Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Plastic windshields?!

Clint, are you running with a plastic WS? Also, that thread is only 7 years old. Ted Brown was still with us!

I've been very happy with mine after 2.5 years. You do have to be more careful, you can't rub hard on the bugs. I use a wet rag and wipe it, continuing to keep it wet. Finally the bugs start coming loose. Then I use a dry micro fiber towel to put the final touch on it. Takes me about 15 minutes. It still looks the same today, except one little rock ding.

You do have to been careful and go slowly when drilling. I know, I snapped a drill bit off it when drilling a pilot hole for mirrors.

Like I said it's been 2.5 years so I can't remember for sure, but I believe it's Lexan.

Plexiglass Sheets, Fiberglass, UHMW, Polycarbonate & Engineering plastics: Plexiglass vs Lexan Matchup

Plexiglass (acrylic sheet) aka Lucite, Plexiglas, Perspex, Acrylite
  • 92% light transmission - clearest plastic sheet available - about 15% cheaper than polycarbonate
  • large variety of colors available
  • light pipes through the sheet edges
  • does not yellow or discolor in the sun - 10 year warranty regarding 2% loss max.
  • optically water clear in all thicknesses
  • inert - no outgassing
  • thermoplastic - working temp of 180F continuous
  • burns very nicely after you remove a flame source - fire rating UL94HB
  • scratches - can be restored by sanding and buffing
  • resistant to breaking - when breaks pieces are large and dull edged
  • recyclable
  • easily bonds with solvent adhesives to itself and other plastics
  • hydroscopic (will absorb a small amount of moisture on side facing moisture (warps)
  • available up to 4" thick as a monolithic cast sheet, and thicker via custom casting
Lexan (polycarbonate sheet) aka Tuffak, Makrolon
  • 88% light transmission - very clear - about 15% more expensive than Plexiglas acrylic sheet
  • limited colors available (white, black, bronze, gray, sign colors)
  • light does not pipe through sheet edges
  • untreated sheet discolors in 5-7 years of sun exposure - UV coatings available to extend 15 years
  • inert
  • optically clear - loss of some light transmission in higher thicknesses (5% in 1/2")
  • thermoplastic - working temp of 275F continuous
  • self-extinguishing fire rated 94V0 - UL rating depending on thickness
  • scratches - cannot be restored by sanding and buffing
  • resistant to breaking (virtually impossible to break)
  • recyclable
  • easily bonds with solvent adhesives to itself and other plastics
  • bullet resistant grades are available - all grades of BR levels
  • hydroscopic (will absorb a small amount of moisture on side facing moisture (warps) and therefore difficult to thermoform without pre-drying
  • available up to 1/2" thick as monolithic extruded sheet, up to 2" as a molded sheet
Applications:

Plexiglas Acrylic Sheet:
Safety glazing (up to 17 times stronger than glass)
Boat windows and hatches
Machine Guards and Electrical covers
Display cases
Brochure holders
Picture Frames
Lighting
Anywhere you need a clear, impact resistant, easy to cut and maintain sheet

Polycarbonate Sheet:
Safety glazing (unbreakable)
Bus Windows
Machine Guards and Viewing ports
Anywhere you need a clear, unbreakable, high working temperature, easy to cut sheet

FP01_WindshieldPost_6119.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back