Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ordering parts long distance

KAA

Just wandering how any of you handled buying parts long distance and the company wants half down but was going to be awhile before they can fill your order? I've been thru this before and just looking at a way to protect myself. Thanks.

What do you mean by "long distance"? U.S.A to Canada or Mexico or Europe? Or vice versa? Need more details.

Sorry tfeverfred. Its here in the US I guess about 1500 miles. Great parts. I have done business with other companies before that tell you 2 weeks and turns into 6 weeks but they had my money.

I don't see the fear in sending the money up front. I mean, why would they send you something with no payment?All companies work this way, unless it's COD. If it's a "made to order" part, maybe they need a commitment from you to build it. If it's a part that would normally be in stock, I might be a little cautious or suspicious. So, what's the part you need and what company are you dealing with?

I know a lot of you buy parts all the time and never seem to have any problems. Would like to build a T but past projects keeps me from pulling the trigger. Not anyone here but I did business with a big name company years ago and they told me 3weeks and it turned into 4months. Found out later they had a celebrity come in and I got pushed aside. I talked to a company the other day and they told me july but they said they had a couple of orders and he thought they were not in any hurry and he might be able to work me in ahead of them. I'm not going to do that.

tfeverfred.... I'm looking at getting a body and frame. I'd rather not say what companies I have talked to. All the companies I have dealt with over the years turn out great parts. It would be nice if they were honest. I know the hot rod business can be cut throat with as many shops around wanting everyone business.

Just wandering how any of you handled buying parts long distance and the company wants half down but was going to be awhile before they can fill your order? I've been thru this before and just looking at a way to protect myself. Thanks.

If you're worried, just put it on a credit card. That way you have some recourse if things go south. I bought my body and frame and a whole bunch of other stuff from Ron at RPM. I paid upfront and didn't worry a bit. He requested 50% down, which I thought was fair.
Brian

I can understand wanting money up front on special orders and they give you a time line or they tell you they have that in stock and they were looking at the part. then 2 weeks later you call them and they tell you they were wrong and it will be 3 weeks.

Well, I hope it works out.

As a side note, why is it people are afraid to mention a company that may or may not be doing things on the up and up? If a company has bad business practices, people need to know who they are. Just think how many people would have gotten screwed, if issues with Wintec hadn't been brought up.

Private message

Click on my avatar, Then, click on "start a conversation".

I started one. Have at it.

If they need money up front they can’t afford to be in business! RUN!
THAT IS NOT TRUE AT ALL! I tried not taking a deposit on orders, then when a tank was finished and the card was run it was declined. Then you call the guy and he says oh I have gone a different direction. Then I am stuck with some weird tank and set on it for a couple of years. Same way with a custom axle or a chassis. i got all kinds of axles here that were ordered and never picked up.

Good points Ron. I guess I should have qualified that. IF a custom part is ordered it should be paid in full. Any stock item is not a necessary up front pay. You are calling the shots and I would not hesitate to go ahead pay up front because of your reputation. Hope I didn’t offend you. John

Reactions: RPM

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back