Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

pickup bed mounting

westmichguy

I am looking for info on mounting the pickup bed to the body. This is a Speedway setup and the bed bolts to the body and then the outside of the bed is blended to the rear of the body. Mine has cracked on both sides of the outside, while the mounting looks ok. The previous owner said this was from no support at the rear of the bed and he added to L-brackets to help support it. I am ok with repairing the fiberglass and blending it back in if ned be, however I would like to know if the should be more bracing for the bed and if so what should it look like. I am sure that the rear tire size and stiff suspension amplifies this problem.
Thanks,
Gil

DSCF0023.jpg

If nobody sits on the bed, there should not be a cracking problem IF the seam was molded correctly, using the right material (mat and cloth and maybe Tiger hair) to do the job, I have seen way too many using a Bondo type of filler used to mold the two pieces together, that will most always crack... and YES a rough or way to heavy of a spring will also shack a fiberglass body apart at any seams... A nice soft ride is what you want... But remember to use travel stops when you get a suspension that works as it should... a bit of square tubing used to make a holding frame for the bed would also help if you have anything mounted in the bed itself... JMHO :)

Yes I believe the rear springs are way too stiff, I have to sort that one out and see what others are using yet. As far as the bed, the gas tank and battery are both back there but both are mounted to the frame. I was more curious if people built some sort of inner structure for the bed or not. I have not seen any pictures of the inside of any.

Yes I believe the rear springs are way too stiff, I have to sort that one out and see what others are using yet. As far as the bed, the gas tank and battery are both back there but both are mounted to the frame. I was more curious if people built some sort of inner structure for the bed or not. I have not seen any pictures of the inside of any.
Mine has a floor that bolts to the frame first, then the fuel tank and such bolt through the floor to the frame also... The wood floor is tabbed with fiberglass to the sides and back of the bed... :)

If your springs are ahead of the rear end, maybe you can tilt them farther forward at the top to add leverage, to help the ride... or move them completely, farther forward a few inches... This will add more weight on them...

I did'nt think of that , I'll check them out to see where they ride thank you.

Really nice classic look I like it.:hoist:

I am looking for info on mounting the pickup bed to the body. This is a Speedway setup and the bed bolts to the body and then the outside of the bed is blended to the rear of the body. Mine has cracked on both sides of the outside, while the mounting looks ok. The previous owner said this was from no support at the rear of the bed and he added to L-brackets to help support it. I am ok with repairing the fiberglass and blending it back in if ned be, however I would like to know if the should be more bracing for the bed and if so what should it look like. I am sure that the rear tire size and stiff suspension amplifies this problem.
Thanks,
Gil

DSCF0023.jpg
I took off me bed cover and laid a staight edge across tho top of me bed and messured to the tank then cut some strips of wood and screwed that to the bed cover and that rest on the tank putting the weight of the bed on the tank

I took off me bed cover and laid a staight edge across tho top of me bed and messured to the tank then cut some strips of wood and screwed that to the bed cover and that rest on the tank putting the weight of the bed on the tank

Do you have any pictures of how you did yours?

I had the pleasure of having Breakfast with Ted about 9 months before he died. I happen to be going through Bakersfield on the way to visit with some friends and was able to contact Ted the night before I would be in Bakersfield, for the night, Ted was nice enough to meet me for breakfast and he looked at my Bucket after about a two hour meal. Really enjoied the meal and visit with Ted. . was very unhappy to hear that he died so soon. I sure would like to talk to him almost every day......

There are/ were a few guys that are a wealth of knowledge and are happy to share what they know. I respect those folks!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back