Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Paint Ideas

I was all set up in my cart to buy summits hot rods flats paint and it would not let me check out. I called on the phone and was told they cannot ship any of there summit auto paints to California. So plan is to take a drive to the summit store in Reno and buy some shortly. So it is good to see you have tried it and it worked our ellis8500. Thanks for saying.

Clean, clean, clean the surface, then clean it again and tack rag everything, masking, everything, hose the floor to keep dust down. You can use prep-solv or equivelant, or fast reducer that is compatible with your sealer and top coat, and use lint free cloth. Jmo

I appreciate all the helpful advice. While my T-bucket already is painted (by a pro) I have a '36 Nash that I'd like to paint myself -- I'm hoping to do everything myself on that project. I shot some of SPI's epoxy primer -- and quickly realized that I have a steep learning curve to climb. But that's part of the fun of this hobby! :) At some point my T-bucket is going to need touch-ups (rock chip repairs and replacement part painting) so I will learn by practicing on my Nash. (Don't tell my Nash -- it might get jealous! :whistling: )

There are good books at the library that outline body and paint work too, but finding the correct chemicals and learning to apply them takes trial and error. One good thing about buying from an actual automotive paint store is they know their product and can provide assistance.

I've collected a rather extensive library of "how to" books related to all things automotive -- I guess that reflects how much I've needed to learn. And I agree with buying from a good, local automotive paint store -- their assistance is worth its weight in gold (or the equivalent in automotive paint/chemicals, which seems to cost as much as gold!).

If you compare the cost of having someone paint your car to that of buying the tools, it doesn't take long to find yourself lusting over hvlp paint guns, sanders, etc... As long as you allow yourself a learning curve prior to attacking your pride and joy, the new found skill will pay dividends. I would recommend painting the riding mower, kids toys, spare hood, etc, to get the feel of the gun, and the chemicals before going after your car with $500.00 worth of chemicals to save some frustration. Then all of your buddies and neibors will be lining up...

For me its the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I know I will mess up something but I know I can probably fix it.

I have had very good luck with the Restoration Shop paints. They are inexpensive and available in single stage or two stage systems in lacquer, enamel, or urethane. I order mine from TCP Global. TCP also carries higher end paints.

It's funny...I've painted many cars, had several in car shows with pearls and candies etc...but when I painted the Roadster I uses a 1/2 qt of Semi-gloss Tremclad rust paint! Total cost..approx $40.00.
Took a week to fully dry to a usable point, but came out streak free and no runs.
A little bit of dust here and there and I don't care about that one bit. This is a fun car...not a show car.
Rode hard...put away wet! :D

That's why I like older trucks for daily drivers and general use, it don't hurt to use them... If they get a little bump, it just adds character. When I used to restore and repaint cars and such for people, my favorite part was watching them pull out of my lot... They looked good, and I didn't have to worry about scratching or marking them up anymore!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back