Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Old guy with new T

Monte

Over the last year and a half I have been constructing a '23 with a small block Chevy. Frame is from Speedway with my own additions. Body is modified with right door. After 50 years in the car business, this is the first car I have built from scratch. Glad to be here.

Welcome from St Louis, Monte! What are your plans for a transmission and rear axle?

Welcome from St Louis, Monte! What are your plans for a transmission and rear axle?
It has a turbo 350 trans and a Currie 9 in rear end. Items obtained from swap meets. I have them installed in frame. It also has a 4 inch drop front axle from an internet vender.

Those are good pieces. I'm very pleased with the TH 350 behind my mild 5.7 L small block. I'm running a 10 bolt rear out of a Camaro with 3.08 gears, and I like it.
17 Power train2.jpg

My Currie came with a 4.11:1 ratio. Probably too low for street use. Will have to drive it a while to see. Swap meets are great for deals, but sometimes a gamble.

My Currie came with a 4.11:1 ratio. Probably too low for street use. Will have to drive it a while to see. Swap meets are great for deals, but sometimes a gamble.
Everybody has their own idea of how low to go on rear end gears. Mine rear ratio is 3:89:1 and I really like it but I have three friends who are running 4.11's without overdrive transmissions and they put on plenty of freeway miles.

Rear tire size is also a big factor, and I opted for small (27") rear tires, since I use a rather tall gear (3.08).

Side View.jpg

I'm running a Turbo 350 with a 4.10 Eaton posi in an S10 rear end with 31" tall tires.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back