Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Newb here from the UK.

Kevheslop

Good evening everyone.

Newbie to the site from the UK. Allow me to reintroduce myself.. my name is.... kevin, i have a interest in vehicles and engineering projects. Cars, trucks, van jetskis. Always had a love for American vintage cars and more recently watched a build blog on a T bucket. The minute i saw the car, how its built and how personal you can make it i kinda said to myself YES... thats the one i want to do next.

So here i am, looking at information, ideas and builds to truely get an understanding of how these things are created. I cannot wait to find some parts of my own and start. I see alot of people mention getting the cab first to then base your chassis off of that... is this a must? I only ask as in the UK there will be a severe lack of options lol..

Anyway hope to chat soon.

Welcome. You're on the best site for t buckets. There's a wealth of knowledge from some of the brightest and talented builders of these cars. A very knowledgeable member Gerry, lives in the U.K., check him out.

Let me add my welcome, Kevin, and refer you to my build pics on this site. One reason to begin with the "body" selection is because there are many choices for bodies, including those that have a little more interior room to accommodate our larger, "evolved" physiques than the original model-T's. Most manufacturers of bodies also make a frame to suit their body, with attaching points for engines, steering boxes, etc. You can even build from scratch with a set of plans from CCR, one of our sponsors. So . . . welcome aboard, and ask lots of questions. We're all experts, you know? :D:roflmao:

Buy a T with a VALID V5c and go from there. Your post says 'getting the cab first'. Just wondered if you are talking about a T or a C cab??? No matter which, just asking.
G

PS. I come from south of the Tamar.

Gents, thank you for the feedback and welcome. i look forward to reading the wealth of knowledge at hand.
Gerry, i can only speak to you online then :) sorry, i meant 'T' but couldnt think of the wording for the body, hence wrote cab. Thank you for the advice.

Bucket is the word, as the body looks just like a bucket, in a kind of way.

Don't mind the Devon types at all, especially as its so close to county line. My first trip as a kid, to a city, was to Plymouth, a true metropolis at the time. Had shop I had never seen before. That was over 55 years ago....

Welcome from “the colonies” . If you are building your own frame you need either the body or frame plans. Are you a fabricater?

thank you Fart... im not a fabricator in the sense of being able to weld. I have an engineering background and work with composites so any fibreglass bodywork i will be fine with. I will be able to cut and shape all the piece parts for the frame and get a friend to weld it all together. :)

Getting others to weld your stuff is a rough way to go. Take a welding course and a MIG welder (a good one) and learn a new skill.

Getting others to weld your stuff is a rough way to go. Take a welding course and a MIG welder (a good one) and learn a new skill.

Kevin, I am not a good welder either. I do have a MIG welder (Lincoln), and can weld a bracket or mend a broken part, but I wanted my frame welds and suspension components to be super strong, and fortunately know a couple of really good local welders who are bucketheads. :)

Rough means hard to me. With a little practice welding is not only fun ( for me) but very rewarding. I have been welding for 50 years but just recently started TIG welds and find it real rewarding to make a pretty weld.

My first welder was a TIG. That is not to say that I am any good, but I'm glad I learned that first and would recommend it. As ORF said it is fun.

That's true Fletch. You have to stay with it or you lose your touch. I started TIG and MIG welding 50 years ago. I got very good at it. As the years went by and my job duties changed, I did less and less of it. A few years ago I tried it again and made a mess of the first few things I tried to weld.
The other thing is your eyesight. If you can't see what you are welding. you can't do a nice job. Now I'm retired and the only thing I have is a stick welder. I haven't used that in years. I can imagine what a mess I would make of trying to use that!

Totally agree. Funny thing is that a did an overhead 45 degree tilted MIG weld the other day and its the best weld I have done for quite a while. As my eyes are not to good did it by feel. Thought it would be a mess but seen worse on welding forums.

That's true Fletch. You have to stay with it or you lose your touch. I started TIG and MIG welding 50 years ago. I got very good at it. As the years went by and my job duties changed, I did less and less of it. A few years ago I tried it again and made a mess of the first few things I tried to weld.
The other thing is your eyesight. If you can't see what you are welding. you can't do a nice job. Now I'm retired and the only thing I have is a stick welder. I haven't used that in years. I can imagine what a mess I would make of trying to use that!
I’m with you. I was a certified welder, could sit on top of an I beam, reach under it and weld by feel... not now. I frustrate myself now. I can still make strong, functional welds, but they aren’t as pretty as they once were. I also lost the sight in one eye... that really messes with me. I can stick and mig ok, not so much tig... the vision thing.

So, Kevin . . . now that we've completely hijacked your thread, ask some more questions to move your message count up to 10. After 10, you can post pictures!

1 a.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back