Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Radius rod bolts

Lateral movement w/a transverse spring is controlled BY THE SPRING !! In order for it [the spring] to work properly it must be installed "in tension" . In order for that to happen , the distance between the spring pivots must be greater than the spring in it's relaxed state . You should HAVE to use a spring spreader to install the spring !! The tension in the spring will then self center the the axle to the frame. It's all really pretty simple.
dave
I am a novice, so please forgive my ignorance. But I was surprised to read this as I installed my spring without using a spreader. I didn't even know they existed. Maybe I did it wrong??? Here are a few pics of it installed. Is it installed incorrectly?

What about the fact that the panhard itself pulls/pushes the axle left and right as it moves up and down? Maybe that's not an issue due to the limited travel of these suspensions? Shackle movement is probably greater than the radial difference that occurs due to panhard movement. Overall, I guess there's a net gain with the panhard.

Jack
Bob hit it nail on the head. With a properly designed flat panhard bar and the longer the better, movement is minimal. This is the way a frame builder of 40 years explained it to me. Straight driving with a buggy spring panhard bars do little. But when hitting a hard curve all the weight on a suicide front end (called that for a reason) is shifted to nothing BUT the front spring to hold the axle center. If you run a panhard bar, the BAR will take the stress if the weight transfer, letting the spring do the work of a spring, and not double down as an axle locator. Puts much less stress on the spring and shackles making it a safer better design. Sure it will work without one but if I can spend $50 on 2 rod ends and a stick of DOM to make my car safer I'm sure going to do it. Just my 2 cent and would NEVER fault someone else with a different opinion. ;) :thumbsup:

No panhard on mine and it has been driven many miles (by PO fitzee and a few by me as well!) on good/bad/indifferent roads. No issues at all with darting or the like.
Reversed Corvair box and a long drag link. Tight spring and shackles.
Not sure if I posted this before...but check out the two ruts in this part of the highway. We have many stretches like that due to a lot of big rig traffic I guess.
65-70mph and a full day to cross the island.
Left "St John's" at 7am, dealing with every possible road style and also road construction along the way, and rolled on the "Port aux Basque" ferry to Nova Scotia at around 11pm that night. (Inc visiting friends and fuel/Tim Horton stops along the way of course!:coffee::D)
No issues at all.
Vid's less than 30 sec long...use 360p for a good quality....

Hackerbilt...

You brought up one important piece of information that seems to have been forgotten by all. The type of steering box set up can cause side thrust loads that could shift the axle to one side or the other. With your car you are using a long drag link to the left front spindle/steering arm and that design shouldn't cause any problems. With a cross steer setup the side thrust from the steering link could cause some side movement of the axle. If you go to Pete & Jakes online catalog they show that setup and state that you indeed do need to run a panard bar. if you don't run the panard then I would suspect that a steering dampener would probably helpin it's place. Also I have to believe that when Henry Ford was building the beam axle/buggy spring front ends he was running on really narrow tires, low speeds and crappy roads with ruts and really didn't have side movement issues. Now we have wider tires that will grip a vertical wall while gaining speed, lots of power and great highways. Not to say the old style front ends won't cut it but they probably can use a little bit of help. So many different style cars with varying issues that it really comes down to what suits your needs. Just think about what you need, execute your plan correctly and stay safe.

George

George

Hackerbilt...

You brought up one important piece of information that seems to have been forgotten by all. The type of steering box set up can cause side thrust loads that could shift the axle to one side or the other. With your car you are using a long drag link to the left front spindle/steering arm and that design shouldn't cause any problems. With a cross steer setup the side thrust from the steering link could cause some side movement of the axle. If you go to Pete & Jakes online catalog they show that setup and state that you indeed do need to run a panard bar. if you don't run the panard then I would suspect that a steering dampener would probably helpin it's place. Also I have to believe that when Henry Ford was building the beam axle/buggy spring front ends he was running on really narrow tires, low speeds and crappy roads with ruts and really didn't have side movement issues. Now we have wider tires that will grip a vertical wall while gaining speed, lots of power and great highways. Not to say the old style front ends won't cut it but they probably can use a little bit of help. So many different style cars with varying issues that it really comes down to what suits your needs. Just think about what you need, execute your plan correctly and stay safe.

George

George

Thats very true about the steering type (cross steer) having an effect on the axle. I ran into that 20+ years ago putting a Deuce chassis together and cured it with...a Panhard Bar! LoL
Didn't think to relate it to this thread! (Wheres the "facepalm" smilie?)

O.K. guys. I'm not worried about lateral movement. I know that the Heims on the batwing end WILL allow longatudinal ? movement so that the Caster will change just because of the degree of Heim joint movement which is about 6 degrees each way ( back and forth). Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Butch

O.K. guys. I'm not worried about lateral movement. I know that the Heims on the batwing end WILL allow longatudinal ? movement so that the Caster will change just because of the degree of Heim joint movement which is about 6 degrees each way ( back and forth). Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Butch

Butch,

As your axle travels up and down the wheel base can change some very small amount depending on what type of suspension design you have. A true 4 bar that is parallel to the ground with both tubes being parallel with each other will cause the axle to swing on a given arc and will shorten the wheelbase by some small number but the castor will stay the same. Radius rods will also change the wheelbase a small amount but castor will change. So, if you have a panard bar locating that axle then it to will travel to the rear some small amount. This will happen weather it is a poly, rubber or spherical bearing. But the heim or spherical bear set up will have no binding in the system. Poly bushings do not like that axis deflection. They are designed to rotate around the through bolt axis. The same goes for the rubber bushing although it can deflect a little better then the poly unit. This is one of the main reasons I like everything mounted in double shear. They all move to some degree but it is such a minute amount that you won't notice it. But you do have to have a well designed system that causes that minimum change. When it comes to sherical rod ends you need to think of them as nothing more then tie rod ends or ball joints. All swing line pivots are located on the center line of that steel ball. So the distant from that ball to the center of the opposite end will never physically change. Only the the arc length can change and that is true no matter what type of ends you use. Only the heims give you maximum articulation with zero binding. One other thing. Some people don't like them because of fear of dirt getting into the ball housing. There is a company called Seals It that makes seals that are trapped on either side of the ball and housing. You will need to allow .100" per side to install them. They are only a couple of dollars per set and well worth the effort. Sorry to make this so long but I hope this will clear up any questions you might have. If not then slap me up side my head and I'll try to help you.

George

Butch...you have me lost.
There should be NO looseness in a Heim joint at all...let alone enough to offer 6* of Caster change.
Do you actually mean that the rotation of the entire radius arm around the chassis mounted Heim will make a difference of 6* in Caster over the full range of suspension movement? I'm not seeing that either...

Can you post a picture of the problem area???

There is a company called Seals It that makes seals that are trapped on either side of the ball and housing. You will need to allow .100" per side to install them. They are only a couple of dollars per set and well worth the effort.

George, a few questions about this... I'm planning to replace all the heims in my front end (including those tying the RRs to the frame) with Speedway's "Precision Rod Ends." Speedway says they have a Kevlar race and Kevlar/Teflon lining, so I'm thinking they'll be an upgrade for the plain ends that are on the car now.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Precision-RH-Male-Heim-1-2-Inch,29635.html

I'm also thinking about installing their rod end seals on each one:

91001503_T_158ccbef.jpg

My first question is whether these 1/2" rod ends are the best I can buy at this general price (about $9 ea), or should I be looking at a different supplier or different type of end? You seem to have answered my question about the usefulness of the seals (assuming they're the same type), but I'm wondering also how to deal with external corrosion. All the ends I can afford say they have carbon steel bodies. Does that mean they'll rust, or are they zinc plated? What's typical of these parts?

Jack

I'm using Midwest Control Products MX series Heims. 5/8" has 19K lb load rating. Has nylon race. Not expensive. Always buy from a supplier that gives full specs. These are chrome-molly, chrome plated. Also be sure to use the standoff spacers so that joint can't bind during side-to-side movements.

I'm reasonably sure those seals don't work w/ the precision ends , the body is thicker & doesn't afford the space needed. IIRC the seals only work w/ the standard ends .
dave

Thanks for pointing that out Dave. You're right, those seals don't fit the "Precision" rod ends. Bill, I looked up the MXM ends, and they're more affordable than the Speedways. Midwest also sells the seals for about $2.50 per rod end. Do you have a history using ends with nylon races? I'm just wondering how they hold up compared to teflon or kevlar. Of course, my only other choice looks like a combination of Speedway kevlar ends (if they're plated, something I don't know yet) and the Seals It end seals that George mentionied. That raises the cost a lot, because both those products are more expensive than the Midwest items.

Incidentally, I apologize if I've hijacked the thread. Thanks for everyone's help with this!

Jack

Thanks for pointing that out Dave. You're right, those seals don't fit the "Precision" rod ends. Bill, I looked up the MXM ends, and they're more affordable than the Speedways. Midwest also sells the seals for about $2.50 per rod end. Do you have a history using ends with nylon races? I'm just wondering how they hold up compared to teflon or kevlar. Of course, my only other choice looks like a combination of Speedway kevlar ends (if they're plated, something I don't know yet) and the Seals It end seals that George mentionied. That raises the cost a lot, because both those products are more expensive than the Midwest items.

Incidentally, I apologize if I've hijacked the thread. Thanks for everyone's help with this!

Jack

Jack,

I really don't know who builds speedways rod end bearings so I really can't comment on them. Also I don't know anything about the Midwest bearings that Bill Ellis is using. I did look at their web site and they look to be a big operation so that probably speaks well of them. Over the years I and most Pro Stock chassis shops have used Aurora bearings 1st choice and FK Bearings 2nd choice. I don't think Aurora will sell direct but FK used to so I'm assuming they still do. There are a number of other US manufacturers building these things that are just as good. They all offer pretty much the same product but most will be limited as to you having to go through a bearing house or a dealer. There are a number of lining choices but the Kevlar is something new to me. For high powered shock loads like a Pro Mod or a Pro Stock car generates we normally used a hardened ball and a 'moly body with No Teflon as it would mash out. As a routine maintenance check the rod ends would be pulled out and mic'ed for overall length as the upper 4 link units were prone to stretch over time. It's a long story and maybe Mike the Man might want to speak on that subject as he raced some of those type of cars. But for the street you need to think differently. There are several things I would look for. First would be liner choice. I always used Teflon but I would and will check out Kevlar my next go round. The second thing I would look for is how tight is the ball in the liner. I like to see one tight enough that you need to put a long pin through the ball and use force to twist it in the race. If it's loose out of the box then it will just get worse as time goes on. As to material choices... For ball material I prefer a hardened alloy steel or a stainless material. The body can be a carbon steel if the load specs are enough for your application. I prefer the alloy steel units for that safety factor. All bodies are either hard chrome plated or protective coated for corrosion resistance. The last thing I strongly recommend is No Zerk Fittings. This is just a point for crack to start as it is a stress riser. Most street vehicles will never have a problem but if you run big tires and can stick them then why take a chance. You can download any of the on line catalogs and get all the technical information you could ever want.

One other thought. Dave said the Seals It seals won't work with the precision rod ends. I am assuming he was referring to the high misalignment style of rod end and he is probably correct. Now Seals It has added a ton of new seal products since I last looked so that might have changed. If not then here would be my suggestion. From left to right this would be my stack up of parts based on a .50" bore ball. Tube spacer w/ .50 ID, Seals It seal, .50" rod end, Seals It seal, tube spacer w/ .50 ID. By doing that you can use standard parts. The outer spacer tubes will clam the seal washer against the ball and you're good to go. I hope this wasn't to long and I hope it helps you in your search for the answers you are looking for. I know I will get a lot of argument as to running spherical rod end bearings. I personally like them as they reduce slight misalignment issues and eliminate binding. That being said, OEM type on bushings will do pretty much the same thing but alignment in the fabrication is more critical. So take it for what it's worth and go get your back sides to work. Anyone that wants to talk to me about then just PM you're phone number and I'll call you. Thanks for listening.

George

http://www.aurorabearing.com

http://www.fkrodends.com

http://www.qa1.net

www.sealsit.com (Note: my google search says this site may have been hacked and I don't take chances.)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sealsit.php

George, a few questions about this... I'm planning to replace all the heims in my front end (including those tying the RRs to the frame) with Speedway's "Precision Rod Ends." Speedway says they have a Kevlar race and Kevlar/Teflon lining, so I'm thinking they'll be an upgrade for the plain ends that are on the car now.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Precision-RH-Male-Heim-1-2-Inch,29635.html

I'm also thinking about installing their rod end seals on each one:

91001503_T_158ccbef.jpg

My first question is whether these 1/2" rod ends are the best I can buy at this general price (about $9 ea), or should I be looking at a different supplier or different type of end? You seem to have answered my question about the usefulness of the seals (assuming they're the same type), but I'm wondering also how to deal with external corrosion. All the ends I can afford say they have carbon steel bodies. Does that mean they'll rust, or are they zinc plated? What's typical of these parts?

Jack

Jack,

I looked at the Speadway link you posted and here's my thoughts just from past exsperience. $5.99 ea. for a 1/2" X 1/2" rod end sounds awfully cheap. I see no markings of any kind on any of their rod ends Speedway is known for off shoring a lot of items. I would call them and ask who builds them. If they can't tell you or give you a name that doesn't take you to a well known source I would pass. Even though they might warranty a bearing failure it won't cover any car damage or medical bills. It's your life so just how much are you worth? Better yet, how much does your family think you're worth? Stay Safe!

George

Thanks George, that's a lot of good info. I found several rod ends I like at the Aurora and FK links you posted, but I wasn't able to find pricing for either company. I don't think they sell to the public. About Seals It, I visited their site earlier today, and the seals I found for 1/2" ends work out to about $4/end. That adds a lot to the cost of refurbishing the links, and it's almost twice the cost of the seals at Midwest. The rod ends at Midwest are also reasonable; 1/2" rated for 16,000 lbs run about $6.50 ea. for qty of four (drag link + tie rod). The only thing I'm not sure about is the nylon liner. Nylon is a pretty soft plastic, so I'm concerned about longevity. I might want to speak with them about this before ordering. That's a good idea about contacting Speedway, but at this point, it might not be worth pursuing. Their 1/2" Precision ends are $9 ea., and if I add the cost of Seals It seals (because the Speedway seals don't fit), I'm at $13 per end. That's starting to get a little pricey, and I still have to buy four 5/8" ends for the radius rods.

FWIW, I usually don't quibble about spending money on parts like this. However, I've already spent much more since I bought the car than I ever thought would be necessary. Unplanned items over the last three months have included all new wheels and tires (defective), and I just spent over $2K replacing the transmission. By the time I'm done with all the maintenance items - plus the upgrades I originally planned in order to make this more streetable, such as a top - the cost will probably be half again as much as I paid for the car. It's all my fault for not doing more due diligence, but what's done is done. So as not to be misunderstood, I'm not complaining, I really love this car. I drive it to work every chance I get, even when it's 35* outside. I just don't want you to think I'm targeting low cost as the first priority. If there's a valid reason to spend more, especially for safety-related parts like heims, I'll do it. Otherwise, I need to contain the expense as much as possible. So, at this point, I'll probably go to Midwest for these items. It depends on the issue regarding the nylon liners. I don't want to have to do this again for at least 25,000 miles. :D

Jack

Thanks George, that's a lot of good info. I found several rod ends I like at the Aurora and FK links you posted, but I wasn't able to find pricing for either company. I don't think they sell to the public. About Seals It, I visited their site earlier today, and the seals I found for 1/2" ends work out to about $4/end. That adds a lot to the cost of refurbishing the links, and it's almost twice the cost of the seals at Midwest. The rod ends at Midwest are also reasonable; 1/2" rated for 16,000 lbs run about $6.50 ea. for qty of four (drag link + tie rod). The only thing I'm not sure about is the nylon liner. Nylon is a pretty soft plastic, so I'm concerned about longevity. I might want to speak with them about this before ordering. That's a good idea about contacting Speedway, but at this point, it might not be worth pursuing. Their 1/2" Precision ends are $9 ea., and if I add the cost of Seals It seals (because the Speedway seals don't fit), I'm at $13 per end. That's starting to get a little pricey, and I still have to buy four 5/8" ends for the radius rods.

FWIW, I usually don't quibble about spending money on parts like this. However, I've already spent much more since I bought the car than I ever thought would be necessary. Unplanned items over the last three months have included all new wheels and tires (defective), and I just spent over $2K replacing the transmission. By the time I'm done with all the maintenance items - plus the upgrades I originally planned in order to make this more streetable, such as a top - the cost will probably be half again as much as I paid for the car. It's all my fault for not doing more due diligence, but what's done is done. So as not to be misunderstood, I'm not complaining, I really love this car. I drive it to work every chance I get, even when it's 35* outside. I just don't want you to think I'm targeting low cost as the first priority. If there's a valid reason to spend more, especially for safety-related parts like heims, I'll do it. Otherwise, I need to contain the expense as much as possible. So, at this point, I'll probably go to Midwest for these items. It depends on the issue regarding the nylon liners. I don't want to have to do this again for at least 25,000 miles. :D

Jack

Jack,

Call Speedway on Monday and get a fix on rod end brand. They might well be US manufactured but I would want to be sure. I did notice that Speedway said the ball was really tight and they are Kevlar/Teflon lined. and I like that. I looked on S&W Race Cars site and they sell FK and I seem to remember buying from the manufacturer direct but it was a long time ago. QA1 also sells direct. Instead of using seals you could just spec the bearings with either a harden alloy ball or a stainless ball. They should handle your corrosion issues. I don't think you're a cheap-o by any means as I understand the cost of building and rebuilding cars of any type. I'm all for low balling it as much as possible. You might call S&W and ask for Scott Weney. Tell him his Arkansas Hillbilly friend George told him to give them to you for free . I'm sure he'll go for that. Tell him what you're doing and ask him for recommendations. He feels the same way I do as to using poly bushing suspension links. He's a good guy and will be glad to talk to you. I can't remember his extension number but the desk will hook you up. S&W # 1-800-523-3353. As to getting the Midway units, I wouldn't be opposed to running them myself. Lots of choice. Good Luck.

George

I too looked at teflon vs nylon. The reason I chose nylon is that it has a higher axial load rating than teflon. The Midwest site has a search feature. The MTM-10 teflon/chrome molly joint [5/8-18] has a load rating of 10,350 lbs. The MXM-10 has a load rating of 19,750 lbs.

Some added info about Midwest Controls. Made in USA.

Midwest Control Products Corp (MCP) began operations in 1967 and operates factories in Bushnell, Illinois and Sales Offices in Bushnell, IL, USA, and Oxon, United Kingdom. Originally a tube fabricator, MCP has expanded its product line over the years to now include linkages (ball joints, clevises, clevis spring pins, spherical rod ends and yoke ends), flat bar fabrications, tube fabrications, upset forgings, wireforms, contract zinc electroplating, contract powder painting, and push pull cables. Today, MCP ships to over 9,000 different OEM's (original equipment manufacturers) and distributors worldwide.

Some added info about Midwest Controls. Made in USA.

Yes, "Made in USA" was the first thing I checked. I'm really appalled by the number of automotive components - especially critical items like brake parts - that can't be sourced from anywhere but Asia now. Anyway, the Midwest MXM-8 1/2" ends that I need first are rated at more than 16,000 lbs. That probably implies nylon is OK for this, but I'm not sure the race's compressive strength is necessarily related to its resistance to surface wear from frequent motion. I'll call them first, and Speedway too. As George pointed out, the Speedway precision ends might not need seals. They do say the teflon liner "seals out dirt and debris," but I need to confirm the other issues, including country of origin, before making a decision. I'll post whatever info I come up with on all this.

Jack

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back