Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Powder coat rotors?

Bowtie T

Getting ready to get my suspension parts powder coated. Has anyone had their rotors powder coated
or is it even practical? Going to have my axle & spindles powder coated, was wanting to have it all
match.

I have done it on motorcycle rotors. Don't pc the brake area (of course) and leave the mounting areas bare also. The coating will go away under bolt heads and any place they mount, cause something to come loose.
Lee

We do them all the time at our shop- We just did some last week for our '23 project - I'll take a pic when I get a change.

We do them all the time at our shop- We just did some last week for our '23 project - I'll take a pic when I get a change.
Ben,

When you powder coat rotors do you use a special hi temp product? I know nothing about paint that doesn't come in a spray can but I do know rotors get hot. I would really like to know more about this process and how it holds up.

Thanks,

George

I do not want to step on anybody's toes but I powder coat my own parts.

You can purchase the powder almost anywhere
just to not use your wife's oven
purchase another oven used during the temperature up to 400° and cook it
I hope nobody gets mad at me

George: Sorry for the late reply-guess I missed it the first time. We don't use a special powder on the rotors. The typical polyester modified powders works great - we've never had any issue with it burning off - The rotors on my '27 were done 6 years ago and look perfect.

I do not want to step on anybody's toes but I powder coat my own parts.

You can purchase the powder almost anywhere
just to not use your wife's oven
purchase another oven used during the temperature up to 400° and cook it
I hope nobody gets mad at me

Don't know why anyone would get mad? Yes, there are many folks that do their own - just like they paint their own cars. If you have the time and a little equipment, its definitely doable at home.

George: Sorry for the late reply-guess I missed it the first time. We don't use a special powder on the rotors. The typical polyester modified powders works great - we've never had any issue with it burning off - The rotors on my '27 were done 6 years ago and look perfect.

Don't know why anyone would get mad? Yes, there are many folks that do their own - just like they paint their own cars. If you have the time and a little equipment, its definitely doable at home.
Ben
You have a shop and I do not want to take any business away from you I wasn't sure if I was stepping on anybody's toes .
but I do appreciate your input time just being careful not to offend anybody .
I do a lot of business shortening housings and building third members I also spline a lot of axles for people among other things I do.
I make my extra money to play with all of my cars I never take anything financial out of my paycheck .

George: Sorry for the late reply-guess I missed it the first time.

Ben,

No problem, I was just curious about the heat on powder coated rotors. I really don't know much about it and we are building a car with solid iron rotors. This could be the process we need to look at. Since this car will be a road racing car there will be a lot of heat buildup and I was looking at some type of corrosion protection. You might well have answered my question.

George

Sound like you need an HPC coating of some type. Here's who I've used for the exhaust on my truck, but there are many such companies in the U.S. http://www.hpcoatings.co.nz/

We do this kind of ceramic coating as well. The concern with it is that it is a thermal barrier. That works well with headers where you want the heat to not be absorbed by the pipes (heat soak), but on a solid rotor, you could be trapping in the heat which would not be a good thing. I ceramic coated the brake drums on my '27, but they really don't get hot enough to worry about. A solid rotor for a road race car is different. We do have some other coatings that are thin and handle the heat, but are not ceramic. If there was a concern with the powdercoat, there are higher temp offerings that will go higher that the typical powders.

We do this kind of ceramic coating as well. The concern with it is that it is a thermal barrier. That works well with headers where you want the heat to not be absorbed by the pipes (heat soak), but on a solid rotor, you could be trapping in the heat which would not be a good thing. I ceramic coated the brake drums on my '27, but they really don't get hot enough to worry about. A solid rotor for a road race car is different. We do have some other coatings that are thin and handle the heat, but are not ceramic. If there was a concern with the powdercoat, there are higher temp offerings that will go higher that the typical powders.

Ben,

Do they make a clear coat for use with powder coating?

George

yes- you can get any sheen from High Gloss to matte.

Thanks Ben. I'll keep that in mind. I always liked the bare metal look as it exposes all your craftsmanship and all your faults. The faults always stand out much better!

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back