Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Opinions wanted

I haven't set my frame angle yet so I can adjust that. If the body has to much rake I'll just make the frame rail drop from the firewall back. Problem solved. I want the front to look like a tube frame but I can't use a true tube frame in the rear and still use the doors so I will make that transition anyway. Just talking about this is getting me all excited again. I will be making a 1 1/2 " tube axle with Chevy bosses to go with the wire wheels I have staked out! Like I say, I've been thinking about this a while!
Is this what you are thinking about your car? Looks short to me!

View attachment 11778

Naaaa...that one doesn't do it for me. Actually my inspiration was Tweedy Pie
Tweedy Pie.jpg
Tweedy was the first hot rod to really capture my attention, way back in the early '60s. When I decided to build a T-bucket-esque vehicle, I knew Tweedy was going to be my starting point. Tweedy has a wheelbase of 84"...since my body is stretched 8", my target wheelbase settled on 92".

The next big influence I did not find until I started looking at pics to see what is going on with T based hot rods today...I found the Mutt Special
Mutt Special 2.jpg
The Mutt set me on the track roadster look..,.and showed me that it is possible to build a 90-something inch wheelbase car that is lower than Tweedy. The one thing I never liked about Tweedy was the extreme rake. Now, with my mobility issues, getting the car as low as practical is a must.

This is how I've merged the two, making accommodations for my mobility issues
Project.jpg

I haven't set my frame angle yet so I can adjust that. If the body has to much rake I'll just make the frame rail drop from the firewall back. Problem solved. I want the front to look like a tube frame but I can't use a true tube frame in the rear and still use the doors so I will make that transition anyway. Just talking about this is getting me all excited again. I will be making a 1 1/2 " tube axle with Chevy bosses to go with the wire wheels I have staked out! Like I say, I've been thinking about this a while!
Is this what you are thinking about your car? Looks short to me!

View attachment 11778

You might want to think about a larger axle diameter. 1-1/2" is pretty small for a street ride. I know that you are aware of diameter is your friend. A dropped axle in a small diameter could drop some more with use or impact loads due to rough roads or pot holes. The industry standard in true bent tube street axles seems to be 1.75" OD and I would prefer to make it a 2.0" OD. Just something to think about. Good luck with the project. Oh one other thing. I really like the little aluminum skinned Locost styled roadster sport cars! have fun.

George

My thought about the tube diameter was based on the face that the SCCA thinks 1 1/2 x .095 is good enough for a roll bar for a 3000 pound car then 1 1/2x.250 should be ok for a long wheelbase t bucket. If I bend it I have 1 3/4 dies to rebuild!
X

A front axle sees constant vertical loads and deflections due to pot holes and irregular road surfaces. The hard impact loads from sudden holes or that rare speed bump or rock really are hard on tube bends and can cause permanent yield issues. A roll bar only sees any loads when it has to do it's job and it should only be used once. A T/F dragster cage is built with 1.50" x .065 wall 4130 tube and the do their job well. Just something to think about.

George

A front axle sees constant vertical loads and deflections due to pot holes and irregular road surfaces. The hard impact loads from sudden holes or that rare speed bump or rock really are hard on tube bends and can cause permanent yield issues. A roll bar only sees any loads when it has to do it's job and it should only be used once. A T/F dragster cage is built with 1.50" x .065 wall 4130 tube and the do their job well. Just something to think about.

George

Please no roll bar testing.

@ old round fart, Have you seen this photo?

I found it on the net at some point and had it in my "favorites"

front tires.jpg folder.

@ old round fart, Have you seen this photo?

I found it on the net at some point and had it in my "favorites"

View attachment 12016 folder.
I have not seen that. It is still shorter than I'm thinking. I hope to get the motor to my shop soon. My darlin wife cleaned out the shop and donated it to the volunteer fire dept. for their annual fundraiser. I hope with the motor I can get an idea of what it will look like.

That looks to be a real functioning wing on the back, not just some board
mounted at angle.....cool cool!!!

I wonder what the turning radius is. Be like parking a One ton crew cab truck with a contractors bed on it in a parking garage.... Been there. Perhaps you could add skid steer brakes like a tractor or dune buggy, where you lock one or the other rear wheel to help it turn. Might be tuff on the posi unit. I am being a smart butt..... Cool car!

Reactions: RPM
That looks to be a real functioning wing on the back, not just some board
mounted at angle.....cool cool!!!
It was a narrowed model airplane wing.

I wonder what the turning radius is. Be like parking a One ton crew cab truck with a contractors bed on it in a parking garage.... Been there. Perhaps you could add skid steer brakes like a tractor or dune buggy, where you lock one or the other rear wheel to help it turn. Might be tuff on the posi unit. I am being a smart butt..... Cool car!
The car looked long because it was tires at each end. It was shorter than a Vega station wagon. Never had a hard time parking.

It was a Falcon 56. That is a .40 size 56" wing span. It was a good second airplane. Flew slow but would still do aerobatics.

It sure looked much bigger than .40 size plane. Did you fly radio controlled planes?

I tried it, too many dimensions. I did much better with just two dimensions. Had a
50% sponsorship from Bolink way back when.

It sure looked much bigger than .40 size plane. Did you fly radio controlled planes?

I tried it, too many dimensions. I did much better with just two dimensions. Had a
50% sponsorship from Bolink way back when.
Been flying off and on since 1990. Most enjoyed Senior Pattern flying.

Hello Old Fart. I hang out at the Locost forum as well. I've been posting my build there. I'm 6'2", 230lbs with a 34 inch inseam. I wanted to sit low in my car. I'm combining a Locost inspired frame with a Hot Rod body. Have fun!

I think I know your build. I was real torn between Midlana build and bucket build but can't resist big block sound and torque!

Personally I not care for for the covered front end, I like an exposed power plant. This looks like a sprint car......but if that is the look you are going for, go for it. I again like shinny and exposed, not so much roll cage and covered front end. And hell who can go wrong with a blower definitely keep that idea!! Just my two cents......

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back