Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

nOOb

Fawkes

Greetings all. Oh where to start.

First off, I just sold my Firebird in order to move from Seattle to San Antonio. I'm planning on what I want next, and the idea of a T is just sitting so right with me.

My dad built a 27 roadster (well, mostly built it until he started playing with sailboats before he passed). I was never really into the old hot rods, and focused more on muscle cars.

So here we are today, I have been looking at what a decent driver/project would run me, and am shocked at the prices. This got me to thinking, hey, why not a kit project? I just need to find a kit that has everything, minus engine/trans and wheels... for cheap.

I ran across Spirit's info, and am now looking at their 23T superkit. Any other options out there in that price range? I mean seriously, that is just about everything for 10K. That's crazy talk right there. And being the Pontiac guy that I am, I'm leaning toward a 400 Poncho to motivate it.

Anywho, it's good to be on here. I hope that this all works out.

Fawkes,

Welcome to the site. Since you're in Alamo City you might want to go see Gordon Leland at Alamo Hot Rod Parts (210-656-7637). He's been around for a lot of years and might just be able to help you out. Tell him George Cathey sent you. That won't get you a discount but make him give you a Coke! While you're there make him show you his Bonneville roadster they race. Good luck.

George

You wrote.... So here we are today, I have been looking at what a decent driver/project would run me, and am shocked at the prices. This got me to thinking, hey, why not a kit project? I just need to find a kit that has everything, minus engine/trans and wheels... for cheap.

now there have been some project cars on here for sale, some pretty complete for a ton less than 10K.... That is just what I would be doing if I wanted a T Bucket on the cheap, can't get any cheaper than a discarded project or a funny lookin used one.. :rolleyes: Plus, remember to offer less, as they will be NEEDING the cash... :)

George, I'll check Gordon out once we are settled in.

Ted, that is awesome advice. I will check that out.

Buying an unfinished project can be a great way to start. In most cases the reason the project is unfinished is because the seller's situation change and he can't finish it for financial reasons. Another reason is because the seller totally botched the build and the best way for him to rectify the problem is to sell it to some unsuspecting soul. This is probably a very rare occurrence but it is possible. Get pictures of the project, go see it if it's close enough or, if one of the forum members is near the project, ask them to go take a look for you. Occasionally you will find projects on Ebay for around $2500 which on it's face is a good price and well below what most kits sell for but if the body is cracked or cut up or if there are problems with the frame then the cost of buying and fixing it could end up being more than what the new kit would have cost in the first place. Caveat Emptor!

This is probably the main reason that I'm leaning to the Spirit kit. If it is brand new, I'm not picking up somebody else's headaches, but instead creating my own.

Then again, if it is mostly all there, and a good bargain, I am not against saving myself some cash. I will keep my eyes open for such a find, just in case.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back