Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ordering parts long distance

Good points Ron. I guess I should have qualified that. IF a custom part is ordered it should be paid in full. Any stock item is not a necessary up front pay. You are calling the shots and I would not hesitate to go ahead pay up front because of your reputation. Hope I didn’t offend you. John
All is good, just wanted to point that out.

I have no problem paying up front, either a deposit or all of it, especially for custom parts or stuff that require material, etc to build. I have, however, been screwed. Wintec is a perfect example. I did eventually get my non custom, supposedly in stock parts, but it was a rediculous ordeal. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Make sure the company is legit and interested in YOUR business. Don’t fall for a brand name, advertisement, etc... see what costomers say. I’ve been on both sides of the fence. I used to do work for people a lot, and they want everything until they realize the price. I want enough money up front to at least cover the materials and ensure that they are invested enough to follow through. The credit card idea is a good precaution, just know what their guidelines are. Check their local AG office, etc... the BBB can provide info also, but from experience, the BBB is not there to protect the customer. If there are many complaints, even if they show resolved, BEWARE, imho.

I agree fletcherson. I don't mind sending some money down. I don't like it when they want 4000.00 down but not start on the parts for 2 months. If they called me a couple of weeks before they start I would send the money. I have sent a large amount in the past and was told 3 months. It turned into 6 months. And it still wasn't right. If I do it again I will have a better plan.

50% down for a body and chassis is pretty much the way it works and I have no problem with it. Having to wait a while is part of the
game also on build to order stuff. Part of the problem is people that change their mind 1/2 way through and want more done than was
originally agreed to, which really throws a wrench in the process.

I agree fletcherson. I don't mind sending some money down. I don't like it when they want 4000.00 down but not start on the parts for 2 months. If they called me a couple of weeks before they start I would send the money. I have sent a large amount in the past and was told 3 months. It turned into 6 months. And it still wasn't right. If I do it again I will have a better plan.
I get it. I paid for in stock parts that were to be delivered in two weeks due to chrome and it took several months, like six, to finally get them... then the finish wasn’t great and they won’t fit without modification...chrome. Sometimes things happen, but some things aren’t acceptable. When you are stretching to spend the money on a personal build, setbacks like that suck the wind out of your sails....ruins the experience. Just do some research and be sure they are honorable. There are other guys who will strive to provide good service. Maybe post a overview of your planned project and ask for opinions and reccomendations on suppliers from other guys who have experience. It might save you some grief.

I paid for in stock parts that were to be delivered in two weeks due to chrome and it took several months, like six, to finally get them... then the finish wasn’t great and they won’t fit without modification...chrome.

Due to EPA regulations chrome platers are hard to find these days, and the good ones seem few and far between. When you read magazine articles about car builders, they frequently use chrome shops that are far, far away from where they are building the car, and I think that's the reason. Still, I prefer it over ceramic coatings, but that's just me.

THAT IS NOT TRUE AT ALL! I tried not taking a deposit on orders, then when a tank was finished and the card was run it was declined. Then you call the guy and he says oh I have gone a different direction. Then I am stuck with some weird tank and set on it for a couple of years. Same way with a custom axle or a chassis. i got all kinds of axles here that were ordered and never picked up.

Ron speaks from experience. Anyone in the specialty fabrication business gets deposits just for the reason he stated. Companies that build large projects such as oil field drilling or production equipment borrow money from their banks based on customer purchase orders. Just way to much money involved to operate on your own money.

I need to back track my earlier post. I thought we were referring to individuals selling parts. It is a hard choice either way buying and selling. I have sent many individuals parts and only got stung one time in 25 years. Not bad, and lucky for me it was a less that 20.00 loss. I sold cargo trailers that were pulled behind motorcycles. I would never start a project without 1/2 upfront, and total before shipping.

Due to EPA regulations chrome platers are hard to find these days, and the good ones seem few and far between. When you read magazine articles about car builders, they frequently use chrome shops that are far, far away from where they are building the car, and I think that's the reason. Still, I prefer it over ceramic coatings, but that's just me.
I won’t get into the epa thing as it seems to be a delicate topic to some, but I agree. I remember being able to exchange damaged big bumpers for straitened, rechromed ones for thirty five dollars back when my dad had his body shop. Chrome is not as good as it used to be and much more expensive. I restored a little fiat spider when going through radiation and related cancer therapy to keep my mind occupied and the closest chrome plater I found wanted twelve hundred bucks for the bumpers... were talking two round tubes less than four feet long. They look great painted bed liner black! I like the look of chrome, it’s high maintenance. The bucket I’m redoing is from the seventies and has a lot of chrome, so I am forced to use chrome parts to match or I wouldn’t. It has all chrome front and rear suspension and steering parts, painted would have suited me fine... if I had it to do over, I would have flipped it as is and bought one finished or build two or three with the proceeds.... I’m a sucker for nostalgic cars and projects.

Just doing your part to keep the economy flowing, people in jobs !;)

I get it. I paid for in stock parts that were to be delivered in two weeks due to chrome and it took several months, like six, to finally get them... then the finish wasn’t great and they won’t fit without modification...chrome. Sometimes things happen, but some things aren’t acceptable. When you are stretching to spend the money on a personal build, setbacks like that suck the wind out of your sails....ruins the experience. Just do some research and be sure they are honorable. There are other guys who will strive to provide good service. Maybe post a overview of your planned project and ask for opinions and reccomendations on suppliers from other guys who have experience. It might save you some grief.

The reason we don't offer any chrome.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back