Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

One for Screemin metal...

Gerry

Thought you might like this buddy.

Old Topo (from the good old USA) did 234 thro the traps ( and was within 9/1000 of a second against the Alchy FC in the other lane. Thats 3" at the stripe) and then couldn't stop. The guys a hero in my books. He ran mid 6s all weekend on a track that had 9 second cars sideways.

Also they got back an old brutish dragster that ran a 997cc; type A series engine, as used in the first Minis. It held a load of records back in the day. The PA said it was the son of the guy who built it running up the strip.

So it stages up with another slingshot from way back when and runs through the traps at over 100mph. It comes to pass that the Dad, not the son was driving and had been told to do no more than 20mph on the pass. The dad is 91 years old and last weekend he raced an old competitor over the quarter because they just could NOT do an exibition run, they had to race. Kinda makes you think that the F1 guys could learn a lesson here!!!!!

Just got to love these old dudes (mmm at my age thats a bit of calling the kettle black) they just keep delivering this stuff with no real recognition.

Hope you enjoy
G

Thanks Gerry! Its funny....the young guns coming up think us old uns don't know anything or how to drive....we're the ones giving them the chances to earn their bones out on the strip. Thank god I'm retiring this year, the way strips are being run now, plus if you aren't backed by a corp. with big bucks, our just outta luck, the small guys can't compete anymore.
Remember the days when competitors would blow their motors, then, the folks in the racing community would let someone BORROW their motor to finish their races? Those days are pretty well gone....now, its all about the money, the title, the #1 Position, the points....
In my book, things need to go back to what they were....well, except for the safety aspects....
Theres alot of folks getting out of racing now....but the old nost. racers and altered folks probably won't let me retire all the way. They still want me to work 2 to 3 days a week.
So, I'll just be schuffling my feet like snoopy, hoping on planes here and there, going this place and that place, for me to put in my 2 pecos....
Like the song says-What a drag it is getting old-....but at least I fly 1st class and am not cramped....and I now eat ate at decent restraunts, and stay at nice hotels instead of sleeping in a trailer at the track, and I don't spend all night putting together a running motor from pieces/parts for racing the next day, expecting to pull one out the ass, and put someone in the winners circle.
Thank god for small miracles....

Yea, I was there for part of it....Great people in the hotrod and racing community there in England! Stands were full, people enjoying themselves, great races, good times had by all!

Just found a vid of the Little 997 rail.

instead of sleeping in a trailer at the track, and I don't spend all night putting together a running motor from pieces/parts for racing the next day, expecting to pull one out the ass, and put someone in the winners circle.

You know the same as I do, that those days were the best you can get..........

Good to know you are relaxing after all the years of fun n frolics.

That was such a shame, so sorry to see a rod hit the wall. That lane was slippery all weekend but an old USA guy, at 71, put his AA/FA up that side at 6.5 and 234 mph, fighting it all the way....

Loads on UTub, also know as twister. Just out in 'twister T bucket'.He has had to soften the launch since the early days od wild wheelies and chassis twisting.

I think there is a shot of Twister on the vid in my first post.
G

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back