Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Nice Dreams

Hello all. My name is Chris and I just wanted to say hi and give a little backround. I'm 29 years old from south jerz. When I was a kid my dad built a Total performance T. I've been missing that car since he got rid of it 20 years ago. I'd love to build one with him now. I do have a lot of questions so please forgive me if I become a pain. I currently have a 90 mustang 5.0 that has seen better days, however the tranny and rear are bullet proof, and have about 100 miles on them. I would love to use it as a "donor." Is this idea feesable, or would I be better off trying to part out my car and start the T from just a Tper. kit? I'm still in the "dreaming stages of this project, I want to get as much info as possible, I don't want to start a project I can't finish.

Hi Chris!

:D

With respect to using your Mustang as a donor, is it an auto trans car? There's very little room for a clutch pedal assembly in a T. (Which isn't to say it cannot be accomplished, by all means!) I'm not sure on rear end width, but you might be able to use it as well. If you're planning on using Total as your source, call Brian and see what he can tell you about that rear end width.

Don't fret, nobody is going to accuse you of being a pain. We're all here to learn from one another.

Welcome Chris! You've come to the right place. I just so happens that tfeverfred is building a Total car now, and doing a great job, I might add. He's posting alot of great detail that should be of help to you. Just remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Youngster said:
Welcome Chris! You've come to the right place. I just so happens that tfeverfred is building a Total car now, and doing a great job, I might add. He's posting alot of great detail that should be of help to you. Just remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Welcome, Chris! As was said earlier, we are here to help eachothers dream come true. Although when I got up this morning, Hally Berry wasn't cooking breakfast!

I'm on my first one, but there are people like Rick, Youngster, a few others and even Digger,a guy from England, who have a few builds under their belts. Just let us know what you need.

Now, Hally won't answer her phone.:D Women.

Hey thanks all!!
I always thought "there are no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions:lol:"

The tranny was one of my main concerns, it has a tremmec 3550, I don't think I would have too much trouble trading for a C-4 maybe? The rear is the ford 8:8 with an auburn pro diff and moser 31 spline HD race axles, topped off with the girdle.
I see on the Tper. site they're kits come with an 8in or 9in ford rear. I know the early 80s mustangs had 7.5 rears then went to the 8.8. whats the difference between the 8 and 8.8??
Thanks again to all. Although i'm in the "planning" stages these questions anwered will let me know how soon the dream will come true

Here's a link to rearend widths. Total uses '71-'74 V8 Mavericks and early Mustang rears. You can compare the width of yours to these. It should at least get you on the right track.

http://www.teufert.net/other/rear end dimensions.htm

Remember, you may be able to compensate for width with whell offset.

Great!! thanks, I'll get a rough measurement tomorrow. Did i say this site is great!!:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back