Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Project truck . . .

There are doors for it. The good and the bad. The good is we have been extremely busy in the shop. I can't even get in here as much as I would like. The bad is the truck has not been touched in close to a year now. Maybe one day. I think I have just about all the parts, but just no time.

I imagine you don't feel much like working on your stuff after building other people's stuff all day. I felt that way when my shop was going.

Reactions: RPM
I am also anxious to see the truck at a future meet. I think when you bring it out we may have the only two Caddy 500's in the group.

Reactions: RPM
John
I haven't had any problems with my Caddy. I have been running it since I bought the car in 2001 from the guy who built it in Louisiana. I have no way of knowing how many miles the engine has on it. The builder said it has a mild cam and it does have a slight lope at idle but runs very well at any RPM. It has the original intake manifold which is very restrictive and I have installed an Edelbrock spread bore carb - I have an Edelbrock aluminum manifold that I will put on it when I get to it. It had homemade roadster headers as pictured in my avatar which I recently replaced with lakes headers. One disadvantage of the Caddy 500 is that it shouldn't be revved much above 4,500 RPM with the stock lifters and rockers which mine has. That isn't a problem for me because it has a tremendous amount of torque and performs very well on the street in a T-bucket. The other disadvantage is that aren't as many aftermarket go fast parts available as for more popular engines and they are more expensive. There are several suppliers that do have the parts and even build complete engines - they are easy to find on the web. The engines are known to very durable because of the metals used in the block casting and they are not heavy as many believe. Sorry for the long answer but I do really like my Caddy 500.

We put one in a '68 Chevy half ton truck. The oil pan was the big issue, but after modifying it, it was a nice swap. Very strong, smooth, pleanty of power. You don't need the rpm if you have the torque and the correct gears, imho. Not for a driver anyways.

Yes it is a 500 Caddy mated to a 200r trans, with a 3.42 rear.
What mods have you or are you going to do to the 200r? I have one that I plan to install in a gs skylark convertible behind a 455. Thinking about the clutch basket, etc...

What mods have you or are you going to do to the 200r? I have one that I plan to install in a gs skylark convertible behind a 455. Thinking about the clutch basket, etc...
To be perfectly honest, I don't know. The local hot rod trans shop did the trans for it. It is supposed to lock up when it goes into overdrive, thats about all I know, and really need to know. I am not the transmission guy.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back