Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Panhard bar (front)

So does that mean that the bat wing on the dead side is slightly closer to the axle center than the one on the shackled side?

can some one please post some pictures of how they have mounted theres with the spring behing the axle please.
Mine is spring behind axle with rack & pinion steering, same as cross steer you need to have a panhard bar. I have mine mounted to the axle radius rod bracket, (some people mount them to the radius rod bracket we didnt like that idea) so we welded a piece of angle to the bracket before chrome, drilled for rod end, the other end is a 3/8 plate welded to the the spring plate, its offset to lengthen the rod out past center so we could use a longer rod. Works good for us. Jerry

HPIM1287.jpg

So does that mean that the bat wing on the dead side is slightly closer to the axle center than the one on the shackled side?

No, the dead perch is a bit longer to make up for the shackle.

Ron

Ron, I believe I saw one once that was basicly a shackle that had been welded in so it couldnt move.

That could be. The ones Speedway offered where a copy of the ones The Duece Factory produced. It looks like a regular radius rod pin only it has sort of a channel incorperated in it's design for the spring to mount in. Somewhere I have a copy of Laurel's race car parts from the late '20's and it has a pic of their rendition.

Ron

Ron, I have a question ; I was under the assumption that there were shackles to each end of the spring.. At least I was gonna do that on mine . What are the pros if any? and the cons ? On my T I'm using a i beam axle, spring behind , and hair pin radius rods. no cross steer, the box will have a straight link to the top control arm of the drivers wheel.

That's straight out of a Pete & Jake catalog Very good explination.

Roger .. This is just one way guys set up a cross steer. While some like to use a panhard bar on a setup like your's you will probably be able to live without one very easily.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I wasn't too sure if I was gonna need one in my set up.. But what about the spring shackle is it ok to run the spring behind the axle shackeled at both ends or will one side need to be a permant mount.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back