Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Putting a floor in my T.

Cheaper than gas....

go figure!!!!

Man, that was a tough lesson to learn on PVA. I feel for ya. I'm sure you know now, but for others in the future, while PVA does create a barrier between parts, you still need a waxed hard candy shell on the mold. Something that's non-porous, wether it be a 2K surface primer or foil tape, etc. The PVA will just absorb into bare wood, cardboard or plaster and not help at all.

6-28-15 3.JPG

Finished with FeatherFill G2, smoothed to 220 grit and waxed with a mold release. Not car wax.

7-26-15.JPG

Then the PVA is truly a "floating barrier" between the parts.

8-9-15 6.JPG

I'm glad you got it worked out. And believe me, I know the grief in a sticky mold that comes off in pieces. I've had them too.

Not very professional but I've had good luck w/the clear packing tape & the "clingy" kitchen wrap for making small parts...If you know someone who has access to the 2" wide rolls of "packing wrap" that works good also..
dave

Those are some very nice parts. I also made a seat for a Sand Buggy/VW roadster. I will try and find a pic.

Found them. I also did the fenders as well.

And the dash in this one. Seats not finished around the joint. They were 2 part.

Last edited:
And this is what the little roadster looked like when finished

There was some SERIOUS work in that little bug.

Very nice work.

As I had the body on its own I thought I may as well do some paint on it in the colour I finally decided on. Many years ago I spent a small fortune on a complete House of Kolor Candy red system. The whole lot, from primer to finished top coat, but as The T was yellow to begin with and I like lighter colours on small bodies I decided to buy some 'Bright Yellow' and give it a quick blow over.

Usual stuff of sanding, guide coats, DA, filler, DA, hand blocking, and so it went on.

I will now hand it over to pictures as there is not a lot more to say. The final result was, for me, just perfect. A One piece body with the floor molded in. Strength, shiny on the bottom and made to fit my chassis. There are one or two things that bug me a little but unless I take molds of the whole thing and start again, I will live with them.

Just for future reference the guy who did the original body (a VERY well respected UK rodder) told me that to stop the top of the cowl from getting a downward curve the mold should be split at the feature lines each side and NOT in the middle...

more pics to come.

Last edited:
Nice! That came out great.

More pics. As I mentioned it was a HOT summer...

I gave the top side a few shots of Yella first.

And then moved onto the new floor.

Fitted the dash I made and painted it in situ.

And that was that. Thanks for looking.
Gerry

Gerry, what type of paint did you use. Are the last pics after cutting and buffing?

Came out really nice.

Used good old cellulose and that's straight out of the gun with a final wet coat.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back