Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Opinions wanted

old round fart

As my name implies , I'm old and only have one more build in me so I want it to be as cool as possible.
My problem is I have what I think are two real cool projects but can't decide which way to go.

I bought a stretched Spirit '23 body to see if I could get a door in it to be able to get my big butt in and out. Well in the last year I have lost 80 lbs. so that is not as big a problem but it's there and use it. That will be used on both projects. I channeled the front to cover the frame but I angled the floor so the rear will be 3" deeper to sit lower. I will have a windshield just high enough to be above my head and a top.
Now the question.
Project 1: I have a 671 blower and a Pete's Engineering drive (from "Sneaky" Pete Robinson who I raced with until he was killed in '71 at Pomona) so that has special meaning. I want to prune it like the one I had on my orange car. The manifold has no thermostat so it will be easy to plumb it for electric water pump and put the radiator in the bed like Povtinguy did his. I may or may not stretch the wheelbase as much as I did on my orange car. Small block and 350 turbo.
My second website I follow is:LocostUSA.com • View forum - Non-Traditional Builds Log
This led me to midlana.com. I bought the book and really got excited!
Project 2: This involves a Honda drive train in a mid engine configuration. the bed may need to be extended bet not enough to make it ugly. The front end would possibly take one of these looks.SuperBellCoupe-front.jpg midlana.JPG
What do you guys and gals think? Thanks John

I don't think you can go wrong with a blower that had lots of meaningful history. I vote for project #1

How about both. The rear/mid engine configuration, but with a Toronado/Eldorado drivetrain equipped with your 671.

I don't think you can go wrong with a blower that had lots of meaningful history. I vote for project #1
On that I need to decide on an exposed tube frame or a covered nose. Think front engine dragster with torsion bar suspension. That is where I'm leaning but the mid engine gives more leg room and better gas mileage.

How was the orange car to drive? It seems to me that the extended length would make maneuvering tedious.

I think I'd go with the covered nose, then cap it with one of the vintage modified/sprint/midget style noses. I always liked the old medium length slingshots with the covered front end.

The orange car was a dream to drive. Length was deceiving. It was shorter than a vega station wagon! The wheelbase was 144" but had no overhang so looked longer. The wing was a r/c airplane wing I covered with fiberglass. I think I can build one in aluminum for this one.

I'm impressed that it was an actual airfoil. If you're thinking about
going to Bonneville, then it would be nice to make it adjustable.

Well, if I ever get mine built we'll have both ends of the wheelbase spectrum covered...I'm shooting for a 92" wheelbase.

To old for bonneville! I have been 175 mph in 7.60 sec. and can't afford that anymore. This will be something to express myself and give me a reason to get off the couch. I love building. Thought the custom would do it but just not exciting enough to do it.

Zandos! With my car I could leave on the mat with hands off the wheel! You will need to grow another arm leave a stoplight on the mat! LOL

Let me know if you need a couple pair of extra hands (weak mind,
so, so strong back), I'm always looking to learn something new!!! :roflmao::thumbsup:

Let me know if you need my phone number.

Your mention of leg room just triggered a memory of something that could be seriously cool looking...at least to me. Not too long ago I ran across someplace selling fiberglass Austin Bantam roadster bodies with 15" extended cowls. I've always liked the look of the Bantam roadster bodies, and I can see one setting on the back end of a stretched wheelbase chassis with a covered nose.

Your mention of leg room just triggered a memory of something that could be seriously cool looking...at least to me. Not too long ago I ran across someplace selling fiberglass Austin Bantam roadster bodies with 15" extended cowls. I've always liked the look of the Bantam roadster bodies, and I can see one setting on the back end of a stretched wheelbase chassis with a covered nose.
That would be cool but I already have my body. Part of what I like about a bucket is the distance from the firewall to the windshield.

Sorry...some how I got it in my head that you were unsure about using that body :oops:

I was rereading your initial post to see what else I missed...Are you saying that you're body will be channeled in the front, but unchanneled in the rear?

Don-Kendall-T-Bucket-14.jpg
Sorry...some how I got it in my head that you were unsure about using that body :oops:

I was rereading your initial post to see what else I missed...Are you saying that you're body will be channeled in the front, but unchanneled in the rear?
Yes, that is correct. I think it will be unnoticeable except from real low or far away. If it looks to bad I will make headers to fit real close to the body to hide them. I am only 5'6" so I will try to get down as much as I can in the car.

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct. I think it will be unnoticeable except from real low or far away. If it looks to bad I will make headers to fit real close to the body to hide them. I am only 5'6" so I will try to get down as much as I can in the car.

I played around with that configuration in my CAD program, because my body was channeled by the previous owner. I think for my purpose the short wheelbase emphasized the angle, and it seemed to me to be rake overkill.

I played around with that configuration in my CAD program, because my body was channeled by the previous owner. I think for my purpose the short wheelbase emphasized the angle, and it seemed to me to be rake overkill.
I haven't set my frame angle yet so I can adjust that. If the body has to much rake I'll just make the frame rail drop from the firewall back. Problem solved. I want the front to look like a tube frame but I can't use a true tube frame in the rear and still use the doors so I will make that transition anyway. Just talking about this is getting me all excited again. I will be making a 1 1/2 " tube axle with Chevy bosses to go with the wire wheels I have staked out! Like I say, I've been thinking about this a while!
Is this what you are thinking about your car? Looks short to me!

Von-T-Von-Esser-Speed-Shop.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back