited editing.:cool:

I had read that somewhere but I didnt see it right after I posted, I looked for it, maybe I missed it. Thanks, I try to make sure all I want is correct before posting but sometimes my fat fingers get the best of me.

?????o_O Not on mine . . . it has a little stubby pencil icon with the word Edit next to it.

I have neither one of those, just tested it and there is nothing but my name, the time I posted and report options. No edit, tools or pencil anywhere. I guess I dont get to edit no matter how fast I am.

I've been able to edit. It has to be very soon after you post reply. These last 5 words were edited.

Can I edit? Let's see. Yes, I can. In the bottom left corner of my post there is a little pencil and the word"edit".

Last edited:
I've been watching the above post regarding editing and it's been 25 minutes since I posted it and 20 minutes since I edited it. The option is still there.
Now I'm tired of watching!

My posts still show the edit feature but if I click on it, a message pops ups and says the time limit of 20 minutes has passed. So it seems 20 minutes is the time limit.
Bill

Took it for its first real drive today, got about 15 miles at highway speed under its belt but Im still on 30 year old cracked up rear tires.....so I didnt want to venture beyond walking distance back to the house ;)

All systems work as they should, temp was a little high (200ish) but dropped as soon as I got rolling. Its was rough, windy, uncomfortable, noisy and a handful at times.......I think Im in love :laugh:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back