Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Plan submission for advice

Steakneggs

Hey guys,
So if you see anuthing wrong with what I have in mind, please chime in.
I still remember my first car show 30 years ago, seeing those 33×21" Mickey Thompsons, and a dozen years ago I still wanted enough power to need such tires.
Now I'm thinking more like 245/60R15 Radial T/As on 15x8.5s. Not sure about the front, I'm currently leaning toward 205/60s on 7s.
I have a new points distributor with centrifugal and vacuum advance for a SBC, and I have a carbuteted intske manifold for a '96-'99 Vortec 350. I also have a carb, a long iron water pump, and a new 1-wire 10Si alternator.
I have a 4L80E, but I'm hoping to sell it and find a 200-4R like the '85-'88 Monte Carlo SS.
I'd love a front end like Heidt's tubular Mustang II-based IFS, but to my perspective, trying to adapt S-10 parts looks like something I could afford to do successfully and while not glamorous, at least not ugly if cleaned and painted carefully.
I don't love Japanese cars, but the late 1980s RX-7 steering column is a lot thinner than the GM columns, for more knee room.
I really like the IRS in the mid 1980s 300ZX, and it offers a 3.36:1 gear possibility, though most were 3.70-4.11. Those used the common 5 on 4.5" lug pattern. Not the same as the S-10 front, but plenty of wheels offer both patterns.
The Vortec 350 offers 255 horsepower, and in this car that should be plenty.
I do want a folding top of some sort, so I think it needs the pickup box?
I know the front tube should be 2.875", but I can get DOM 3" with 0.120" or 0.188" wall thickness. Do I need 0.188", or is it overkill?
The most comfy seats I ever rode in for hours on end were in an older VW Jetta, so those will need a test fit.
Since the S-10 used the same front brakes as the Camaro, and the Camaro offered rear discs with specs similar to the 300ZX, the rear-discs-Camaro proportionong valve seems worth trying.
As for steering, probably manual rather than power, to keep it clean and simple.
And that's as far as I've gotten.

Wow! First, welcome. :) You have a lot of parts that sound like they will work, but it depends on your ability to do some creative engineering when you put them all together. I see no red flags, but I have zero knowledge of the 300Zx's IRS. The S-10 IFS will give you a better ride than the traditional "suicide" front end, but looks-wise . . . that's your call. And manual steering is the way to go on cars this light. Get it started and see where it leads. :thumbsup:

Welcome, and by chance did you work at the Waffle House? :D:D:eek::eek:
Your handle is what I really like for breakfast!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::):)

I've got quite the build planned for mine also. Theres no right or wrong way to build these. Make it yours.

If you want some IFS ideas, check out what the locost 7 guys are doing. You can adapt it over with some simple engineering.

Just keep in mind that a T bucket usually has a very exposed look to it and IFS can quickly get big and overpowering visually if you aren't careful.
It HAS been done quite successfully mind you...but it takes careful planning and consideration of the components used. Looks wise, things seem to go bad on a bucket pretty fast if you don't pay attention to the visuals and plan things out accordingly.
Have fun! They are fantastic little machines. I miss mine constantly...

I have a 4L80E, but I'm hoping to sell it and find a 200-4R like the '85-'88 Monte Carlo SS.
It's going to be hard to find a 200-4R from a Monte Carlo SS. Don't be scared to grab any complete
trans you can find, best if it's never been into before so you know everything is right. You will be
depending on it for putting it back together from all the pics you take. It won't be hard to build it
for 255 HP.

I had 3 complete 200-4R trans, but I sold one. I bought all the 200-4R's from a trans shop that was
closing, so I got lots of spare parts also. Even got a few pieces of New Old Stock.

FP04_CompletedInventory_00939.jpg

FP04_CompletedInventory_00953.jpg

I had never been into an automatic before, so it can be done if you are so inclined. I would talk to
Chris Kokkonis at CK Performance or Dave Husek at Turbo Buick Performance if you decide to do
it yourself and need parts and guidance. Chris wrote a book on building the high performance 200-4R.

Precision Automatic Transmissions & Internal Components | GM | Ford | Street | Race | Custom | Retrofit
TurboBuickPerformance.com

There is some good documentation in the thread below, it takes 17 pages to cover the rebuild to handle 500 HP.

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/tbucket-200-4r-transmission-project.7230/

Great input, thanks!
I've done a 700R-4 using a B&M kit, before I started it had only first and reverse, afterward it had all gears.
It seems most of the remaining 200-4Rs are in Caprices, which is fine with me, hopefully they got less abuse from granny or grandpa.
I agree with the visual bulk of GM IFS, but while tubular arms are available, both uppers and lowers, for Malibu's and Montes and S-10s, and therefore 2WD Astros, they'll have to wait.
I would prefer rack-and-pinion steering, and may attempt it. Fox Mustang manual racks aren't that costly, especially if the GM parts are super worn.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back