Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radiator Trans Cooler

These pictures are a look inside the trans cooler ports of an aluminum radiator I recently bought. The clearances in there seem to be awful tight for what the port is intended for which is transmission cooling. The company I bought this from says that it is acceptable and I should have no problems with it. Is this normal or am I reading too much into this because I have never looked in the cooler ports of a radiator before? I am running an external cooler with this but it still seems kind of restrictive.
005_zps7a7e05c4.jpg

003_zps31e17cf5.jpg

Depending on the ambient air temperature that trans fluid coil in the radiator may be a heater, not a cooler. For places where the winter has snow and ice, you need the heater to get the trans fluid to a working temperature. Thats assuming you drive an open bucket in freezin' season, of course.
For places like where I live, where a cold winters day is 8degC, we don't include the engine water radiator in the trans cooling circuit at all. Done it lots and never had a problem.

I don't know what happened to the pictures, I thought they were there earlier when I originally posted but I'll try again. It looks to me that the bungs are too deep. There is plenty of room so that they could have pulled them out another 1/8" or more.
003_zps31e17cf5.jpg

005_zps7a7e05c4.jpg

As the Mango said....your OK as long as ya don't go trying to do burnouts with a cold transmission. Got to remember that the fluid is coming in under alot of pressure. The Radiator trans coolers are for cars that heat the fluid with the motors coolant, that way when the motor is warm the trans is warm.
Now...., for those of us that don't warm these little cars up properly, just jump in and go, you can run just the aftermarket cooler, but a inline thermostat helps regulate the fluids temp. allowing it to warm up faster, especially with a slippery converter that makes alot of heat.
Ya see, when the trans is cold, so is the motor, the fluids just pumping freely. If there was no restriction in there, the fluid would go thru the cooler too fast and would not allow heat transfer.
Now, on the cars that have the external aftermarket coolers and 3000rpm converters, that slipping creates alot of heat, and that heats the fluid up faster, and those units flow a good amount of fluid, so even though theres little restriction, compared to the stock cooler in the trans, theres more back and forth passages allowing the hot trans fluid to transfer the heat to the coils before being sent back to the trans.

The gap inside there looks tight, they should've put a chamfer on the back side of that bung before welding her in....if they say its fine, guess it passed inspection. I'm a Engine Builder and a fab expert, not a trans guru, but it does look tight to me.

Thanks Metal and Mango. I was worried that they might be too restrictive but like you say if it went through too fast it wouldn't allow heat transfer. I'm only running a mild converter so heat buildup there isn't an issue. I'll use it along with the along with the auxiliary cooler and I should be good to go then.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back