Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Not a bucket, but a T

Gasser300

Hey all, new guy from Texas here. I puchased a lil project from a guy I work with. It is a very very nice 27 2dr sedan body on what appears to be a T bucket frame with a mustang II IFS. I know that none of you will approve of the IFS but thats what it has and I am not going to change it. It came with a nice lil 350 and T400 with a narrowed and chromed 8" ford rear. I do not like the narrowed rear and have bought a 9" that I am going to install.

Ive had to run brake lines. Make a mount for the minivan middle seat. Bought a alum radiator and a 16" Lokar shifter. Just waiting on snow to melt so i can work on it. I just have a 1 car garage.

If I am in the wrong place, please just let me know and I will simply lurk for the info I need. I chose this site as I do have a T bucket frame and do have a T. The one pic is at halloween. Pushed it to the end of driveway and hung halloween crap all over it. Was a BIG hit with the kids.

Peace.

Attachments

• yard 2.jpg
    yard 2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 209
  • halloween2.jpg
    halloween2.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 209
Welcome, cool T :thumb: Where ya at in Texas?

Welcome, cool T
hi.gif
Where ya at in Texas?

Ft Worth.

Ive got a windshield for it. Some block huggers with some really cool homemade sidepipes that a neighbor had at a garage sale. It should sound really good. I do have fenders and boards for it . The rear fenders are steel T but the boards and fronts appear to be A fenders. I am not gonna run em.

Welcome to the site! :hb:

This a respectful bunch. You are obviously used to a different crowd.
<

There are no "traditional police" here.
They will give you suggestions but no BS. Mike doesn't allow it. :thumb:

And.. a number of folks run ifs. But not so many with skulls and webs.

Safety is big.

Ask questions. Answers will be provided.

If you don't mind... I'll be hittin' you up for some measurements from that body as that's what I'm hoping mine will be some day.

Joe

Welcome to the forum Gasser300.

Hey thanks. When I first go t this thing I thought I had myself a rat rod project so I joined some rat sites. WHile tehyre great sites and I surf them daily, I just dont feel that welcome.

My project came from northern calif a couple years ago. It changed hands here twice with no work being done till I got it. It is a great project but some things about it are kinda goofy. It is a T bucket frame I think and the body isnt the right fit lengthwise. The firewall is very recessed and the engine set back in it. I added some weld on frame horns on it because I wanted that look. I plan on some artillery wheels for it after I get it going with whats on it. I dont like the rear axle width so a full width 9" is next. I was running brake lines when I decided I just didnt like the rear axle.

I am now trying to decide on coil overs or springs for it. I have never set up a rear axle before but I think I can get it right.

Gasser,
should you decide to part with those fenders and boards let me know. Sure wish I could find a body in that kind of shape....gonna be nice..........ruggs

Welcome to the site. You are at the right place for hot rod Ts. Our next project is a 26 T coupe. Your sedan is in much better shape than my coupe.

The guy I bought my car from has a nice coupe body as well.

Thanks RPM. I found your site months ago and have surfed it quite a bit. I will buy some stuff from you.

On the fenders, Once I am driving this thing I will decide what to do with the fenders. Unfortunatly tehyre cut out to clear A arms on suspension. I will be going with tubular BTW on that. Stock is way ugly.

Welcome to the site. Very cool project. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ron

Hey all,

I finally replaced my rear end with a 9". I have some coil overs coming and am wondering if somebody knows of a page to help me in the installation of them.

I found info on spring rates and read some threads here on spring rates and bought 250lb spring coilovers. I have it figured they need to be mounted at 20 degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Very nice lookin rig. Looks like a bunch of fun. Good luck. :thumb:

Welcome to the site gasser. I live just up the road from you. Maybe we can get together sometime and discuss ideas.

Eric

Hey all,

I finally replaced my rear end with a 9". I have some coil overs coming and am wondering if somebody knows of a page to help me in the installation of them.

I found info on spring rates and read some threads here on spring rates and bought 250lb spring coilovers. I have it figured they need to be mounted at 20 degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well now, spring placement, with a larger and taller body, but still not so much more weight, you may want to wait till you have more finished weight on the chassis, to see just where is BEST to mount your coil-overs, in front of the rear end or behind, behind if they settle too much in front, as far as angle goes, that depends again on leverage and travel wanted... Test and then test again.. GREAT body, you are very LUCKY to find that one for sure... :thumb: PS, Welcome to the site...

Well now, spring placement, with a larger and taller body, but still not so much more weight, you may want to wait till you have more finished weight on the chassis, to see just where is BEST to mount your coil-overs, in front of the rear end or behind, behind if they settle too much in front, as far as angle goes, that depends again on leverage and travel wanted... Test and then test again.. GREAT body, you are very LUCKY to find that one for sure...
smile.gif
PS, Welcome to the site...

Hey thanks. Here is what ive calculated.....tell me if i am on the right path.

Speedway has a little chart that gives estimated weights of hotrods. I took that and they have an angle calculator and I also found a site Pro Shocks that has a spring rate calculator. Well after all that I came up with 250lb springs at either a 20 or 25 degree angle.

I dont understand how im supposed to do this with all the weight on the chassis.

I know i am wrong but i am thinking that if I lower the chassis down to what i feel is bottomed out and compress the coilover and mount it, that it will be somewhat correct. As ive calculated the angle and weight.

I do not expect somebody to be able to do this here online but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey thanks. Here is what ive calculated.....tell me if i am on the right path.

Speedway has a little chart that gives estimated weights of hotrods. I took that and they have an angle calculator and I also found a site Pro Shocks that has a spring rate calculator. Well after all that I came up with 250lb springs at either a 20 or 25 degree angle.

I dont understand how im supposed to do this with all the weight on the chassis.

I know i am wrong but i am thinking that if I lower the chassis down to what i feel is bottomed out and compress the coilover and mount it, that it will be somewhat correct. As ive calculated the angle and weight.

I do not expect somebody to be able to do this here online but any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is all pretty easy to do. Block the frame up, on the floor, at the ride height you want. Put the rear end under the frame, blocked up at the rolling height. Say you are going to run 30" tall tires. Then you want the center of the rear end housing at 15" off the floor. The shock manufacturer will give you 3 lengths on the coil over. Free length, compressed length, and mounted length. Using the mounted length. Say it is 12". Take 2 pieces of 1x1 tube and drill 2 holes 12" apart, the same as the mounted length. Now you have shocks to work with. Hold them at your 20 deg angle where you want them and fab some mounts. You can exchange the springs later on if it is too stiff or too lite. Also most coil overs have an adjuster on them to fine tune all of this.

Make sure you have 2-3" of space from the top of the rear end housing to the bottom of the frame.

Hey thanks RPM, I printed that and will use it when the coilovers come in.

I have the axle tacked in at the radius rods right now. It may or may not be right. I did the 3 degree thing with the trans and rear end pinion.

I have some old N50/15's on it now but will run some 30" Mickeys I think.

I have a 3" block on top oh housing holding up frame now. I was thinking that was about where it needed to be so it appears in may get this right after all.

Man that Buttera sedan is nice. I like the T fenders on it. I didnt have plans on making mine a full blown street rod but with that pic as an inspiration, who knows what will happen. thanks for that.

This body I have is very very sweet. Yes it has some bodo here and there but its very presentable. If I had a buyer for it at the right price I might sell it and get a truck cab to do this but thats just wild thinking there.

Lil John's sedan was ''freshened up'' and sold at an aution in Az a few years back. I was surprised to see the selling price was so low ... something like $16,000!

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back