Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New member of the "death wobble" club

To be clear, I had no intention of going that fast in one of these things but when I pushed the pedal down it got there so quick it caught me by surprise.

Yep! Speed comes quick in these little cars! Lol
You're telling me! It feels great too. I'm thinking of selling it before I do something stupid and get hurt or hurt someone else. I have the same problem with my Harley, I can't resist cranking the throttle. The funny thing is, my T will blow my Harley Low Rider off the road when it comes to acceleration.

Last edited:
Gary - Now you understand the passion we bucketheads have for these little cars. It's all about power-to-weight ratio, baby! ;):D:thumbsup:

You can adjust the throttle linkage to limit speed til you get use to it and the new wears off. Don’t sell it. You will regret it. I have regretted selling mine for 35 years! When you get old it is real hard to do!

This is a really old thread,resurrected. Many of us have had some type of a problem with steering; wobble, wandering, etc. Early on I had the death wobble on the right front tire. Adjusting/ reducing the tire pressure seemed to help. That was after I spent a lot of time and money rebuilding the axle with new king pins, bushings and bearings. Along with playing with caster and toe in/ toe out.
I've had the death wobble, wandering, steering not returning to center, etc. for ever. The only thing I have not adjusted has been the camber. Much harder because you have to bend the axle. I have a panhard bar and a steering damper that doesen't seem to help much.. I've adjusted the steering box to tighten it up and loosen it. The car still wanders more than I would like.
Some day someone much smarter than me will figure out these straight axle cars.
Bill

Th13457603_1049698858440724_469215139_n.png.jpg
This is what stopped the wandering on my car.....This photo is not my car but my set up is the same.....

I, too, have the same setup, Spanky. I've no wobble and the car goes straight with no hands on the wheel even at speed. I might also add that I do not have any steering stabilizer also.

Jim
I have no problem with wobble, it just feels a little light but I have no business going that fast either. LOL:eek:

Yep. R n P solves a lot of problems.

Rack-showing-cover (2) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).jpg

Gary - Much more of that and your wallet is what's going to feel light!:laugh::roflmao::p
LOL! I know, I was sweating yesterday when a sheriff's cruiser appeared alongside the road when I was going about 30 over. Thank goodness he must have been doing paper work.

You're telling me! It feels great too. I'm thinking of selling it before I do something stupid and get hurt or hurt someone else. I have the same problem with my Harley, I can't resist cranking the throttle. The funny thing is, my T will blow my Harley Low Rider off the road when it comes to acceleration.
I tried to reply but auto correct refuses to allow me to post, so I eliminated it. Sorry

Last edited:
side steer, On my first T I had to bend the rod for tire clearance. I noticed that when setting still the side tie rod wanted to rotate when turning the steering wheel left to right. the center lines of the linkage were not parallelor square to each other.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back