Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Purple Powder Pickup

I like the bed liner thing. I used it on my sedan delivery on the underside of the body, where things were not needed to be painted with color. It holds up really well. Your pick-em-up is looking good. You have to be getting excited.
Lee

With the uncertainty of the future of the forum, this may be the last post regarding this build. I am happy to report that we are really close to having the Purple Powder Pickup on the road. We got the body mated back to the chassis and went through and replaced all the suspension hardware with the final bolts and nuts. Just prior to doing that , we did swap out the stock torque convertor to a 2600 stall version that will be much better in this light T. The body went on smoothly and we were able to get the dash and wiring buttoned back up as well as the taillights, gas tank and other items. The windshield posts and frame were smoothed, blasted and coated with a silver ceramic coating which gives them a polished aluminum look. We'll get windshield glass pattern done this week and off to the glass shop. To get the bucket on the road as fast as possible, we decided on only having the seat upholstered at this time, so we didn't have to give the car up for several weeks. The upholsterer has the seat and we should have it back in a week Should look sharp. Interior will be purple tuck and roll with heavy flake silver vinyl inserts. We ordered enough to finish the interior over the winter. For now, we bought some cheap grey carpet at Lowe's and will make a temporary interior. We started tackling the bed cover and have it built. Once we get the hinges on it, we'll send it off to the upholsterer as well.

Today we mounted and re-adjusted the brake pedal and re-bled the brakes. We'll get it back running this week and we should get the police inspection done next week. Hopefully legally on the road by the first of September!

If this is it for this site, look for some finished pics on the NTBA facebook site on the next month: Log into Facebook | Facebook This is a closed group, but all you have to do is ask to get in. Lots of good folks on it. If you are not a Facebook guy, check out their web site and forum at: National T-Bucket Alliance - Index page

Here are the current pics:

Getting Closer!
We dropped the seat off about two weeks ago (with some very quick sketches of what we were wanting) and we picked the seat up this morning from the upholsterer. This is the same guy that did the upholstery in my '27, so we had a pretty good comfort level. He definitely nailed it from the sketches given and the look we were wanting. Got it installed and it fits great and is very comfortable (even more than mine!). The seat belts are temporary until the rest of the upholstery is done. These are left over from a previous project - we'll try to match the purple.

After getting the seat installed we did the final install of the windshield post and the windshield frame. We then measured and made the mockup of the glass. We'll have that cut later this week.

Definitely getting close. We'll have it running around in the next week or two and we should have the inspection done in a week and a half for the titling.

Its been a long,but fun journey. We should be able to wrap most of this build blog in the next few weeks with it being 99.9% done this winter in anticipation of putting it in our booth at the Indy World of Wheels in February.

Last edited:
Getting Closer!
We dropped the seat off about two weeks ago (with some very quick sketches of what we were wanting) and we picked the seat up this morning from the upholsterer. This is the same guy that did the upholstery in my '27, so we had a pretty good comfort level. He definitely nailed it from the sketches given and the look we were wanting. Got it installed and it fits great and is very comfortable (even more than mine!). The seat belts are temporary until the rest of the upholstery is done. These are left over from a previous project - we'll try to match the purple.

After getting the seat installed we did the final install of the windshield post and the windshield frame. We then measured and made the mockup of the glass. We'll have that cut later this week.

Definitely getting close. We'll have it running around in the next week or two and we should have the inspection done in a week and a half for the titling.

Its been a long,but fun journey. We should be able to wrap most of this build blog in the next few weeks with it being 99.9% done this winter in anticipation of putting it in our booth at the Indy World of Wheels in February.

Very nicely done, Ben. I especially like the way the seat was done. If guys would follow your posts on the selection and modification of that seat they would have an inexpensive and comfortable seat. They would also sit "in" their T rather than "on" their T.

Jim

Well, a bit of good news late last week... After having the police inspection and turning in all the state required paperwork about 2 weeks ago, we received the "MVIN" number from the State of Indiana. Now all we have to do is have a second inspection to show that the assigned MVIN number has been affixed to the frame in a "workman-like manner" and we can go down to the BMV and purchase the registration and plates. This was much more of a hurdle when I did my '27. The state must have realized the mess it used to be and streamlined the process and made it much clearer.

We buttoned up a few loose ends and we were able to run the car up and down the street some on Saturday. After a few quick adjustments to the freshly rebuilt carb, the little 283 runs and sounds great. The brakes, steering and suspension all appear to be working well. Getting it out for a few longer stretches this next week will be more telling, but I think we're in pretty good shape. Left to do the next week is to clean the blue protectant off the whitewalls, pop the baby moon caps on, and fashion some temporary interior panels. We'll get the rest of the interior and the bed cover done over the winter. Here are a few pics from Saturday - This is my uncle Dennis's car and the pics are him driving.

Time for the long-overdue update!

We're closing on on it fast. I'm happy to say that chassis is 100% complete and ready to go. In the last month or three, we've gotten the drivetrain completely finished as well. The wiring is 99% complete (only the license plate lights to wire), the plumbing is 100% complete, the M/C is mounted, pedal works, and the brakes have had a preliminary bleed. The steering column is completely fabricated, the shaft is done and everything steers and works properly. the windshield frame was fabricated from 7/8" solid aluminum we milled and has been put together. The dash panel is done and painted and the gauges done (photos do not show the dash installed). the latest hurdle we accomplished was modifying and making the shifter linkage.

Instead of taking the easy (read $$) way out on the shifter, we picked up a rusted and frozen early mustang shifter at the swap meet for $10. We blasted, cleaned ,rebushed, trimmed the mounting and then whacked the handle off and welded an extension made from 5/8" chrome moly bent in more of a swan shape. We then had to remake the cable within and make sure it still operated properly. Once we had the operation working properly, we made custom linkage to connect the ford shifter to the Chevy T350. After a little adjustment, it works properly and we have about $15 invested + our time.

We still have the emergency brake and the gas pedal to mount, as well as mounting the windshield frame and getting glass cut.

We'll be starting it this next week and if all goes well, perhaps driving it some next weekend! The plan is to get it mechanically sound and wrapped up this month, then pull the body off of it for paint this winter. Hopefully, we'll get it into upholstery by early January. The goal is to have it done to be put in our booth at the Indy World of Wheels in February.

Hare are a few pics I took today:

what kind of gas tank you runnin

Cory: Its an 11 Gal poly tank originally from an industrial pressure washer. 2 of them were left at the dumpster at the building next door to our shop when the last tenants moved out. We like to be eco friendly here:roflmao:, so we decided that they needed to be re-purposed. Still had gas in them! We made a plate to accept a sending unit and pickup, a new cap, and some mounting brackets then gave it a good cleaning. The other one is red and we'll probably use it on the next build.

RPM makes some good steel tanks - Either standard sizes or custom.

Cory: Its an 11 Gal poly tank originally from an industrial pressure washer. 2 of them were left at the dumpster at the building next door to our shop when the last tenants moved out. We like to be eco friendly here:roflmao:, so we decided that they needed to be re-purposed. Still had gas in them! We made a plate to accept a sending unit and pickup, a new cap, and some mounting brackets then gave it a good cleaning. The other one is red and we'll probably use it on the next build.

RPM makes some good steel tanks - Either standard sizes or custom.
I talked to ron. If my battery touches tank kaboom.. I like that plastic. I dont know if i can make this seat tilt up like yours or not for under seat batt.

Cooter, I am using a Odyssey 925 battery. They are roughly 6x7x7 in size. Have had it 3 years with no problems. They can be mounted about anywhere. Make an abs cover for it, so you would have no problem with arky sparky.
Lee

Cooter, I am using a Odyssey 925 battery. They are roughly 6x7x7 in size. Have had it 3 years with no problems. They can be mounted about anywhere. Make an abs cover for it, so you would have no problem with arky sparky.
Lee
I like them batteries

OK! Got the final inspection and all the registration done!!! With plates on the car Saturday we were ready to cruise! First cruise was 1/2 a mile to the gas station where a large black gal was so excited with the car, she threatened to knock me out of the passenger seat and jump in. I think it took Dennis 5 minutes to stop laughing. Plenty of thumbs up and honks during our maiden voyage Saturday where we put on about 125 miles incident free. While we still have a few items such as the rest of the interior and the bed cover to button up, we're on the road and that is a huge milestone for a project that has taken several years and a lot of effort and work. This is my uncle Dennis' first Hot Rod or special car or any kind. You can believe how great it feels to see him light up when he gets a wave or honk. I don't think he's wiped the smile off his face yet!

The great thing is that we finally made one of our deadlines which was to be done and on the road for the Indy NTBA Regional event this weekend that we are hosting. Here are a few pics from this weekend:

OK! Got the final inspection and all the registration done!!! With plates on the car Saturday we were ready to cruise! First cruise was 1/2 a mile to the gas station where a large black gal was so excited with the car, she threatened to knock me out of the passenger seat and jump in. I think it took Dennis 5 minutes to stop laughing. Plenty of thumbs up and honks during our maiden voyage Saturday where we put on about 125 miles incident free. While we still have a few items such as the rest of the interior and the bed cover to button up, we're on the road and that is a huge milestone for a project that has taken several years and a lot of effort and work. This is my uncle Dennis' first Hot Rod or special car or any kind. You can believe how great it feels to see him light up when he gets a wave or honk. I don't think he's wiped the smile off his face yet!

The great thing is that we finally made one of our deadlines which was to be done and on the road for the Indy NTBA Regional event this weekend that we are hosting. Here are a few pics from this weekend:

Awesome

Nothing like a roadster on a cool evening! Coupes really are for chickens and that is what my son has.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back