Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radius/hairpin sizes

I'm running a four bar on my front tube axle for the reasons stated above. I'm also using an adjustable four "link" in the rear. This is in effect an adjustable traction bar for how you want the car to hook up under hard acceleration. In all, my car is very smooth riding.

Jim

The graphic below shows an example of the kind of twist a hairpin would put in an
axle if nothing else deforms.

Would like to see an example with different dimensions, just let me know what they
are.
HairPins01.jpg

Tundrajax

Just my thinking on the subject of rear hairpins/radius rods. Either of the two being split and attached to the side of the frame rails makes tour rear end assembly a swing arm just like a motorcycle. Main difference is a motor cycle leans on the turns and pivots on the center of the tire patch. In a T-buck the car tries to lean and twist the two suspension components. Those hairpins need to be strong to resist the twisting stress. The second thing is length. Since this is in effect a swing arm I feel the front pivot point should be about where the front driveshaft u-joint is. Look under a early 70 Chevy truck with the trailing arm suspension. This gives you minimum drive line/pinion angle change. While typical buckets usually have very little rear end travel every bit counts. I won't go into the front lengths as it has been pretty much discussed here. I would suggest going to Pete & Jacks website and look at their drawings of front end and steering. One other thing. I know there are a number of companies that build these types of rear suspension systems with no problems and they have been at it a long time. My opinions are just that. Look over everything and make your choice. Articulation is your friend! Best to you on your project.
George

Go long IMO. In theory it will be better but with the limited suspension travel of these cars it doesn't really matter. Longer just looks nicer. I broke a hairpin so I built a 4 bar but you can see the location of the original hair pin bracket.

I am in the planning process and noticed you used the hemi rod ends instead of the ones with nylon bushings. How is that working for you?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back