Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

No space

OK, here's your answer:
PotvinGuy-ShockMount.jpg

You're welcome.

OK, here's your answer:
PotvinGuy-ShockMount.jpg

You're welcome.
Hmmmmmm....I'd invert the the bell crank, put it on the outside of the frame rail, along with the shock but make it a coil over. Then make the bell crank heavy enough to make it the upper control arm. Where the normal spring perch would be mount a Watts link propeller. <shrug>

That'll probably work o.k. .... consider this ; pick up a bar bell , put your hands as close to the weight as you can get , pretty easy to control , right ? , now put your hands together in the center , not near as easy , right? get the point ??
dave

That'll probably work o.k. .... consider this ; pick up a bar bell , put your hands as close to the weight as you can get , pretty easy to control , right ? , now put your hands together in the center , not near as easy , right? get the point ??
dave
Ah....no. Clarify, please.

It's much easier for the shock to contol the weight [wheel, tire , brakes] when it[the shock] ismounted as close as possible to them.....
dave

Great minds, Redewrpoiuuire. I've been drawing variations of this for years:

You and me both! The computer model is a design effort of GAB's I think. Maybe this discussion will bring him to the surface for a design lesson. His initial design like any other design will require some type of spring to support the car weight. The bell crank only controls the mechanical leverage. Increase the leverage and the suspension gets softer. Increase it and the ride is stiffer. Cad systems do make laying out the what ifs a lot easier. As long as you build the bell crank strong enough to handle the loads you can run pretty much any leverage ratio you want as long as you don't let it sweep in such a large arc that it hits something. Should not take much movement to get the job done. On other thing...horizontal dampeners need to have nitrogen bags inside the cylinder. That usually puts you into a racing or motorcycle shock. Keep up posted and have fun!

George

coilover_front%2520001.jpg

...my next bucket...someday.
e

I will have to fabricate the lower mount and it will be a little more towards vertical and pretty close to the spring shacke mounting position. The dampining effect on the axle should be fine.

Hey, Red, playing catch up here. Are you planning for a Panhard or other way to keep the axle from moving sideways? I've been toying with a variation on the Watts linkage called a Mumford linkage (Google it). It's used on the rear of road race cars (has some special geometry that they like), but should be dandy for the front. Here's my take:
mumford%2520bucket%2520blue.jpg

I have most of the parts and may get around to it next winter.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back