Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

New to the Forum from Los Angeles

So I got a little update with the person he was doing the build with.
They guy says it a 327 block bored out to a 383 stroker. Although I love working on car and engines...I really don't know how much HP and Torque that can throw out there with the heads and stuff.

Maybe some of the old timers here can chime in, but that doesn't make sense.

The 327 was a 4" bore block with a 3.250 stroke, small main and rod bearings, and 11/32" rod bolts.

There's little more than 0.030" you can reasonably bore these out, so you aren't getting more than a couple inches from overbore.

383's come from using a 0.030" over bore on a 4" bore block with the 3.750" stroke of the sbc 400.

The 350 block has a 3.48" stroke and generally needs to be machined to clear a 3.750' stroker crank.

I'm pretty sure the 327 block is too narrow at the pan rails to clearance for a 3.750 stroke crank, though it might make to a 350".

Have you googled the numbers on the block, that might be a good starting point to really figure out what you have.

It is possible to make a 383 stroker out of the narrow journal 327 block, and I am sure back in the day it was probably done. Speed O-Motive used to make a kit for it, but these days, why would you? A 350 block makes much more sense as a starting point; keep the 327 block for a nostalgia motor.

Spanky, you're getting me in trouble! I spent almost an hour watching those videos. Interesting stuff and I learned a few things.
Thanks,
Bill

Now you're talking. Those were cool engines! Nice power and great sound! A good set of headers and a nice lopey cam. What more do you need!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back