Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Picture "notification"

deckofficer

Banned
Mike,

I admit to being a picture junkie. When I am on the NTBA forum, I find myself scanning for the "camera symbol" that tells me the last poster to this thread posted a picture. Your forum has considerly more bells and whistles, not the same at all, so I don't have the foggest if having a "photo was posted" icon is even possible or easy?

Bob

Mike,

I admit to being a picture junkie. When I am on the NTBA forum, I find myself scanning for the "camera symbol" that tells me the last poster to this thread posted a picture. Your forum has considerly more bells and whistles, not the same at all, so I don't have the foggest if having a "photo was posted" icon is even possible or easy?

Bob

Comparing the NTBA forum to this is oranges to apples. Their forum is way out of date.

Not all threads with photos tell the complete story. I prefer to read all the posts in a thread so I can get the jest of the conversation. :)

I certainly don't want to knock the NTBA or their forum. Had I not found their forum as inconvenient as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, I would never have put this site together. And that's a fact. :nod:

Bob, if someone has posted an attachment image to a post, a small paperclip icon will appear next to the photo's title on the forum view page -

paperclip.png

If someone is pulling an image from an external URL, there is no way of knowing if the topic contains images or no.

I certainly don't want to knock the NTBA or their forum. Had I not found their forum as inconvenient as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, I would never have put this site together. And that's a fact. :nod:

Bob, if someone has posted an attachment image to a post, a small paperclip icon will appear next to the photo's title on the forum view page -

[attachment=5215:paperclip.png]

If someone is pulling an image from an external URL, there is no way of knowing if the topic contains images or no.

Hahahahahaha that is my sentiment exactly and was very well put Mike.

Nine times out of ten, I imbed my photos. Unfortunately, that doesn't show up on the index page. Regarding the NTBA forum, it's very unfortunate that the technology there hasn't kept up with the times. I still visit there, I'm a life member of the NTBA, but it is unfortunate that changes haven't been made.

p016-vi.jpg

Regarding the NTBA forum, it's very unfortunate that the technology there hasn't kept up with the times. I still visit there, I'm a life member of the NTBA, but it is unfortunate that changes haven't been made.
I let my NTBA membership lapse, a couple years back. I wasn't realizing any benefit from my dollars and their forum was just to painful to endure any longer. I suspect it's been 18-20 months since I last visited that site. I'm not proud of it, but it is an indication of how much I dislike trying to use their forum.

A little over a year ago, when I made the decision to move this site to Invision Power Board, my other option was to leave the site on vBulletin 3.8.x. But it was already announced that 3.8 was a dead branch and I didn't want to go on and on with a piece of software that was going to be out of date. I am always amazed to see the Hotrodders Bulletin Board, which is still running on vBulletin 3.0.7. They've got themselves a really large site and it's neat to see how well it runs on software that is so out of date. If memory serves, vBulletin 3.0.7 was from back around mid-year of 2005. I ran it myself, years ago. I suspect (and it really is just a guess) they've made enough modifications to the 3.0.x software, that they would have a problem bringing all those modifications up to date and have decided to just keep using what it working for them. VBulletin had really big upgrades from 3.0.x to 3.5.x, then 3.6.x, then 3.7.x, then 3.8.x and they are now running on 4.0.x. I cringe at what it would take to upgrade a site with 1 million-plus posts from 3.0.7 all the way up to 3.8.x or 4.0.x. <shudder>

That could be the problem the NTBA has. I've no idea what their forum software actually is, but maybe there is an issue converting their database over to something more modern. I don't know. I offered the NTBA a dedicated forum on this site, but nothing ever came of it. At one point, someone from the NTBA contacted me about supporting this site and I repeated the dedicated forum offer. And once again, it died on the vine. 3 or 4 of their 'bubbas' ended up over here, telling me what I needed to do so this site would be more like their own and it didn't take too long for me to run them back out of here.

I could easily set up some dedicated forum sections for the NTBA to use here. I could also set up private forums for them to use. With a list of their members, I could set up a new usergroup that would allow each of them access to private forums for NTBA members only. We could set their tech articles up in our Tech Library. I think it would go a long way toward unifying T-Bucket owners and fans, which seems like it could only be a good thing. But all of us are aware they have themselves a a very small handful of problem-children. No need to name names, we all know who they are. I'll not endure any of their games on this site and they damn well know it. I'm quite sure that bunch find it easier to put up with antiquated software than to play well with others and they would scream like mashed cats if we tried to move them into their own space over here. In the end, that leaves the NTBA folks to moderate those bampots and I reckon I'm really OK with that. :winkn:

As for this site, we're always going to stay atop software changes. Our photo gallery software works just fine, but just wait until you see the upgraded version that is about to be released. As soon as it is available, I will upgrade. I've always been that way and that is what has kept us up to date with new features and functions. How many T-Bucket sites out there have registration integration with OpenID, Twitter and Facebook? How many T-bucket sites out there allow sharing topics with Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Buzz, Deli.cio.us, Reddit and StumbleUpon? How many T-Bucket sites offer tech articles that are so closely integrated with their forums? How many T-Bucket sites offer photo galleries so closely integrated with their forums? How many T-Bucket sites offer Classified Ads so closely integrated with their forums? How many T-bucket sites offer a Support Desk at all, much less one so closely integrated with their forums? You might find sites that offer one or two of these features, but find another one that offers them all. In about 45 minutes time, I could have integrated blogs set up on this site, too. People don't seem interested in them, so I've not bothered with the expense and maintenance to add them. But they are available, if there is enough interest in having them. Imagine having your own blog, hosted on this site. No need for you to buy hosting and learn how to use WordPress, you could have a blog right here. Maybe there will be enough interest in them, one of these days.

I think (hope?) we're offering everyone the most robust T-Bucket forum experience available and it is my plan to keep doing just that.

I suspect (and it really is just a guess) they've made enough modifications to the 3.0.x software, that they would have a problem bringing all those modifications up to date and have decided to just keep using what it working for them.

ha ha. boy does that ring a bell for me. I once ran an OS in my business software called PC MOS (multiple operating system). it worked really well for what I needed it for, but I never upgraded for years. once I got so far behind the curve it became imposible to upgrade and then when Y2K came along the company just let the software die anyway. My business software support gal told me I was the last business in the US still using PCMOS with their software. I ended up buying a whole new hardware and software system for very big bucks. that was a valuable, and expensive, lesson for me.

======
PS: <> one hour, we're headed out of town for about 10 days, so ya'all stay warm and stay out of trouble wile we're gone... ok? :jester:

happy new year everyone!!
Russ/Jennifer

Leave it like it is Mike. You have created a great site where we can learn for each other and we can voice our opinions with out some mouth. And when some get offended it is worked out with out bashing and more bashing. We are all grown ups and true Hot Rodders. I think of this site as my LARGER family. I was with the NTBA and didn't let it get past a year when I saw how much hate some had and if you were not with them then they didn't care for you anyway. I too haven't visited their site in a while and don't even care to. I do see some have come here and it is awesome to see them. Do I miss the Nationals.....No. As for their site well here the membership is free and we ALL get along. Over there they charge (of course I don't see what the money goes to since the site is way outdated and they charge you to attend your own event) but if they took that money and put it to the site then it maybe better but as with "cliques" they dont want you there anyway so they wont change. Matter of fact since I no longer pay for their membership to nothing I can start paying it to you for helping keep this site going. :kiltdance: :eek:k:

Mike I truely love this site and the people here. As I said earlier I love my new LARGER family here...and that goes for EVERYONE.. :wub: ..that goes for you too RPM... :hey:

I try to never get behind the curve, when it comes to software. I've always been known to live on the bleeding edge. And I have more than a few scars to prove it!

HAceT, I appreciate the kind words about this place. I can't make this place perfect for everyone. I know that. I try to make the best I can and let the cards fall where they may. Some people don't care for this site and have left, which they were always free to do. Some people just couldn't be bothered to be governed by the same rules as everyone else and they have also left, just not of their own free will. Some people come here and pull what we call a "one and done" registration, where they register for the site, only to leave and never return. But we've also got a core of active and friendly members, and they're the ones that have helped this site become what it is.

Leave it like it is Mike. You have created a great site where we can learn for each other and we can voice our opinions with out some mouth. And when some get offended it is worked out with out bashing and more bashing. We are all grown ups and true Hot Rodders. I think of this site as my LARGER family. I was with the NTBA and didn't let it get past a year when I saw how much hate some had and if you were not with them then they didn't care for you anyway. I too haven't visited their site in a while and don't even care to. I do see some have come here and it is awesome to see them. Do I miss the Nationals.....No. As for their site well here the membership is free and we ALL get along. Over there they charge (of course I don't see what the money goes to since the site is way outdated and they charge you to attend your own event) but if they took that money and put it to the site then it maybe better but as with "cliques" they dont want you there anyway so they wont change. Matter of fact since I no longer pay for their membership to nothing I can start paying it to you for helping keep this site going. :kiltdance: :eek:k:

Mike I truely love this site and the people here. As I said earlier I love my new LARGER family here...and that goes for EVERYONE.. :wub: ..that goes for you too RPM... :hey:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1 on what HAce T said. I too was a member over there and got real tired of their format and the attitutes. I like this site and expecially like how Mike runs it. Trouble-makers, guys with chips on their shoulders, and wanna-be know-it-alls are not welcome around these parts. That leaves us good guys that just want to have a good, civil discussion about a great hobby :nod:

This Forum has a "View New Content" button, a feature that is an absolute necessity for those of us that don't have hours to spend digging through all the different sub-forums.

This forum is run by a benevolent dictator. An absolute necessity to keep a forum civil. Ryan, the guy that runs the HAMB, is a stellar example of that concept. The NTBA forum is run by committee and will never be as effective at keeping out the riff raff (not that it matters as the NTBA forum is all but dead).

It's a darn shame what has happened to the NTBA and the forum there. I've participated on that forum since 1999 and it was a real good thing at one time. As I said earlier, I'm a life member of the NTBA and I enjoy going to the Nationals every chance I get, but the forum is just about gone in my estimation.

p.s. The Nationals event is free to all members.

I live by the "View New Content" button. Wonderful.

" An absolute necessity to keep a forum civil." Well... it actually IS civil here. This is one of the most civil forums I've been on since playing with them (starting with the BBSes) in the early 80s.
I have learned SOoo much from this place and regularly use this forum as a model (when talking to car-guys and my IT students) of how a respectful forum can be run.
Mike... for what it is worth, my hat is off to you and your "helpers" here. :tip:
Group hug time?

The nationals wasnt free when I went in 09 and I was a member and when I asked a question about it I was trashed, but hey thats the past. I did meet some good people. Anyway I love it here. :kiltdance: And BenT...I love the looks of your rides, and hope to one day see them up close.

The nationals wasnt free when I went in 09 and I was a member and when I asked a question about it I was trashed, but hey thats the past. I did meet some good people. Anyway I love it here. :kiltdance: And BenT...I love the looks of your rides, and hope to one day see them up close.

Thanks! I think we're going to make it to the Nationals in Dayton this year...Its only about an 1-1/2 hours away. I'd love to meet any of the guys here there.

2010 was the first year the NTBA Nats was free for members and will be this year also.

Damn, am I somehow being perceived as being 'benevolent'? :foottap: Time to tighten the screws a bit, if that's the case. :winkn:

Photoman, a hard-learned lesson for me was this - If you want to guarantee zero results on a project, turn it over to a committee. Nothing will ever be accomplished, ever again.

And no, that is not a joke. I'm being serious as a heart attack.

Mike
Who is this Ben Evo-Lent fella. Does he have a Bucket. I have never met him
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back