Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

No brakes - hit the wall

motovate

OK - I had to move my T around at the storage locker. I haven't had it too long and haven't drove it much yet.

It is manual brakes - master cyl is down on the frame somewhere - pedal goes through the floor, disc on front, drum on the back - no idea if it has any valves in the system - might have a residual valve?? I just haven't had time to really look it over yet

When I traded for it in April and drove it around it had brakes - felt like manual - hard pedal compared to a power brake but had "feel" and stopped. I've driven it around the storage once ot twice and in and out of the locker once or twice.

I got into it today put my foot on it and it felt "normal" started it - and it started going forward - hit the brakes and it was hard as a rock and did not stop until I hit the wall. Seems like there is also a little issue with the Floor shifter!!!

No damage to T but the wall is dented and I"m sure it will cost me to fix that. Unknown what was on the other side - I guess I'll find out it any thing broke on that side.

I have never had brakes that went rock hard and did not slow the rig down. Parking brake works so I was able to use it to get the T back in.

Any Ideas???? I haven't had any experience with master cyls under the floor.:eek::mad::confused:

Check the fluid in master and check for leaks.Sounds like front brakes might work and rears are still pushing/No rear brakes.

Master cyl.'s under the floor are the same as the ones on firewall......just diff. locations........it you had issues with the shifter too.....something might be caught under there binding something up.

Do like Putz said....add fluid then go on fluid patrol......see if its leaking somewhere.............:cool:

I guess I don't under stand why a loss of fluid would cause a hard pedal and no brakes? My experience is a loss of fluid causes no pedal or a mushy pedal. I only had the emergency brake.

But you are right I need to get under and look. I suppose it could be old dirty fluid blocking off ports in the master cyl.

I thought there was some issue with master cyl being low on the frame?

LBM

I would suspect that the piston in the MC has stuck for some reason. Most likely water or old brake fluid that has absorbed too much moisture.

If that's the reason, you probably should go through the entire brake system.

Mike

I like the original model t hand brake location in my bucket ,,, I modified the rod under the trans. My neighbor used to drive and build super modified circle track cars and they usually had a tall hand brake on the left side of the cockpit. easy to grab . or hold when doing a burn out. and I can remember where it is when driving my 1922 T speedster.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back