Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Question for you guys running ZOOMIE headers . . .

skullman

Now that my bucket is on the road I really want to put zoomies on it. However I'm concerned that since it is used for everyday driving around town that having the zoomie exhaust aimed toward the cars on either side might be a problem. Do you guys with zoomies have any problem with that?

skullman said:
Now that my bucket is on the road I really want to put zoomies on it. However I'm concerned that since it is used for everyday driving around town that having the zoomie exhaust aimed toward the cars on either side might be a problem. Do you guys with zoomies have any problem with that?

You better wear ear plugs. When I ran the Sanderson zoomies, I couldn't believe how loud they were. You'll lose some torque. I fely like the exhaust as coming back at me more with the zoomies as well. I switched back to sprint style headers and 20" turn outs.

Zoomies look great on buckets. Especially, if you have a blower, wheelie bars and a Wild Willy sized wing.

I had trouble muffling mine so eventually went to 4 into 1s and while bit quieter, they dont look nearly as good.

I have managed to lift young ladies skirts with my zoomies, :lol: when I started the car up. Cant do that with regular headers.

It sounds like although the zoomies are cool they may not be the way to go. I've only the car on the road for less than a month and already been stopped for no front license plate . . . so the loud zoomies may not go over very well in the neck of the woods. Thanks for the input.

Todd, You know what picture finatics everyone here is. Why don't you post one showing that dress lift trick?

No photos.

The first time it happened was on the return road at the dragstrip, and it was the lady who hands out your timeslips. She only got caught once!

A few others at cruises, especially in big crowds when I start the car, but the ladies would get mighty suspicious if I pulled out a camera at the same time I started the car.

So far, they have all laughed.

I wish I still had the photo of a set that I installed on a blown Chy. engine.. I made the exhaust manifold using 2x3x1/4wall rect, frame material, cut a long slot 11/2"X6" and formed a v type of collector at the bottom, welded on a 2' flange, head pipes back under the chassis to mufflers and out the back with downturns.. the zoomies then were bolted to the manifold (taped holes) just to look great, no noise and not much heat either... the exhaust pipes can be run back up to the front and out the zoomies using tube to tube connectors so it all comes out each pipe, but now less loud sounds... one way, but I know you got to have LOUD SOUND.. can't Please them all... :lol:

Your right . . . I love loud on a hot rod. The things I don't like so much are excess noice tickets and dealing with angry people if the exhaust has a effect on cars around me. But realistically I tend to be hardheaded and I'll probably wind up trying them at some point . . .

Keeping zoomies quiet is a major. Mine were just too loud to cruise at night without upsetting folk, and the police.

I have only ever seen one other bucket with quiet zoomies. It had a BB Ford and a single four intake. I was told that a blower motor is always more noisy, tho when I get my new engine back together I will get out the dB meter and run the engine with the blower belt running, and then loosen it off to see if the noise drops.

Down here, we have to be under 95dB at about 2000 revs and Im nowhere near. With the Jappa boy racer brigade upsetting everyone, the police are clamping down on noisy cars, so I need to quieten my car down somewhat.

Has anyone else muffled zoomies successfully?

Thanks
Todd

had zoomies for about one week. Got rid of them. They sound great open but are louder than heck and it wears on you fast. Put in baffles I bought from JC Whitney and it sounded like a friggin riceburner.

I think 4 into ones sound much nicer and quieter on the street although mine have no mufflers and are not near as loud and blowing up towards your ears as the zoomies were.

I also love the look and sound of a blower, the belt squeasing the air out form under it, is what makes them sing, the looser the belt, the less singing you get.. But I do not like what a blower does, as I do not need that much power and grief... That is why mine has a stock engine under a cut out case... at this time I am running a stock GM two barrel carb... I have the best of both Worlds this way... :)

I have zoomies on a carbureted 350 with a motorcycle baffle in each pipe. The primaries themselves are 1 3/4 tube, and the baffles inside are about 1" tube with triangles pushed in from the outside like you would make with an old time beer can opener. The end of the baffles toward the open end of the headers has a round flange that fits tight within the primary so all the exhaust has to come through the baffle. It is probably somewhat restrictive, but the car is not a racer. They are actually not as loud as my 409 T which has sprint headers with auger shaped baffles in the collectors, but the sound is sort "tinny" rather than throaty.

I agree with you Ted, but it's my wife's car. 'nuff said?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back