Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New, not yet committed (but ready to be committed!)

DiggerBlue

I am sort of half retired. I have employment, but a good bit of time. I took my 97 Mercury Grand Marquis (sister to the Crown Vic) to a shop and they said it would be something like $1500 or more to repair the frame on the Merc. It occurred to me that I could build a frame, and use the running gear from the motor to the rear wheels for a T-Bucket. Have I lost my mind? I have never welded, but I have many fabrication skills, and space to work. From my career, I have experience with a broad spectrum of things including Roots Blowers (though that would be way, way, way down on my list of priorities). I'd like information on frame design for a T-Bucket, and comments from any of you. I read that flaming is prohibited, but I assume that does not apply to paint designs, right?! What about those smallish front ends and small front wheels I've seen on Tbs. Where do those come from? Motorcycle wheels?

Sounds like you will fit right in! All of us are a little strange! If you cant weld I would suggest you buy a kit or at least a frame from one of our sponsors. See logos at top of page. The wire wheels are special to cars as spokes are thicker and are available. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Welcome to the site! You should do some "homework", look at plenty of pics., read the write ups about them and look at the style of the different T's. Take notes of what you like. Get'rr done!

I am sort of half retired. I have employment, but a good bit of time. I took my 97 Mercury Grand Marquis (sister to the Crown Vic) to a shop and they said it would be something like $1500 or more to repair the frame on the Merc. It occurred to me that I could build a frame, and use the running gear from the motor to the rear wheels for a T-Bucket. Have I lost my mind? I have never welded, but I have many fabrication skills, and space to work. From my career, I have experience with a broad spectrum of things including Roots Blowers (though that would be way, way, way down on my list of priorities). I'd like information on frame design for a T-Bucket, and comments from any of you. I read that flaming is prohibited, but I assume that does not apply to paint designs, right?! What about those smallish front ends and small front wheels I've seen on Tbs. Where do those come from? Motorcycle wheels?

th_frame71.jpg 1327706007973-612125229.jpeg
These are from RPM one of our Hosts sponsors.

You can find Youngster's Frame plans on here also in frames and suspension.

:thumbsup:Welcome from St Louis, Digger! This is a great bunch to hang out with, and lots of info for your build. Here's some pictures from my build - very 'home made' as you can see, but it suits me and is a blast to drive! :D

Some pics from my build

Does your mercury have the aluminum front sub frame? If so, you could sell that to someone who is building a street rod to help finance your build. They are sought after for the brakes, r&p steering, and are easy to adapt into many older cars and trucks. There are other parts like the engine, trans, rearened maybe, that you could use for your proposed build. If you wanted to learn to weld, this would be a good excuse to learn, lol... it’s a very handy skill. Good luck.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back