Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radials vs Bias belted tires

Neshkoro

I know they do not recommend mixing radials and bias belted tires on the same car. Some say if you do mix them to put the radials on the back. Have any of you had radials on the front with bias belted tires on the back?
The reason I ask is I want to buy new front wheels and tires for my bucket. There are so many more choices for radial tires compared to bias tires. And I like the look of radials better than bias tires.
It's a financial thing. I don't want to spend that big chunk of money for the rear tires right now.
Just as a note, I mostly just cruise around the neighborhood. I never take it on the highway.
Any thoughts?

JMHO, you should be OK. Handling in a T-bucket is not like a 'normal' car anyway, so the danger of understeer/oversteer by mixing tires is overshadowed by other quirks of handling for most T-buckets. Just be prudent, and don't enter any gymkhanas! :D:geek:

Thanks for the reply, Spanky. I don't drive it on the highway and i don't plan on entering any road course races. Worst case is I would have to go buy new rear tires.

I don’t think it will be an issue either. Never mix em on the same axle, they differ in diameter, but front to rear shouldn’t cause any ill handling. Radials are better handling tires imho, they don’t flex as much, plus they don’t get flat spots from sitting like bias ply. They can ride a bit harsher than bias, so some adjustment may be necessary on a light front end, but air pressure might be enough. Btw, no kidding on budget. Tires have become an investment! Not only have they become pricey, thanks to the epa mandates, the rubber deteriorates and they dry rot well before they wear out. I was told that it was to allow them to break down in landfills. All of the technology and we still dump millions of them in landfills.... they do at least cut them into three pieces so they won’t detain ground water.

There are a lot of T-buckets out there that have bias ply tires on the back and radials on the front. One example is Mickey Thompson bias ply rears and motorcycle tires or small radials on the front. I have a friend who has been selling tires for more than 50 years. He says that when radials first became popular the dealers were advised to tell customers that bias ply and radials don't mix. That way you could sell 4 tires instead of just 2.

when radials first became popular the dealers were advised to tell customers that bias ply and radials don't mix. That way you could sell 4 tires instead of just 2.

Well . . . there's a little more to it than that. Put radials on the front of grandma's Buick, and leave the bias plys on the rear, then let her take a corner in the rain; she'll trade ends for sure!

I don’t think it will be an issue either. Never mix em on the same axle, they differ in diameter, but front to rear shouldn’t cause any ill handling. Radials are better handling tires imho, they don’t flex as much, plus they don’t get flat spots from sitting like bias ply. They can ride a bit harsher than bias, so some adjustment may be necessary on a light front end, but air pressure might be enough. Btw, no kidding on budget. Tires have become an investment! Not only have they become pricey, thanks to the epa mandates, the rubber deteriorates and they dry rot well before they wear out. I was told that it was to allow them to break down in landfills. All of the technology and we still dump millions of them in landfills.... they do at least cut them into three pieces so they won’t detain ground water.
Radial tires handle better because they flex more , bias ply's are stiffer , radials conform to the road surface because the sidewalls are more flexible !1 more thing , they do flatspot....

Last edited:
I know they do not recommend mixing radials and bias belted tires on the same car. Some say if you do mix them to put the radials on the back. Have any of you had radials on the front with bias belted tires on the back?
The reason I ask is I want to buy new front wheels and tires for my bucket. There are so many more choices for radial tires compared to bias tires. And I like the look of radials better than bias tires.
It's a financial thing. I don't want to spend that big chunk of money for the rear tires right now.
Just as a note, I mostly just cruise around the neighborhood. I never take it on the highway.
Any thoughts?
Just a question ........why do you not drive it on the highway ?

I don't like the thing about there only being 1/4" of fiberglass between me and the other guy. No seat belts. If something happens, I'd be toast. I cruise all around town. No tollways, expressways or major highways. That's just me.

Radial tires handle better because they flex more , bias ply's are stiffer , radials conform to the road surface
I don't like the thing about there only being 1/4" of fiberglass between me and the other guy. No seat belts. If something happens, I'd be toast. I cruise all around town. No tollways, expressways or major highways. That's just me.
not making fun, but from my experience, your safer on the highway than in town, etc... in town is where I’ve had numerous close calls, etc... people don’t pay attention. I ride a bike often, so I understand your concern.

Chicken--live life and drive that car like you stole it!! You only live once, so enjoy it with no regrets. Hell, my family use to bet on me not making it to 20yrs old, now look at me, old as dirt and still having fun. No Regrets and no sniveling is the Ranger way..

The older you get the the more fearful you become.
I get it. I have spinal fusions and am always cognizant of protecting my battered self... no longer ten feet tall or bullet proof. But, I can’t just stay home all of the time. I spend more time here than I care to admit. Be safe!

I've been away for a few days. I think as the older I get the longer it takes to recover form anything. Even changing the oil! I'm no chicken. Maybe just smarter these days.

Neshkoro..I'm guessing you don't ride motorcycles either. Drive the hell out of the thing and enjoy it! It's killing me that mine is still up on jackstands.

You're well ahead of me, lol . . .

Still waiting on my kit, just so I can get to the jackstands phase . . .

Darlene

Neshkoro..I'm guessing you don't ride motorcycles either. Drive the hell out of the thing and enjoy it! It's killing me that mine is still up on jackstands.
That's the part I don't like "It's killing me". Like the country song says" I want to go to heaven but I don't want to go tonight"!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back