Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Noob getting info.

txschutte

Thanks for having me.

I've restored some cars, hot rod dedicated a few, but never built one ground up.

I build $10M+ buildings for a living from the ground up, so this should be easy.

Thanks in advance for the advice and information .

Welcome aboard! Building a T-bucket is fun and rewarding, but not "easy" at least not for me! But then, that's why we're here, to help you over the bumps. Do you have a particular style you're shooting for?

Welcome aboard! Building a T-bucket is fun and rewarding, but not "easy" at least not for me! But then, that's why we're here, to help you over the bumps. Do you have a particular style you're shooting for?
I do, thanks.

Short bobtail. I'm a big fan of LS engines for their reliability, auto trans., perhaps a jag rear, hood, etc.

I'm specifically looking at frame plans, and how to set up the front suspension . Those will be my challenges. Oh, and working fiberglass. Though, I'm still on the hunt for a steel body.

You know I'm going to ask many stupid questions, so have mercy.

I already have the engine/trans. Looking for the rear, then it's looking for a body, and radiator compatible with the LS. My plan is to get all of it set in line, see how much room I need, lay it out with cheaper angle steel, then start fabbing the chassis with 2x4x1/4 tube.

That's a pretty stout chassis. Mine is 2 x 3, 3/16-wall tubing from Spirit Cars and is plenty rigid, and can be drilled and tapped for brackets.

T Front End.jpg

Welcome! You'll do fine. By the way........ I'm still waiting for the easy part.;)

Thanks for the replies and early input.

I downloaded youngsters frame plans, and after some consideration , I will back the size down to 2x3x3/16. It looks like most frame manufacturing go this size. Youngster calls for 11 ga., but I'd worry about warpage, blow out, and subtle sagging.

Now to hit some events, and get some detail ideas.

Reactions: RPM
2x3x3/16 is a pretty common size for the T frames. The 3/16" gives you some meat to tap fine thread holes for brake line clamps and the like.

Welcome from Northern California. I'm planning to install a jag front and rear into my 1936 Nash Ambassador Six, so I'll be very interested in your jag rear if you opt to go that way.

I do, thanks.

Short bobtail. I'm a big fan of LS engines for their reliability, auto trans., perhaps a jag rear, hood, etc.

I'm specifically looking at frame plans, and how to set up the front suspension . Those will be my challenges. Oh, and working fiberglass. Though, I'm still on the hunt for a steel body.

You know I'm going to ask many stupid questions, so have mercy.

I already have the engine/trans. Looking for the rear, then it's looking for a body, and radiator compatible with the LS. My plan is to get all of it set in line, see how much room I need, lay it out with cheaper angle steel, then start fabbing the chassis with 2x4x1/4 tube.

Choppinczenh seems to be the glassmaster here, check out his threads pertaining to fiberglass....simply awesome! Running a bobtail myself, short wheelbase with a 350 SBC and powerglide , it is possible. I have a suicide front end, and runs great down the road.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back